Warning about Everyday Minerals!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:Originally Posted by Hoyden /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Ladies - I thought I should add in here that I did have laboratory testing done that confirmed that the formulations had changed, but the labels had not.  

I'm not going to negatively comment about another company, because obviously I have one. But I did want to throw this info in. Not sure what you mean by the formula changed. Did the ingredients change or just the percentages? A label can remain the same even if a company increases or decreases some of the ingredients. The FDA requires cosmetic labeling to be listed in descending order of predominance. So if they had 70% of titanium dioxide and 50% zinc, and they bumped up the zinc to 69%, it would still be listed right after the titanium! The label wouldn't change but how it felt or reacted on your face might very well change. Also, base ingredients are sold in about a zillion different treated forms. You can get jojoba treated mica, silica treated, etc etc...so swapping out plain mica for a treated one might not change the ing list either if you already use jojoba or other silicas in the formula. Lastly...suppliers can screw up. I've had 20 kilos of multiple powders arrive mislabeled by the supplier. Luckily I caught it before we used it!

I have read all the letters from EDM in Hoyden's blog

in face, they did not use the word" idiot"

i think they were just trying to find out what happened

however, because Hoyden is too angry

so she think EDM thought she is a idiot and wrote a letter back with angry words

the letter made EDM angry too

and if they really did not change their formula

the accusation of changing formula is a big issue

so they used some strong words in the next letter

I'm not suprised from doing some research about EDM. But I honestly think EDM should've handled it better with Hoyden with those letters. It was just plain unprofessional how they handled that situation with her. But if more than one person is getting a really bad reaction from that and reported to the company about the products. It should tell the company that they need to remove some of the ingridents that are causing the reactions. But a part of me is thinking that EDM doesn't test thier products before selling them on thier websites.

Wow that is shocking! I have noticed that EDM formulas have changed for the worst. I've been using EDM for many years now, and it had always been so good. Made my skin look flawless and airbrushed but not fake looking. Now when I use EDM, my skin looks terrible. It looks dry and caked on, even though I do use the flat top brush to buff in my mineral foundation from EDM. Such a disappointment. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm still on a mission to find the perfect mineral foundation for my skin for everyday wear.

Wow that is shocking! I have noticed that EDM formulas have changed for the worst. I've been using EDM for many years now, and it had always been so good. Made my skin look flawless and airbrushed but not fake looking. Now when I use EDM, my skin looks terrible. It looks dry and caked on, even though I do use the flat top brush to buff in my mineral foundation from EDM. Such a disappointment. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm still on a mission to find the perfect mineral foundation for my skin for everyday wear.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one reacting to Everyday Minerals. I thought I had an allergy to something else. I've been seeing dermatologist to clear things up. It always seemed that my face would itch and have light hives after putting it on. I think it's more the bamboo face powder, but it's happening on the base as well. I kept looking over the ingredients to see what is in it that I might be reacting to. Before using mineral makeup, my skin never broke out. I'm 40, so it's strange to start having bad skin now. I found that Bare Escentuals was to shiny (something in the mineral mixture), then I went to Sheer Cover (was not as shiny, but you get very little for you money and get stuck in an automatic shipping plan if you want to get the discount), then EDM seemed to work well in the beginning, but now I'm stuck with an itchy face. I try not to use it every day because my skin is less itchy. I'm now going to try IQ Pure Minerals (they have a starter kit) and Nvey Eco makeup (they have sample kits) and see how my skin reacts. They are supposed to be organic, vegan and have no GMO ingredients. I'm sick of my face reacting to all the junk in makeup.

The surprising thin g is that EDM is now going back to the all mineral makeup route in September (received a newsletter on that)

I gave up on EM. They used to be my favorite makeup brand, but now.. idk, they just seem shady. My face started itching and it just looked different. I've never had any issues with my skin, but when they supposedly changed their formula I noticed it got worse and worse. On top of it all, they don't seem to care about their customers anymore. Yesterday I bought foundation from Mineral Hygienics, which is supposed to be really good. Has anyone tried them before? 

Nope, but I have full sized foundations coming both from Meow and Lucy Minerals. EDM can bugger off for all I care.

There is always the possibility that EDM really DIDN't change the formula, but the reaction was a cumulative one. Sometimes people can become allergic only when there's enough exposure to the allergenic, or it can get worse little by little. This has happened to me with certain foods and with Bare Minerals too. As a kid I was never allergic to apples, or animals, and when I grew older my symptoms appeared and got worse and worse. Apples might have changed due to some vague explonations about gene manipulating or chemicals or what ever, but I'm quite certain our pet dogs and cats haven't been members of global industry conspiracys... hehe.

I know I sound like a heartless idiot at the moment, but are we really certain the dermatologist made the test right, or that it happened at all? Or perhaps there was a mistake at some point and something has accidently gotten into the new jar which wasn't a part of the plan. All I'm trying to say here that there are tons of things that could've happened and that we really don't know, and just because somebody is having an allergic reaction and is really angry about it and the company is acting unprofessional doesn't mean that the theory of the said angry person or anyone else's is accurate. There might not be a "conspiracy" or anything fishy other than some kind of assholeness in general in the company's part. That really doesn't mean they did change the formula or anything else for that matter. If there is a legal case going on, I'm sure we'll find out the truth behind this, whatever it might be.

