WARNING/SAFTEY ALERT: Two Cosmetics "True Paint" wheels

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I never did hear back from them. I emailed them on the 15th about it but they did end up updating the page again. Problem is they're STILL listing the products in the EYE section and even with the disclaimer the products should NOT be listed there since Lady Burd doesn't list it on their site as eye safe. This is now on their page:

vibrant pallets of “in-your-face†powder paints to give your look that something that makes you stand out! use the brush of your choice to create art on your face to your heart’s content. add a little water to define your look or glitter to finish your masterpiece. great for theatre/costume makeup & a fantastic treat for halloween. can be used wet/dry, all over your face & with or without a base. *palettes marked with "*" contain color not recommended for the eye area, please contact [email protected] for details.
Of course the text is still tiny and in light gray which also should be changed because it's still on the deceptive side. I know that companies like Ford and Chevy were sued by the government for making tiny illegible in their commercials which is why now when you see commercials of cars doing things they can't really do you see in large legible text a disclaimer.

I'm not out to destroy or hurt their company, I only want (as a cosmetics consumer) for companies to be honest. They need to move the products from the eye section since all but one product is not FDA approved for the eyes and they need to make that disclaimer larger and legible.

Did they ever reply to you Bonnie?

Sadly no.  They were actually going to send me products to try out (before I knew they were  shady) and they sent them out without the apt number so the package never got delivered.  So I emailed them and they pretty much just ignored me.  Then I wrote them about the paint wheel and they ignored me. Bad business.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly no.  They were actually going to send me products to try out (before I knew they were  shady) and they sent them out without the apt number so the package never got delivered.  So I emailed them and they pretty much just ignored me.  Then I wrote them about the paint wheel and they ignored me. Bad business.

Wow... I'm speechless. They are coming off more and more shady. Too many people out to make a fast buck.

D:

It's things like this that scare me.  I wonder if there's a list anywhere of recalls, trustable brands, brands that only use natural ingredients?

Because with things like this, I think we really need some.

I posted a list of companies that are considered to be "trustworthy" indie companies. The list was not compiled by me nor have I verified all the companies on that site other than Sugarpill and Fyrinnae (which is currently closed). The best thing to do is educated yourself on what the FDA allows in cosmetics - especially the eyes and lips because typically if it's allowed for eyes and lips it'll be allowed for the entire face but not the other way around.

Summary of Color Additives for Use in United States in Foods, Drugs, Cosmetics, and Medical Devices - this is the main list*

Color Additive Status List

Color Additives and Cosmetics

* If the ingredient is allowed in eye shadows the FDA page will state "Cosmetics generally including eye area use." If it's not allowed for eyes then it'll state simply, "Cosmetics generally (5)." or "Externally applied cosmetics(6)". Some like FD&C Yellow No. 5 will have both "Cosmetics generally" along with "Eye area use (includes Al lake)." If there is a number attached like "cosmetics generally" has that 5 then the FDA further comments on it, "Color additives that are permitted for general use may not be used in the area of the eye, in injections, or in surgical sutures unless such use is specified in the color additive listing regulation. Currently no color additives are listed for use in injected products (such as tattoos or permanent makeup)."

For lips it will state something like, "Externally applied cosmetics(6)" which the FDA further states, "Color additives that are permitted for external application may not be used in the area of the eye, in injections, or in surgical sutures unless such use is specified in the color additive listing regulation. Currently no color additives are listed for use in injected products (such as tattoos or permanent makeup). Some color additives that are permitted for external application also may be permitted in mouthwashes, dentifrices, or lipsticks in limited amounts specified in the color additive listing regulations." Each colors will be specific in what's allowed like FD&C Black No. 2 states, "Eyeliner, brush-on-brow, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, blushers and rouge, makeup and foundation, and nail enamel."

If you want to know exactly what each color is then read this. For those who are vegan they really need to become acquainted with it because you'll be horrified by how many colorants are made from animal products.

icon_eek.gif

..."The color additive D&C Black No. 3 is a washed bone char prepared from calcined cattle bones. The bones are twice heated in excess of 700 °C for at least 6 hours."

Yeah - not vegan at all.

sick.gif

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_eek.gif

..."The color additive D&C Black No. 3 is a washed bone char prepared from calcined cattle bones. The bones are twice heated in excess of 700 °C for at least 6 hours."

Yeah - not vegan at all.

Actually the safety of cosmetics vary from country to country. A lot of pigments used in European cosmetics can't be used in the USA, particularly the neon colors. To really know the safety of a product you have to break it down by each ingredient and research it. After you do that, it's up to your own discretion if you want to use it. I know some blues can't be used around the lips because they are made of a metal that is poisonous. Also some pinks and reds can't be used around the eyes because most people have an allergic reaction. It doesn't mean everyone will. Also depending on the type of glitter in a color will determine if it's eye safe. For example if it isn't cosmetic grade and it gets in your eye it will cut it up and you can go blind. Personally if it turns out they use it in Europe but not here then I ignore the warnings. I'm not sure if that pertains to the paint wheels but if the ingredients are used in Europe or Canada but not in the USA, then screw the warnings. If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

non of two cosmetics colors are safe. i bought a single color eye shadow and tested it on my right eye at some convention in san jose 2 years ago and i had an eye infection for a week. it was called a sty i think, it looked like the cherry eye that my dog gets. they kept on comparing themselves to mac, bobbi brown, and urban decay at the booth when its just a cheap imitation. definitely don't buy from them, never cheap out on eye makeup

Its disgusting how some companies can openly deceive their customers-Especially after being outted by MUT! Completely deplorable.

