To wear eyeliner or not....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think with a full eyeshadow look you need eyeliner to define the eye. i have small eyes and i always feel my eyes look better with a line on the top. i feel like it finishes off the look. never do lower and upper. i have droppy eyes and doing this just highlights the fact and drags them down more!

dark gray would be a good alternative if black looks too harsh. or a little bit of silver in the corner near the tear duct.

Try just outlining the outside edge of your eyes top and bottom only.....sometimes this is enough.

I have to say I love the smokey eyes look ,my sixteen year old looks super cool with this look,I just

can't carry it off for some reason,however I am a blond so maybe that explains it.

Like to say hi to you anyway,my names Fran !!

I guess I'm kind of lucky because my eyes are already quite big, so at most, my eyes just end up looking "average" when I line the top and bottom of my eyes with black. But I don't do it all the time, I just tend to do the top.

Like what people have already suggested, you can always line only the top and use white liner for the bottom. As we all know, white really helps to make eyes bigger and appear brighter. And don't feel silly for using brown liner while wearing black, experiment with colours! Your makeup doesn't HAVE to have the exact same colour scheme as your clothes, that would be too matchy-matchy.

When I line in black, my eyes look and feel boldly lined.  When I line in brown, it feels more like just a darker line to my natural eye.  (It doesn't "feel" so much like I did an eye-liner lining)

The whole neutrals look has been massively popular, especially since Naked came out, and a natural look should go with anything and everything you put on, so I wouldn't worry about brown (neutral/natural colored) liner with any colored clothes.

...I just realized this thread is over two months old. I'm guessing you've already tried some of the suggestions by now haha

Originally Posted by coffeegal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was recently told by a MA that I shouldn't wear black eyeliner. She said like little black dresses, black eyeliner makes the eyes look smaller. Since I already have smallish eyes, I don't want them to make them look any smaller, but I feel naked without my eyeliner. I've tried wearing just eyeshadow and mascara - it looks fine when I take the time to do multiple eyeshadow colors, but when I do one color wash, I don't feel like I look put together and feel as if I look sleepy. I don't have full eyelashes either, so I feel like the black eyeliner compensates for that. I'm probably way off base with that. Maybe a gray eyeliner would be better for me? Or a brown? But with Brown eyeliner, does it look silly to wear the brown liner with black clothes?

Please help me girls! Thanks!
I dont know, i dont think thats true. I think its how you line your eyes. for a reallly long time I didn't wear black eyeliner because I have small eyes too. 

I actually line my eyes right under my waterline and my eyes look huge. not crazy costume huge either. 

Play around with it a bit and find out whats best for you.

I also smudge brown from the outer corner and drawing the line finer as i get into the inner corner. I do that on my more natural days. 

http://www.thebeautyfulblog.com

I love liner.  Top AND bottom.  Don't line all the way.  Many makeup artists do it.  Line midway and let the liner fade in, eventually it will move to the rest of the lid, but lightly.  Girl, it's up to you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Do what you want to do.  Who cares.  Trust me, no one is gonna say, "she's a sweet girl and I like her, but you know what?  Those eyes just look too small with all that liner."

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love liner.  Top AND bottom.  Don't line all the way.  Many makeup artists do it.  Line midway and let the liner fade in, eventually it will move to the rest of the lid, but lightly.  Girl, it's up to you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Do what you want to do.  Who cares.  Trust me, no one is gonna say, "she's a sweet girl and I like her, but you know what?  Those eyes just look too small with all that liner."

LOL so true

I agree with experimenting with colours. Sometimes brown eyeliner is better than black - it gives definition but its not as harsh. Also, use eye shadow as a sort of eyeliner too - grey or brown etc. It may work better. The fun is in the experimentation! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been experiementing recently w/brown liner, after wearing black liner forever.  I have tried blue and gray in the past - gray did not work for me.  I line both top and bottom, and sometimes top only.  I read somewhere that eyeliner may cause under eye wrinkles?  At any rate, I normally wear eyeliner on a daily basis, unless I am skipping makeup all together.

Shimmery black liners might make the eyes look larger... or maybe a gunmetal gray? It's dark, but I guess not all the way black. All in all wear what you think looks nice!!! It's your face...embrace it!

I have a small eyes & I can't wear liner on my top lash line. If I do wear liner, I do a very thin line and add a little bit of white liner in my tear duct. That way my eyes appear bigger and I get to wear my eye liner.

Back