To get extensions (or not)...

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
I got my hair cut few months ago into a bob, and for about 3 months I was fine. Then about a month ago, I kind of freaked out, realizing that I had cut my hair!

I started wearing the clip in extensions (got them from my stylist), and now I'm considering extensions. I realize how time consuming they are to put in, and I also realize how much money I would be spending.

Would I be better off just buying more clip ins or actually getting the full-on extensions? I'm looking for any type of advice (good and bad).

 
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Brelki I got my hair cut few months ago into a bob, and for about 3 months I was fine. Then about a month ago, I kind of freaked out, realizing that I had cut my hair!
I started wearing the clip in extensions (got them from my stylist), and now I'm considering extensions. I realize how time consuming they are to put in, and I also realize how much money I would be spending.

Would I be better off just buying more clip ins or actually getting the full-on extensions? I'm looking for any type of advice (good and bad).

I really don't have any real personal experience with extensions, but i think i would stick to the clip ons since i have heard that real extensions can damage your hair. Although on the other hand i've heard wonderful things about greatlengths extensions, sorry dunno.
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
818
Reaction score
0
Its great you posted this!! I actually just cut about 10 inches off my hair
and now I too am starting to freak out!! I had asked a friend of mine the other day if she knew anything about them and she didn't so I went online and tried to get as much info as I could (which really didn't help) How do your clips work? Do they stay put? I also heard that its time consuming as well!!

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by XxCalixX Its great you posted this!! I actually just cut about 10 inches off my hair
and now I too am starting to freak out!! I had asked a friend of mine the other day if she knew anything about them and she didn't so I went online and tried to get as much info as I could (which really didn't help) How do your clips work? Do they stay put? I also heard that its time consuming as well!! I have the clips, and I also have some that are just ponytails, etc. that clip in. The full clips took me a while when I first got them, but now it takes me maybe 15-20 minutes to put them in. The ponytails and such I can put in my hair in about 5 minutes. Both stay put all day long, although I don't suggest riding in a convertible with the full length clips (trust me). Riding in the convertible with the ponytail clips are fine though. Actually, this picture below is of me with the ponytail clip in. I have them in all different lengths. My tendrils in the front are actually how long my hair actually is.


 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Oh btw, either way, make sure you get REAL hair. I bought one that was horse hair or something like that, and it tangled like crazy!!

 
Joined
Aug 21, 2005
Messages
818
Reaction score
0
Oh wow I like the ponytail on you!! Looks real! Some woman Ive seen with the ponytails you can tell right off. Ive still got a ton of hair, Im more of less looking to full out the bottom of my hair. I had found a pic of a wig that had a great cut so I took it to the hairdressers and my reg. hairdresser wasnt there so I went with the new girl!! She had never cut anything like what I wanted before. I was scared lol, but she did alright. Not what I wanted! I ended up coming home and putting more angles in the front myself!! She cut the last layer in my hair too thin. So I've either got to cut the last layer off (which I dont want to do) or find away to even it out to the rest of the layers! Thats why I was thinking of getting the extentions.

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by XxCalixX Oh wow I like the ponytail on you!! Looks real! Some woman Ive seen with the ponytails you can tell right off. Ive still got a ton of hair, Im more of less looking to full out the bottom of my hair. I had found a pic of a wig that had a great cut so I took it to the hairdressers and my reg. hairdresser wasnt there so I went with the new girl!! She had never cut anything like what I wanted before. I was scared lol, but she did alright. Not what I wanted! I ended up coming home and putting more angles in the front myself!! She cut the last layer in my hair too thin. So I've either got to cut the last layer off (which I dont want to do) or find away to even it out to the rest of the layers! Thats why I was thinking of getting the extentions. Oh my gosh! That sounds a LOT like my story! My regular hairdresser wasn't there either.
I got a color and cut that day, and went back a week later to have my regular hairstylist fix both. Ugh... Anyway, you might look into getting clip ins. I like www.hairuwear.com or even QVC, but you really do need to look carefully at the swatches (the first one I bought online didn't match my hair), but if it's real hair, you can dye it to match yours.
Hope this helps!
 
