Tip For Mmu Application - Wears Longer / Non-chalky

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who would appreciate more staying power from their mmu, without a heavy feel or look, I found something which has been working well for me.

Before I apply my foundation I apply a light layer of kaolin clay to my entire face with my foundation brush, and then I apply my foundation. Over that, I apply a light layer of "serecite" as my finishing powder which gives a nice "soft focus" flawless look. The clay seems to make the foundation last all day without much shine coming through, and the serecite sets the makeup without making it look dry or chalky regardless of how many layers of it I apply. Also, I can and have applied the serecite throughout the day if needed, but find that I almost never have to do that.

Also, I've been using Katie's application method of swirling, sweeping and then buffing my minerals. Very easy, and very nice results. Thanks Katie!
five.gif

CooCoo
silvia.gif

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think a primer would do the same thing. You're right - it probably would. I really like how the kaolin clay makes my face feel, and I'm not allergic to it. So many of the primers make me break out. I guess it could be used as an alternative to using a regular primer or in my case, I use it as my primer.
Plus, I forgot to mention, when I do get a little oily in the T-zone area, I can apply a very small amount of the kaolin clay along with the serecite so that it absorbs all the oil and freshens up everything. I don't like to mix the two in one pot because some days I just want to keep it separate. Sometimes I use the serecite alone - other times I don't use either. The weather and your body chemistry change things so much.

CooCoo
atom.gif

usually you can find clays in healthfood stores. you can also look in shops selling essential oils, maybe online?

thanks for the tip !

Hi Coocoo, do you think that this will work for tanned complexions too or will the 2 white powders be too whitening?

Originally Posted by Yola /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Coocoo, do you think that this will work for tanned complexions too or will the 2 white powders be too whitening? Hi - I think it will work out just fine with tan complexions, since you're using the clay as a light base coat and then apply your foundation color over it. As far as the sercite adding any white haze - it doesn't happen that way. It just gives your skin a nice "soft focus" over your blush and makeup. In fact, I got the idea from one of the finishing veils I had ordered. It's ingredient label listed only 1 ingredient and that was serecite. I belive it was the Signature minerals brand. It's claim was that it would not add any color or whiteness to your face, but just give it a nice creamy flawless finish. I've since used the serecite as a prilmer/base and skipped the kaolin. I use the kaolin as a primer mainly when it's very humid out. That helps control the oil on those muggy sauna days. I like the way the serecite melds with my foundation and am especially pleased that I don't have any oily T-zone and have an overall flawless creamy complexion even by day's end when I'm ready to take it off! It really is a fine addition to my finishing veils. And the best part is that it's very, very inexpensive!
I purchased the kaolin clay from Soapies (on-line) and Coastalscents (also on line). I purchased the serecite from Coastalscents as well. You can try it in an ounce size. I purchased a pound because I share it with my sister and other family members. It's really excellent and worth trying. I find that it really brings out the best in any of the mmu that I use, adding that creamy look that so many people rave about.

Coocoo
sheep.gif

Originally Posted by Kristines /img/forum/go_quote.gif Would you consider this a concealer or just a base foundation Neither.
rotfl.gif
I'd consider this just a primer to be put underneath the foundation. A light dusting of either the serecite or the kaolin clay. Both help the foundation to adhere. Both absorb oil but do not dry out the skin. I use a light dusting of the sercite underneath my mmu foundation color and then apply my blush and then apply a light dusting of the sercite over that to "set" my makeup. I'm finding that my makeup goes on better, faster and I use less of it to get the desired coverage. I also find that I almost never have to blot my face during the day.

On very humid sticky days I apply a very light dusting of the kaolin clay as a primer (mostly in the T-zone), then the foundation and then a light dusting of the serecite (or if it's really horrible out - 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity) I apply a bit of the clay in the T-zone and then a light dusting of the serecite.

Thanks Coocoo. I will buy sericite as you recommend soon but I'm wondered those kaolin and serecite will clog the pore or not? Do you have any special routine to clean your face?

Originally Posted by poy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks Coocoo. I will buy sericite as you recommend soon but I'm wondered those kaolin and serecite will clog the pore or not? Do you have any special routine to clean your face? It doesn't clog my pores and is listed as noncomedogenic (which means "doesn't clog pores" - I looked it up
rockwoot.gif
) If you look on the list of ingredients in the mmu that you're already using, chances are you'll already see these 2 minerals in that list. Personally, I haven't experienced any of the minerals clogging my pores. The only experience I had with foundation clogging my pores was when I used liquid foundation and one of the major reasons why I'm a mmu convert.
glasses.gif

And, no - I don't use anything special to remove my makeup. A wash cloth and soap and water in the shower usually does the trick. The only time I use anything special to remove my makeup is when I use waterproof mascara. And then, I either use Eye-Q's (by Sally Hanson), or baby oil soaked on a cosmetic pad.

You're going to especially like the serecite as a finishing veil/powder. It really makes your skin look silky smooth and perfect.

CooCoo
rotfl.gif

Latest posts

Back