Peace and Love, and remember to do the tests on your arm with any cosmetics you plan to use!

thats good advice, ive never used that brand before so ill keep that in mind if i ever decide to

i used edm for about 2 months, and i kind of liked it.. but not enough to continue. i noticed that my pores would actually be highlighted when using their MMU, and the make up would melt off my face in the sun. meh.. no thanks. i know how to buff in MMU, but it seemed like MMU is just not the right thing for me.

i switched back to liquid foundation, and i'm quite happy. i read that MMU can improve the looks of your skin but it didn't for me. it didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better.. know what i mean? this was the main reason i wanted to use MMU, to do something nice for my skin.. since it didn't do it, and accented my "bad" spots, i went back to LF. skin's still the same, and i'm happy.

i still like EDM's eyeshadow pigments and blushes though.. never had a problem with them.

They have lost many costumers because of that rumour claiming that they changed the formula, so, if they didn't change it, wouldn't be an idea to make an official statement? Maybe they have, idek. 

In a related issue...

Some time ago, EM stopped listing ingredients for their product on their web site also, which bothers me as a customer. They changed the formula of the intensive foundation to use Lauroyl Lysine, which was fine with me, but others had a problem with it. It is NOT a mineral either, although it is technically "natural"; yet, their web site gave the impression the foundations were 100% mineral. They did NOT mention this ingredient change on the web site, so some people ordered the same foundation they had ordered for years & did not know there was a change until they saw the new ingredients on the package. THAT is not fine with me. The lack of information does give the impression they are "hiding" things, which makes me as a customer uneasy.

IMO, they should communicate better with their customers regarding ingredient changes. A big part of the MMU market is people with sensitive skin; we are not just any other makeup consumer. MMU companies cannot deal with us the way MAC or NARS or whoever deals with their customers.

Those big label non-MMU companies may not list ingredients on their site & make announcements about changes but:

1) Their products can be bought in-store, allowing free sampling of every product & the ability to read labels pre-purchase

2) The bulk of their market is not made up of people looking for all natural products friendly to sensitive skin, and they did not build their business on that concept; whereas EM & other MMU is largely patronized by such people & was largely marketed to such people initially.

If they change their market & customer service strategy because they want to target a different kind of customers, then they will lose many current customers. That is what is happening already. I can only assume it is worth it for them financially, as it reeks of losing integrity to become a bigger name brand.

As for their new "It formula" foundation which seems to be the replacement for the now discontinued Intensive foundation, I will not be trying it because there are no ingredients listed for it on their web site, and EM has not proved trustworthy in regards to ingredients.

Originally Posted by siouxcat83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In a related issue...

Some time ago, EM stopped listing ingredients for their product on their web site also, which bothers me as a customer. They changed the formula of the intensive foundation to use Lauroyl Lysine, which was fine with me, but others had a problem with it. It is NOT a mineral either, although it is technically "natural"; yet, their web site gave the impression the foundations were 100% mineral. They did NOT mention this ingredient change on the web site, so some people ordered the same foundation they had ordered for years & did not know there was a change until they saw the new ingredients on the package. THAT is not fine with me. The lack of information does give the impression they are "hiding" things, which makes me as a customer uneasy.

IMO, they should communicate better with their customers regarding ingredient changes. A big part of the MMU market is people with sensitive skin; we are not just any other makeup consumer. MMU companies cannot deal with us the way MAC or NARS or whoever deals with their customers.

Those big label non-MMU companies may not list ingredients on their site & make announcements about changes but:

1) Their products can be bought in-store, allowing free sampling of every product & the ability to read labels pre-purchase

2) The bulk of their market is not made up of people looking for all natural products friendly to sensitive skin, and they did not build their business on that concept; whereas EM & other MMU is largely patronized by such people & was largely marketed to such people initially.

If they change their market & customer service strategy because they want to target a different kind of customers, then they will lose many current customers. That is what is happening already. I can only assume it is worth it for them financially, as it reeks of losing integrity to become a bigger name brand.

As for their new "It formula" foundation which seems to be the replacement for the now discontinued Intensive foundation, I will not be trying it because there are no ingredients listed for it on their web site, and EM has not proved trustworthy in regards to ingredients.

FYI, the new IT formula has ingredients listed on their website -- Mica (CI 77019), May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007) (http://www.everydayminerals.com/store/base/it/fairly-light-neutral-it.html) It is simply at the bottom of the page where it's the tab in between "details" and "usage".

From when I have started purchasing EM on and off for the past year, I have always seen their ingredients listed like that. Granted, I do not like the added ingredient of Lauroyl Lysine, it is listed on its website so it is up to me to purchase the item. 

Personally, I tried the semi-matte formula and it broke me out but I am willing to give the IT formula a go just b/c it has fewer ingredients. Mineral Hygienics is a good brand of mineral make up and essentially, the same formula as EM. However, the EM shade range is way superior so I become conflicted at times.

I didn't like EM in the past due its absurd shipping price to Canada ($22!!!) but they have changed that and offer a more reasonable rate ($3.50 for around $20 purchase) so I have no complaints. I will update when I try the new IT formula and they are pretty quick to ship as I ordered it today and apparently it is out their door and into my mailbox soon! Hopefully its new formula will be nice to my skin :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, I am glad to see the ingredients are there! When I last shopped with them approx 2 years ago they were not, at least not to my memory, nor did they go up immediately when the formula change occured. I don't mind the Lauroyl Lysine though, I just want to know what I'm buying. When a product has the same name, but has been reformulated, then I think it's important to at least toss a "new formula!" tag by the product, especially if there are no listed ingredients on the site, but even if there are, it's a courtesy to long time customers repurchasing favorite items to inform them that they have changed somehow.

If the new IT line was in the same colors, then I'd probably be sucked back into EM, because I loved my olive fair intensive foundation like no other before or after....

Back