Using Eyeshadow Wet?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Isn't it hard to blend the shadow if it goes on wet? Is it blendable once it dries on the eye? I think if you are using your shadows wet, you would be patting more than blending. I have only used my shadows wet to line and it does give me a more defined line.

This is a really good subject! My favorite technique is to apply the shadow with a damp, not wet, brush. Just a personal preference, but with a damp brush I can collect and apply richer color but be able to avoid soaking the pigment and having a streaky look. Saline works well and I apply some to the back of my hand, rub it in w/ my finger, stroke my brush on my hand to make it damp then work the bristles into the shadow.

Also, the shadows I use damp are more accent shades, so I will already have a base of primer and dry shadow down first before intensifying areas with damp shadow. Like lashline and outer corners.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Isn't it hard to blend the shadow if it goes on wet? Is it blendable once it dries on the eye? when i use it wet, it's usually a color that i use on my lid. like if i were to use a lustre e/s on my lid (or pigment), so i'm patting that shade on, not blending it really. and my brush isn't wet, just a bit damp

I noticed that most of you use your brush when applying eyeliner wet. Is it also ok to use a damp sponge tip applicator if I just want a wash of color all over my lids up to the crease?

Originally Posted by qristeele I noticed that most of you use your brush when applying eyeliner wet. Is it also ok to use a damp sponge tip applicator if I just want a wash of color all over my lids up to the crease? If that's what works better for you then go ahead
smile.gif

Originally Posted by chipzahoy If that's what works better for you then go ahead
smile.gif
I haven't tried it yet actually. But maybe after this I would!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Nothing wrong with experimenting! I think I've used the damp e/s sponge before, when no brushes were at hand.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Don't use MAC shadows wet, eek!
To add to the list of Stila & Shu Uemura, you can also wet Laura Mercier shadows.

why cant use mac wet?

What a great thread!! Since I've drastically increased my e/s collection since I joined, this is great to know!!

Leila and Malinda.....if yr out there....is THIS how you get yr Milani e/s's so BOLD and opaque???

Originally Posted by ciggz why cant use mac wet? Not all MAC looks good wet...as Trisha mentioned. However, I would suggest that if you're going to do the "wet" thing, then you should try doing this: Use a mixing medium...put a little drop of that on your hand and then take another brush and get the color out of the eyeshadow pot. Mix the eyeshadow color into the mixing medium and add either one until you get the consistency and the amount of color you like. Apply. This way you get to use your eyeshadow color wet without risking any "damage" to your eyeshadow pans/pots.

I'm not really a fan of really intense wet shadows. It gives me a really dramatic look. I like my eyeshadows powdery, really blended and quite soft. Maybe once in a while, using a wet one would be OK.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

You can use The Body Shop Shimmercubes wet. And, of course, pigments work best with a damp brush. I just spray my brush lightly with a vitamin E spray and that works fine. I don't use MAC eye shadows wet though, they go shiney when you have.

Back