Wedding Regrets?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ever get married again, I'm going to have a nice little gathering in a small venue or back yard.

It will be an afternoon affair with a justice of the peace, cake, sandwiches and wine - no hard core alcohol or big meals.

It would start at 1 and end by 4 - enough time to get the guests there and then on their way home again.

They wouldn't have to worry about hotel rooms.

My groom and I would each have a witness - otherwise no one else in wedding party.

I could easily do this wedding for $2,500, including my outfit.

I don't think eloping is a goo idea either, I agree with Dream on #2 go somewhere and give people who live close and far the option to come. Then your not snubbing anyone, everyone will have a great time at your wedding and they'll get the added bonus of a vacation after your wedding. Thats why my boyfriend and I are going to get married in Vegas. I have a super small guest list (less then 50 people) and his would be nearing (or maybe more than) 250 people. We don't want to have that typical big hoopla european wedding here. We wanna do what we wanna do how we wanna do it (in vegas) and who ever wants to come is more then invited.

As for the local people who live near us who may not be able to attend we're going to have a small engagment party here before the wedding, and I'm assuming a bridal shower blah blah blah. lol I just don't want all the drama of a massive wedding. Plus I don't want to rake mine and his parents over the coals financially.

Originally Posted by ox0xbarbiex0xo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The thought of planning a ceremony is just so stressful.  All of his family does not live close, part of my family doesn't live close. There's a few things we need to wait on before we can actually start picking a date and everything but we're hoping to get married probably before summer 2012, so we won't have oodles of time to plan.  It's not that we want a private wedding, or a cheaper wedding.  We just want to get it done.  lol!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  We've been together for 3 years, and 2 of those years we spent living in different cities.  We just wanna be married.  lol

We had set a wedding date for 1 year after our engagement (it was for June).  I made no plans.  That June, we did visit some friends and their children asked if we were getting married.  We replied yes.  The children talked to their parents and a week later, they called and offered to plan and host our wedding.  Being close family friends, they were so excited to hear the news that she offered to interview the officiate and host the wedding.  All we had to do was show up!  As they owned an very old hotel, they able to provide the venue.  We arrived the day before, the morning of the wedding, we asked the children to go thru the neighbourhood and pick wild flowers.  Although it was raining in the morning, the sun came out an hour before our wedding.  Everything fell into place and that was almost 15 years ago :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love old homes and I love the beach area so I decided that if I was to get married again I'd do it in this old town that is about 3 hours away from my home.  I consider it a destination wedding since most people will have to spend the night there - and who wouldnt since it's at the beach.   So, a destination wedding within the U.S. is fine - even if its a few hours away.

@Divadoll - that sounds sooo romantic.

It was a bit messed up because I actually never thought about it again until I realized that the year came and went.  We planning on a Vegas wedding and unlike an other post, we were going to get married by Elvis!  It would have been something to talk about instead of a plain regular wedding.  As it turns out, our wedding day was a good tale as well.  

Here's the story about his proposal to me:

We were watching the tv show Mad About You.  At that time (in the 90's), we watched the show almost every night.  The couple's relationship (Paul's and Jamie's) reminded us of ourselves.  Paul was proposing to Jamie, so I turned to my DH and asked him when was he going to ask me to marry him.  He said Why would I want to marry him?  I said I'm just hanging around til something better came along.  He then got down on bended knee... he said 'I don't have a ring but would you marry me'.  I said yes and we planned for a year from the end of the month, it was June and we wanted to get married in Vegas by Elvis ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  It didn't happen but we did get married ---story I told above.  We had a second wedding at the church when our children were baptized 8 years later.  

I am planing a small wedding, marry him is the best thing of my life, I don't care anything else!

I want to start with a premise. I am a perfectionist. So even after doing all I could possibly do I would want to do more. And even when everyone says everything is perfect I still find a fault. So the things I would change about my wedding are many. First I would change the date. Although I love the date as a number I would do it in July rather than June because the weather at the beginning of June is still not that great where I live. On my wedding it was quiet windy so we didn't get to enjoy the outdoor space.

I would definitely have a different wedding dress- different shape, more plain and better fitted (it was a bit large) and either chiffon or lace.

I would never change my honeymoon. It was the best part of the wedding. We went to Mauritius and Dubai and we both loved it.

Food was great. We had a standing reception with lots of finger foods and pasta table and chinese table.

Souvenirs, bridesmaids dresses, flowers, pictures were all perfect to me.

Invitations were nice but there is always room for improvement. The fact is that there wasn't a big choice.

I would have liked a more elaborate cake (Cake boss style).

I would have liked either a bigger wedding in a countryside mansion setting with lovely gardens or else a romantic exotic wedding with fewer people. Our wedding was in a very nice hotel in a hall on the last floor with a terrace overlooking the beach. The ceremony took place on the terrace while the reception in the hall. I really loved the ceremony setting except the wind.

Hope this helps those of you who are planning their wedding. Planning mine was really a great experience although very stressful. 

Everyone has put so many great ideas and suggestions out there, I will definitely have to keep some of them in mind when I begin to plan our wedding.

We have been engaged for almost 2 years now, I was hoping to get married in the next year and a half, but now that I'm pregnant and we are having our house bulit, it may be a tad later. We have been living together for over 8 years, so we both know we will be together forever.

I do know that I do not want a large wedding, I'm uncertain about the open bar, maybe a limited amount of drinks per person.

I also am unsure of having bridesmaids and a big bridal party of men and women. I want something more intimate and maybe somewhere like a destination wedding.

Hi,

Me and my partner have been engaged over 5 years and are hoping to finalize a date for 1st September 2012. We are planning to do this at our local registry office with only 10 guests, over the road for a meal and then 3 days later off to Egypt for our honeymoon.

We only want a small wedding as neither of us are comfortable standing up in front of lots of people.

If anyone wants an inexpensive cake, they should register with a vocational school that teaches bakers.  They usually will have a course on making wedding cakes and they sell them for cheap.  You would have to ask the school what procedure because they don't make many and they have a waiting list for them.  

My first wedding was all about what everyone else wanted. The second time around I got married in Vegas and it was amazing.

My only suggestion would be make it about you and your partner. That's what its supposed to be.

Go to lots of bridal shows, you can win money off from most of the vendors there!

Back