Using samples that come in baggies

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a three ring binder notebook and a bunch of those plastic pages that you use to store baseball cards in. Each page perfectly holds nine sample baggies in it's own slot. I also bought a set of subject dividers and have each section labeled (primers, finishing powders, foundations, eyeshadows, blushes, etc). I then have each section of eyeshadows divided by colors (gray/white/black, browns, golds, coppers, pinks, blues, purples, greens, etc). In the front of the notebook I have some plain white copy paper that I have wet swatched each sample on, along with the name of the sample, the company it came from, and the description of the sample (from the company's web site). I have then covered each of the swatched areas with clear tape to ensure that it doesn't fade). I have those sheets in the front of the notebook in order (primers and color correctors, topcoats, foundations, blush, then eyeshadows according to color family). As soon as I get a sample in, I immediately go to their web site, swatch the eyeshadow, blush, or whatever to the appropriate sheet of copy paper, label both the bag and the swatched area with the name, company, and description, then place the sample in the appropriate section. I label the baggies with a permanent marker, putting the company name at the bottom and the description across the top.

This makes it easy to just open my notebook and see at a glance what I have and tells me where to find it in the notebook. It also shows me that I have a tendency to buy alot of the same colors (you can fit about four plastic pages --or 36 colors-- on a page of copy paper and I have probably 5 or 6 pages of just light browns/taupes). I had a tendency to put those little baggies up and forget to use them, but this way I can tell at a glance exactly what I have in that notebook.

I usually apply my minerals dry, so I either just dip the brush in the bag, then tap off excess on a small piece of waxed paper or I sprinkle a little into a small bowl.

Holy cow! I'm impressed at your organisation skills. Could you please post some photos? You must have quite a collection! All my sample baggies are piled up and falling over each other, all mixed up with different companies. I really need to get this binder- album idea going!

I spent most of my morning playing with sample baggies today
biggrin.gif

I bought a box of 50 5g jars on e-bay, which cost me about $10 all together. Figured they'd be good to have around.

However, I didn't want to waste jars by transferring each baggie into it's own jar, seeing as a lot of the samples I have were ones that I wasn't likely to use much, if at all.

SO, I transferred the samples I liked into individual jars, and then had myself some fun with mixing the other samples into something that might actually be used!

I mixed all of my too-light Cory foundation samples together to make a ghostly/ashy foundation color for my Faerie costume makeup - it'll go great with green highlights
wink.gif

I mixed a bunch of random flesh-toned all-over face colors from Fairyannas to make a decently light "foundation" powder for my 'tween daughters and their friends to use when they want to do "makeovers", and I mixed a couple darker shades (a pink and an orange-ish shade) to make a lovely lip pigment!

I dumped 3 different bronzers together to make a dupe of the shade I've been using, so I have a suitable backup now.

Then I had 3 Meow e/s shades that were essentially dupes of the Cory shades I ordered full sizes of, so I mixed them together - a dark olive, a more chartreuse-y olive, and a metallic gold - and got a really gorgeous shade of medium green with gold foiling. It'll be a perfect compliment to what I have coming!

So, there you are. You don't *have* to keep all your samples in separate baggies - you CAN mix them up into something usable and worth using a jar on!

not really for me. long brushes would work better im sure but mine are short & it comes out just fine. when i want a lot i dip into the concentrated part of the baggy or if i just want a little i press the brush against the side of the bag.

i sprinkle mine in those microwaveable plastic containers and swirl my brush there.

oh, adn i store them in an album for calling cards. this is small enough for me to bring on trips!

Barekiss has the most injcredible supersample sets, in jars toothey have everything in them foundation, blush concealer, primer and veil. You will love them the url is barekiss.com.au | Mineral Cosmetics | Handmade Soaps - HOME They are Ausatralian so don't forget the au at the end. They have loads in them too and they are cheap

Originally Posted by Leylani /img/forum/go_quote.gif I used to transfer baggie samples into small jars,but now i prefer to store the baggies in a small photo album. You know,the kind with "pockets" for the photos. It takes much less space and always stay organized. Very easy to travel with, too. So easy that i have transfered makeup from my full sizes into baggies and put them into the album,and made it my travel makeup-kit.When i want to use something from a baggie i just pick it out with the brush or a tiny teaspoon,depending on what and how im going to use it.

I love how creative you are. Great idea

Wow thanks for the tip on the photo album idea! I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks so that should work great

Where and what was the method of getting this stuff out of baggies?

All I have are baggie samples and I'd LOVE to get them into jars!

I love refills in baggies but not the samples!!!!!

I scoop out the needed amount with a small spatula I got free from sephora (used to sample their creams and stuff)( i got about a dozen) and put it in a small ceramic bowl I got at a table ware store, and then proceed to swirl. the shadows I do the same if to be used wet, and if to be used dry I simply dip the brush in it. if 2 or more samples are very very similar in color (happened many times that the colors from different companies were absolutely identical) i put it in a 5 gram jar.

I recieved a foundation sample from Meow from a friend an I tap it on a plate and use the brush from there.

Many actually prefer baggies for e/s because they can organize in a photo album -or you can get the sleeves for baseball collector cards and put in 3 ring binder. A great way to get out a small amount is to use a baby spoon or espresso spoon. A great container to do swirling and such are the little plastic paint pallets for kids. I have found 6 and 10 well ones for less than $1 at Walmart. The 10 one has a nice large area in the middle which is great for blush or foundation.

I always use a "swirly" bowl for my foundation, even full size. It loads the foundation better and it also prevents damage to brushes and sponges-- the sharp edges of lids used to cut up my brushes.

UGH - I can't stand foundation samples in baggies. E/S are ok, since I apply most of them dry and it's easy to dip a shadow brush into a baggie, but I use a flat top foundation brush, and you have to tap out the powder for this. Here's what I use - I buy a box of hamburger patty sheets from Smart & Final (those 5x5 square sheets between hamburger patties). 1000 sheets are under $5. I tap my powders onto the sheet (even my full sizes in jars), which also gives me more room to swirl my brush than using a lid. When I'm done, just throw away the sheet, and use a fresh one the next day. It reduces any chance of cross-contamination, and I find it far less messy as well. The grout in my tile thanked me!

Back