That's pretty shady on Two Cosmetics' part.. but I'm reallly curious why Lady Burd cosmetics would produce an eyeshadow, that isn't even safe to use on the eyes, to begin with?? If they didn't get FDA approved or whatever, maybe they shouldn't manufacture them. with those color schemes, there really is no other use for them other than as eyeshadow.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's pretty shady on Two Cosmetics' part.. but I'm reallly curious why Lady Burd cosmetics would produce an eyeshadow, that isn't even safe to use on the eyes, to begin with?? If they didn't get FDA approved or whatever, maybe they shouldn't manufacture them. with those color schemes, there really is no other use for them other than as eyeshadow.

Plenty of companies produce "not approved for the eyes" makeup, specifically a lot of mineral eyeshadow companies that use glitter. Glitter isn't FDA approved as far as I know, and Zadidoll is right it varies from person to person. For me glitter doesn't affect me so I use it ALL the time :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but it isn't FDA approved b/c for a lot of ppl it isn't good. But companies still make it, a lot of good, honest, safe companies.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ahh.. that's the kicker... Lady Burd does not market the paint wheels as eyeshadow. They have it listed on their website as FACE paint and clearly state it's not eye safe. Two Cosmetics, witchslap and a few other companies who sell the paint wheels under their own label are the ones marketing it as eyeshadow.

Update.

What Joanna wrote on August 11, 2011 was this:

Originally Posted by joanna joanna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello everyone!  I am Joanna (one of the founders of two cosmetics).  Thank you for your concern with our paint wheels. We were actually not aware of this until recently via Annie's communication with us and so have recently added a disclaimer to our paint section.  So Thank you Annie!  When my sister, Jacqueline and I set out to start a cosmetics company with the goal of empowering women and making products more affordable for all women, we honestly just found manufacturers that would work with us since we were so small.  We are now able to source more manufacturers and are in the process of improving these paint wheels by finding alternative ingredients that can be used around the eyes.  So please stay tuned and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. 
Two Cosmetics continued to sell the Paint Wheels as eye makeup from 2011 until 2013 however doing a search on archived posts I can only verify up to late 2012. So for over a year AFTER Joanna posted that did Two Cosmetics continue to sell the Paint Wheels as eye make DESPITE knowing the products were NOT FDA approved due to three ingredients. Here's what Two Cosmetics posted on their website in 2011.

When Ipsy released a sneak peak of one of the April 2013 Ipsy Glam Bag products I found out the product was from Two Cosmetics. Well you can read my thoughts on that over in the April 2013 Ipsy thread. By this time Two Cosmetics had removed the Paint Wheels from the eye makeup section but continued to sell it as Face Paint. The disclaimer Two Cosmetics put on the Paint Wheels in August 2011 merely stated that the paint wheels may cause staining NOT that the products were not approved for the eyes. After I contacted Ipsy they in turn contacted Two Cosmetics who then removed the Paint Wheels completely from their site and posted what I consider a big fat lie.

*** Paints/Paintwheels Notice:  We have discontinued online sales of this item due to the fact that some pigments used are not FDA approved in the eye area as we were originally misled by the factory.  We have since then sourced more professional and prestige quality factories to produce our products because the safety of our customers is our top priority.  This product is now only available for professional makeup artist use by emailing [email protected] or at IMATS LA & NYC.  If you have purchased this product from us in the past and would like to return the item for a refund, please contact [email protected].  Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.  ***
What the tiny pink writing states is this:

*** Paints/Paintwheels Notice:  We have discontinued online sales of this item due to the fact that some pigments used are not FDA approved in the eye area as we were originally misled by the factory.  We have since then sourced more professional and prestige quality factories to produce our products because the safety of our customers is our top priority.  This product is now only available for professional makeup artist use by emailing [email protected] or at IMATS LA & NYC.  If you have purchased this product from us in the past and would like to return the item for a refund, please contact [email protected].  Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.  ***

Um no, they NEVER were mislead by Lady Burd Cosmetics because Lady Burd had on their site in 2011 (since at least 2010) that the products were NOT APPROVED FOR EYE USE. Since Lady Burd is a private label manufacturer they do not list their prices or ingredients online for the general public. The ingredients were also never listed on Two Cosmetics but were listed by other bloggers due to the fact that these same paint wheels were being sold at the time by witchSlap Cosmetics as eye shadow (I don't know off hand if BS is still selling these paint wheels as eye shadow or not). This is how it first came to my attention was due to witchSlap and Ruthless selling the same paint wheels.

So the only one who is misleading anyone is Two Cosmetics with the lie on their website about Lady Burd misleading them when in fact Joanna and Jacqueline both knew since 2011 that the products were not FDA approved. Lady Burd never told them the products were eye safe or approved for the eyes when Lady Burd's own site since 2011 and possibly going further back clearly states not approved for the eyes.

As of this forum post, Two Cosmetics has indeed completely removed the Paint Wheels from their site but according to their own posts they will continue to sell it at IMATS LA and IMATS NYC. I WILL follow up on this at IMATS LA next year to see if these are going to be sold as eye makeup. If they continue to sell it I HOPE they put on the table that it is NOT approved for eyes and do NOT sell it as eye makeup at all.

Back