Tough times for Manders...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amanda, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have some experience with terminally ill patients in my family and Kelly's advice was spot on. Getting your bf to face it is tough, but it is something he needs to do. You're awesome Manders.

My mom had cancer and I didn't deal with it well, I mean I never really thought it was 'real' thank god she surived because I was in denial basically the whole time. I don't know what I would have done if it took her.

I don't have any advice but I hope she pulls through. You're very kind to care for her, love you manders!

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank You everyone! Especially Kelly....your advice was perfect.
Today at chemo I opened all my swap and ebay packages. All of the chemo patients and nurses were laughing hysterically at these lashes I bought from Hong Kong. They are huge lashes with glitter stars on them. They made me promise to wear them during the next session. I told them I was going bring lashes for everyone. They loved that idea!!

I guess I have had a little experience with this....I have had clients that went through cancer and chemo. They would visit me at I would make them up and we would joke and laugh. It really helped alot...so that's what I'll do. I also went out and bought a bunch of cute scarves. When we are together I am going to wear a cute scarf on my hair too....I think that will help her feel more comfortable. I printed out a stack of "ways to tie head scarves" we went through them and we're going to practice.

Thanks again everyone!!

Amanda, I've never gone through something like this, so I'm not able to give advice but I feel all the advice that has been given has been excellent. I just wanted to say this you just said is such a beautiful thing. You make me cry. Those are wonderful ideas and they say so much about you. Wearing the scarf with her will let her know you're with her through this and it'll make her very happy.
Wish you both the best

Nicole your story really touched me, it actually brought tears to my eyes. My Nan passed away in December last year and I was so close to her too. It was unexpected, she went to hospital with a sore leg and 2 weeks later she was gone! Turns out she had a deep vein thrombosis and lung disease!! The doctor never caught any symptoms because she was 87 so when she complained about her breathing he never thought it was anything more than age.

She lived with us for almost 20 years and when she died, it was the worst day of my life! I miss her so much, she was there for all the major events in my life for 27 years and I can't believe she won't be there for the rest!

Amanda, I am so sorry you are going through such a horrible thing. But it sounds like you are doing the right thing. All you can do is be there for her, try to be strong and try to bring her a bit of cheer where you can.

OMG, I have to go to the loo now before everyone at work wonders why I'm sitting here teary eyed!!

I went out yesterday with some people I did my student teaching with last year. With the group from my old school was a cancer survivor who is going to go back in the classroom in 2 weeks after a year off to deal with the disease. I never really got to know her, but wow what a great outlook on life.

i just lost my dad a lil over a year ago, he didnt have cancer but he was sick for years befor he finally pass away, i remember when i first found out i was in denial, i wouldnt want to talk about it but he did, watching him suffer wasnt easy but he was a fighter and said he would do anything just to live another day, i know its not easy to watch someone you love sick and know that the worst could happen, i think what your boyfriend is feeling and going through is normal but tell him to stop being in denial because his mom needs his emotional support, it will help her fight for her life i also think its good to talk about it it might help her to talk about this. i will keep you guys in my prayers

I'm so sorry to hear this, this must be hard
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that you're going through that Manders.

But, it sounds though what you're doing is right for her. Just keep doing what you're doing. I imagine just being there is enough support.

I wish you both the best.

I've been in the exact same boat that you're in right now, Bene.

My grandmother ended up contracting a serious kidney infection, and on top of that she had learned that her heart was also failing her as well. I had a feeling that she would probably pass away rather quickly, and I was very, very scared. Every time I came back to her place, I was afraid I would come home to find her dead. I remember staying up all hours of the night to watch over her to make sure that she was okay.

I was there (alone) when she had passed, and it was probably one of the hardest things that I have gone through in my life.

If there's one thing that I tried my hardest to do, it was to make her last days on this planet as enjoyable as I possibly could. I learned quite a bit about her during those last couple of days, and those are some of the things about her that I hold near and dear to my heart (I'm the only one that knows the story about how my grandfather asked her to go steady on Christmas, and had her pick out her engagement ring on Valentine's day).

I hurts to think about that night, but at least she wasn't alone.

No one wants to be alone when they pass, and I think having someone there makes it easier to go. I'm pretty sure that your "mother" appreciates you being there more than what you could possibly know, and the fact that you're going out of your way to make everything pleasant is one of the best things you could do.

When it's her time, it won't be easy. There going to be quite a bit of pain, and quite a bit of tears and what not. As time goes on it'll get easier to cope, but you won't forget.

If you ever find yourself focusing on her passing, do yourself a favor and go back to all those good times and be thank that she lived, and that she was in your life.

Heck, if need be, write her a letter.

Feeling mad? Go ahead and scream. Best to let it all out then let it fester.

That's what gets me through all the bull.

You got tons of people here though if you ever need a shoulder to cry on.

Manders, I am so sorry you are going through this. As everyone has said, you are doing the right thing. I wish I had some great advice for you, but I don't. My sister has cancer and she has found a lot of help through a support group for her type of cancer. This might help you and your "Mom". Look on line for these groups. If you want, PM me...

Back