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
3,640
Reaction score
1
Hi!

I have extentions in my hair now and I love them! This is my 4th time having them in. They last about 4-5 months and they are real human hair.

I've done it all-- weaves, clips, wigs and these are by far-- the most natural looking and hassle free thing to do. I had damaged my hair by bleaching alot and I cut ALOT of hair off to try to get it healthy again.

The extentions not only do not damage your hair but they have actually helped my hair grow out. I have them sewn in strand by strand. NOO glue on my head at all.

It takes about 10 hrs to do and it cost me about $700 Canadian (but it all depends how much hair you want). I recommend it!!!! Its like an addiction though.. once you get them in and you feel the fullness and see how great it looks, its very hard to get use to your hair once you take them out. Your own hair feels like a small, thin little ponytail compared to the volume and fullness of the extentions!!!!!!!!!!

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
It is very expensive to have them put in, and I'd definitely reccomend sewing them than gluing or bonding. But honestly, that ony looks great! I've seen that pic before and I didn't know it was a clip until now... Have you tried Toni's stuff on QVC (or hsn... I forget) my mom has them, and they're really nice!


 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
NYAngel98: Thanks! Yes, I have a few of Toni's Ponys.
They're great and the people at HSN are super nice about letting you exchange them if they're the wrong color.

 
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
15,067
Reaction score
2
I've seriously considered getting extensions but my stylists said they are not meant for people with fine, thin, fragile hair like mine.
Is this true or does it depend on what kind you get?

 
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
3,640
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Little_Lisa I've seriously considered getting extensions but my stylists said they are not meant for people with fine, thin, fragile hair like mine.
Is this true or does it depend on what kind you get? Anyone can get extentions! My friend has ALOT of hair but she likes alot of volume so she gets only 15 strands of hair (not a weave) sewn into the back part of her head (attatched to her hair of course) just to give her hair that extra *UMPH* ya know?!
It looks great on her. If you have the time and the cash I say go for it!
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
2,607
Reaction score
3
does anyone know if its ok to get a 5 pcs clip on set instead of 7 or 10? I'm not looking for volume just length , would I need more volume with longer hair?

 
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
3,436
Reaction score
0
how do you wash your hair with the extensions in? dont your fingers get caught in them when you wash your hair? dont they get damaged?

 
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
303
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Hi!
I have extentions in my hair now and I love them! This is my 4th time having them in. They last about 4-5 months and they are real human hair.

I've done it all-- weaves, clips, wigs and these are by far-- the most natural looking and hassle free thing to do. I had damaged my hair by bleaching alot and I cut ALOT of hair off to try to get it healthy again.

The extentions not only do not damage your hair but they have actually helped my hair grow out. I have them sewn in strand by strand. NOO glue on my head at all.

It takes about 10 hrs to do and it cost me about $700 Canadian (but it all depends how much hair you want). I recommend it!!!! Its like an addiction though.. once you get them in and you feel the fullness and see how great it looks, its very hard to get use to your hair once you take them out. Your own hair feels like a small, thin little ponytail compared to the volume and fullness of the extentions!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of extensions do you have?
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
1
My friend got extensions and she liked them a lot... I think they were sewn in also... but I saw this thing on TV that showed extensions that were attached with a "protein bond" or something instead of glue, and supposedly it is not damaging to the hair at all.

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by TheOpenRoad My friend got extensions and she liked them a lot... I think they were sewn in also... but I saw this thing on TV that showed extensions that were attached with a "protein bond" or something instead of glue, and supposedly it is not damaging to the hair at all. I'm a little wary of any type of "bonding"... I'm not that familiar with extensions, but I'd stick with the braid-in application -- just to play it on the safe side
 

Latest posts

Top