Travel - The Great Barrier Reef

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking up the 10 places to see before you die and the first one was The Great Barrier Reef! It looks absolutely beautiful there and i would love love LOVE to go there one day! I was reading that it is considered to be one of the seven wonders of the world!! My question is...has anyone ever been there, what was it like, whats the funnest thing you did (besides getting to actually go to The Great Barrier Reef!!! LOL) and did you get any really good pics you'd like to share with us!!

yup. I've been there. Well, in that general area.

It's pretty amazing. I posted a thread about it a while ago... do a search for gilligan's island, LOL.

but here are some pics:

100_2046800x600.jpg

100_2058800x600.jpg

We actually went for a uni research thing, and so we were doing really random stuff - but we did snorkel with sharks and turtles, and we saw this absolutely massive manta rays feeding.. they were about 15 feet across!

OH WOW!!!! Gorgeous pictures!!! Ill do a search for the gilligans island!!! Thanks for posting your pictures!!!

Ive been there a few times as a teenager, didn't find it that amazing but that was probally because i was to wrapt up in myself to appreciate it.

I did go on the quicksilver cruiser that takes you out over the reef and you can scuba,snorkle or lay in their nets for a while, the day i went out it was choppy and the snorkle instructor seemed to just keep taking us further and further out.. then a reef shark passed under us and then another... that was enough for me LOL..

Its well worth it and I plan on taking my children there when older.

haha, Oz, yes, there are a lot of sharks, they aren't that big or that dangerous, we went out there a few times and it was really scary at first, but you get used to it. One of the people in our group was being followed by a shark! scary!

It's worth it though, the turtles and the manta rays were the most incredible thing I'd ever seen. Just so beautiful and graceful!

Actually, the really funny bit was the veranda of the resort on the island we were at (we stayed on the research station side, not at the actual resort) was that it's quite high up from the beach, and all these parents were letting their kids dabble in the rock pools at the bottom of this little cliff, while they sat on the veranda drinking cocktails. But when you looked over the edge, you could see sharks following the kids around in the shallows - but because of the angle of the water, they couldn't see them! it freaked me out! I wouldn't take little kids there, LOL

I've never been to australia but would love to visit one day. the great barrier reef is at the top of my list of things i want to see if i visit.

rosie, those pics are gorgeous.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif haha, Oz, yes, there are a lot of sharks, they aren't that big or that dangerous, we went out there a few times and it was really scary at first, but you get used to it. One of the people in our group was being followed by a shark! scary!

. But when you looked over the edge, you could see sharks following the kids around in the shallows - but because of the angle of the water, they couldn't see them! it freaked me out! I wouldn't take little kids there, LOL

I know and how about all the recent shark sightings and hysteria, Every year its the same though.. we don't hear about sharks so out of sight out of mind, then we all pile into the warmer water and suddenly according to media we are shark infested..they've always been there lol
OH MY GOD they were stalking the kiddlets and parents didnt even know!!!! shame on them.

Im pretty sure the reef sharks are safe,unless of course they think you are looking tastey lol, but i don't think there has been many proper attacks more like mistaken identity. My father used to spear fish alot and he had a shark bite scar from when the reef shark decided he would try to take a chomp out of my fathers side. Didnt stop dad from going back in the water lol.

Back