Watch for New Credit Card Processing Fees (and Be Ready to Pay Cash) at Your Favorite Stores

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you like to pay with plastic at your local department store or independent retailer, get ready: you may be subject to new credit card fees up to 4% of your transaction. A recent legal battle between credit card companies and a group of retailers has ended, and the result is that in order to offset high card transaction and processing fees, retailers can pass the buck along to consumers.

Article here, snopes.com discussion here

Well, I guess this means I'll be paying in cash. :'D At least I live in New York right now, so that's not going to be a problem, but CC is so convenient when you travel. Annoying!

Alternatively, I guess it's time for me to get a Discover card. SIGH. Obviously what I need is more things to keep track of

Disappointed. It's so much more convenient to use a card.... oh well, when was convenience ever free for long? 

I've always seen retailers do this, especially smaller stores. They have to offset the costs and so that $ 0.50 charge gets passed onto consumers. Another way to stiff us outta more money. That little 4% is going to add up..but we'll see what happens. Anyone remember the surcharges and fees a few banks wanted to tack onto debit cards, atm charges? That was abandoned after much consumer protesting and customers closing accounts and switching institutions.

Wow, I didn't hear abt this. I wonder if this would apply to online orders as well. I do most shopping that way.

Some small merchants only allow the use of a credit card if you make a minimum purchase of $10.  If I'm buying something small and I don't have cash, I'd rather pay the fee than have to walk away without my purchase.

huzzah both of the states I'd likely be purchasing in are both exempt due to specific laws prohibiting credit card surcharges.

oh thank god, one of the few perks of living in california lol. crazy taxes but at least we don't have to pay for cc surcharges!

Latest posts

Back