Wearing Dramatic Makeup to a Wedding--Yay or Nay!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm.. this one is a tough one... Because for my friends wedding, I did her makeup and for mine, I do my usual dark makeup and I don't think people seemed to mind... We were all there having fun, getting drunk and what not... I think you should be able to wear your makeup how you "normally' would wear your make up... just DON'T WEAR WHITE to a wedding LOL I think people wearing WHITE to a wedding is rude... If i were the bride, i don't think i would be worried about other peoples makeup, I'd be more worried that everyone ate and drank enough, and has a good time... but that's just me =)

And Lady Gaga is just strange with her fashion period... lol...

If it were me, I would talk to the bride. Its possible that if you show up without dramatic makeup, she might be upset because its not you. Or the reaction can be the complete opposite. My uncle got married a few years ago and I asked his wife what type of makeup should I wear. She was against dark or loud, etc makeup;  she was ok with color but muted. I was cool and she felt respected that I came to her. So, talk it over with the bride. Its her wedding so play by her rules for just one day!!!  

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally feel like you should wear you hair and makeup however it suits you, anytime anywhere, period.  Forgive me for saying this, but I think the whole Bridezilla train of thought that no one can look better than her on that day is ridiculous, selfish, shallow and vain.  Silly me, I thought weddings were about the beginning of a marriage and a life together, not a makeup contest.
I agree with you. If one of my friends had worn really dramatic makeup at my wedding, I honestly wouldn't have cared. Most of my friends don't wear a lot of makeup though, so if someone did decide to go for a dramatic look, they definitely would have stood out from the crowd in the wedding pictures and everything. If you're confident enough to wear dramatic makeup though, even knowing that you might be the only one wearing it, then go for it.

The people who invited you know exactly how you normally do your makeup. There is no reason to change your style just because you're going to a wedding. Wear what you normally do. Personally, if I was to change my style just because of where I was going, and I have done that in the past, I would regret it for a long time. I still regret doing that the times which I did. Just be yourself. I completely disagree with the whole 'upstaging the bride' crap. It's not like you'd go there wearing a wedding dress, for god's sake.

yeah if  the dramatic look is your normal look, go with it. I would be a tad more conservative in dress...

I agree if your normal look is dramatic, don't change it. If you feel uncomfortable you could always tone it down a little by using mattes instead of shimmery shadows, for example. Also, like the previous poster said, use a rather neutral outfit, your look will be more accepted if your outfit doesn't compete with it.

Weddings are not a competition... I had many bridesmaids that requested the same makeup as the bride and the weddings were just fine! The most important thing is to feel comfortable and enjoy the event... and if that means wearing dramatic makeup as you do everyday, than so be it. If you're wearing black smoky eye and red lips everyday and choose to wear a very neutral makeup on a wedding (or any other event) people might not recognize you... and you might not recognize yourself in the pictures...

If you have to question it... then it's probably best to to do what your gut is saying and tone it down. You obviously have some reservations so out of courtesy go different and let her have her day.

i hate the fact that even though you don't want to upstage the bride, you don't want to look unappealing either...I was a bridesmaid at my aunt's wedding, we had these full skirted dresses, and i had pouffy curly hair done like how she wanted....awful pictures of me at that wedding..

I just filled out my RSVP card for the wedding of the month. Only one this year. Not too bad. Usually hubby and I average 3-5 weddings/graduations/showers per year. 

I know the dress I am wearing, the shoes, the purse. It is nothing that will upstage the bride. It's STUNNING, don't get me wrong. But I think looking "neutral" so the bride gets noticed more is ridiculous. I think there is nothing wrong with looking your absolute best at a wedding. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing obscene, nothing obscure. It is a time for dressing up. For celebrating. The fact is.... THE BRIDE IS THE BRIDE and EVERYTHING will revolve around her. NO MATTER WHAT. Everyone knows that's where the attention will be. Unless I walk in to the reception with a 1970's orange shag carpet for a dress and Eskimo boots?  There is no reason for anyone to stare at me longer than a few seconds and think... "Hmm, cute dress."

I'll dress the way I dress. Nothing more.... and certainly nothing less.

Oh I should've clarified--this is just a general question to get everyone's opinions, it's not an actual scenario that I'm going to a wedding. (no weddings this summer for me this summer but the ones that I work at !) ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Beauty2Makeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have to question it... then it's probably best to to do what your gut is saying and tone it down. You obviously have some reservations so out of courtesy go different and let her have her day.

^ LOL For some reason the show My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and how EVERYONE dresses... well... the bride's dress is typically outrageous! LOL

I think you should do your makeup how you want it to be. If you're afraid that it's too much, ask the bride? It should be okay.

Back