Ugh will I ever be able to wear purples/blues/grays

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time you give it a try grab the camera!!  That way we can see what you're doing and give you pointers XD

You just may not be used to seeing yourself in brighter colors as Bonnie mentioned. I used to always use browns and natural colors, still tend to lean that way, but started playing around with bolder colors a while ago.  I felt the same way, "Wow I look like a clown!" but then I began to get used to it especially when I began to get compliments on my eyes. 

So hang in there and keep trying new looks. The more you play around the sooner you'll find your comfort zone. BUT also keep in mind, maybe a "natural" polished look is for you. We've all heard the term "Less is More" so maybe in your case going with a foundation, pink blush, nude shades on the eyes with eyeliner to accent the eyes,with a brighter lipstick will bring out your natural beauty better.

Have fun playing around.

I always remember "Less is More" when I'm doing my makeup

then..

a little voice says.. "Sooooooooo boring.. Lets grab the Pink and some Visine!"

Originally Posted by Its Only Nicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always remember "Less is More" when I'm doing my makeup

then..

a little voice says.. "Sooooooooo boring.. Lets grab the Pink and some Visine!"
bwahahah

camera coming with me next time, but I'm taking a break from purple until I find someplace with good light to practice.  My bathroom has terrible lighting and is awkward to work in.

You can wear these colors. From the palette shown above, i use Virgin or Sin as highlighter, Sin isn't overly shimmery, if you wear it on your eyes it brightens them, it's nothing like Midnight Cowboy for those who know Urban Decay.

The trick is to keep the shadow on the lid, or the crease for a smokey or defined eye. The trick also has to do with shades. Give me silver, give me pale blues or turquoise, and i'll wear them alone or combined. Give me a matte dark grey or navy blue, i will have a hard time making them look right. I recently bought a Dior palette consisting of grey shadows and because they're made to be combined together, they work well, but any other single shadow, i cannot get it correctly on my eyes.

As for purple, the reddish purples only accentuate my redness (like i've cried, been punched or have a bad allergy day), and i already have rosacea so not good. Try looking for blue based shades, closer to mauve. One shade i love to wear is Fyrinnae Faerie Glamour. Another one i keep for smokey eyes is the purple pigment from MAC. I combine it with their charcoal black pigment and it looks fantastic.

Also if you have dark circles or blueish undertones, conceal. The eyeshadows look better when they don't compete with your undereye. When i don't want to apply foundation all over i just grab a concealer brush and apply some mineral foundation under my eyes and on my cheeks, just to even my face. That way you only bring attention to your eyes, with no distraction.

Keep your lips neutral, it really depends on the application but blue is an intense color so try a few lipcolors and see how they work, for my case anything past neutral makes me look clownish.

But really.. just practice and do what works for you.  What looks bad on some people.. Might look great on you!

Back