What do you say when people compliment your makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed as well.  Many times a little notice of something so small followed by a compliments brightens up my day sometimes.

Originally Posted by allthingsbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by nydoll23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I say thank you and compliment them on something About themselves .If they ask what I'm wearing I tell them,I usually get asked what I'm wearing if someone likes it and I get asked are you a makeup artist if I do something with my eyeshadow that's colorful or if I'm dolled up. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Its nice to hear compliments on my makeup,its my way of expressing myself,plus it helps get me jobs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I know I will compliment someone if I like their makeup ,hair,style,anything really.sometimes something as simple as their smile.

You'd be surprised how much a compliment can mean to someone who is having a struggle or just yucky day.
Totally agree with this

I say thank you and tell them what it is that I am wearing. I'd say that if they appear to be waiting for more after you have said thank you, they probably want to know what product(s) you used. I'm a little doubtful that many want to know makeup techniques unless they ask.

It depends on what I'm wearing.  If I'm going for the 'natural' look, I'm actually kind of hurt that they are commenting/complimenting on my makeup when I'm making an attempt to not to be obvious.  I've always believed that it's bad that people notice more of your makeup than your face.  I get those on occasion tho, I say thank you.  Usually people compliment on my good complexion or my hair, I still say thank you to that as well. 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It depends on what I'm wearing.  If I'm going for the 'natural' look, I'm actually kind of hurt that they are commenting/complimenting on my makeup when I'm making an attempt to not to be obvious.  I've always believed that it's bad that people notice more of your makeup than your face.  I get those on occasion tho, I say thank you.  Usually people compliment on my good complexion or my hair, I still say thank you to that as well. 

You reminded me of my high school graduation. One of my teachers came up to me to tell me that she was surprised I didn't wear any makeup but that I looked great anyway. I was wearing makeup! lol I guess I did the natural look pretty good back then.

I just say thanks. It's never been awkward for me. I only elaborate after a compliment if it's something specific that's complimented. If it's just my overall look, I say thanks. I usually get compliments on the fragrance I wear or an accessory I have on that day.

A simple thank you. Unless it's a passive-agressive compliment. There's something that rubs me the wrong way about saying 'I love your foundation!'; (even if it is all due to foundation. Sadly, or not so sadly, I've never gotten so many compliments on my skin in comparison to when I'm wearing Chanel Pro Lumiere & NARS Copacabana Multiple) but anything else? Thanks! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Today at work a girl from another department who I have never spoken to asked me about my makeup.  We talked for quite a while on different brands etc etc.  It was nice, but I have a think about recommending stuff to people, because I'm scared that items that worked for me may not work for them :/ .  I did tell her this though.

I always say thank you very much. And if they ask questions I try my best to explain. Like Perlanga, we normally end up talking for a while. 

sometimes I get compliments on my eyes because I try to make them bigger with the way I line them....sometimes Its good to get a compliment and just soak it in :) I usually blush though

I also say "Thank you!". Usually, I get embarrassed and become red, especially, when it is said unexpectedly.

Depends on the person, I usually just say thanks.  But my closer girlfriends I'll explain my look a bit more and let them know what Im using.  Sometimes it goes as far as shopping with them during lunch for the products! LOL!

I say thanks, and then explain how I did it/what products/answer questions. I also offer them my card (if they seem interested) and tell them to book a consultation with me at my studio ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Like someone else said, it depends on the person. If it's a stranger, I usually just say thank you and I compliment them back for something that I like. If they ask about what I'm wearing or how I did my makeup I always tell them. I found that a lot of the MUA's at least where I live expect you to compliment their makeup but they act like it's supposed to be a big secret on how to create their look. I'm always happy to share tips and tricks that I've picked up with other people.

Most of the time my students compliment me on my makeup. I have about 8-10 girls in the class I work in that ask me for tips everyday. It's fun to share what I know and sometimes if we have time in between activities, I might show someone how to apply something.

For the most part, I just say thank you and I throw a shout out to my Sephora girls who sold me the products.

Originally Posted by AmourAnnette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Smile and say "Thank you"

If they have questions about technique or products I use, I gladly tell them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do the same.

Depends.

I never get compliments foundation/blush/contours/highlights of course, because either they can't tell what's makeup or it looks bad. If I get a skin compliment though, I'm really happy, because I had a couple years of very bad skin and it made me self-conscious.

I usually do really smiley 'thanks' with colour compliments, because I love colour makeup but not as much clothes, so I like when people notice that I'm wearing some, and will sometimes tell where colour is from, if they seem interested. If is on style, I'm usually just pleased, and quick thanks as well

Here, I'm going to put myself out there a bit--

When I was married to my ex-husband, getting a compliment was not something I looked to get. He was an abusive man, who liked to control me physically and mentally. So if I got a compliment about something I was wearing, or the way my makeup looked, I would be afraid I was putting myself out there too much and he might think that I was trying to "attract attention" to myself in a way that wasn't good for me. And that was bad. So, because of this, I never wore makeup, dressed plain, and made eye contact with no one.

NOW, after being out of that relationship for over 15 years and with my fabulous husband of now, I take pride in how I look, wear makeup that I enjoying wearing, getting my hair done, and not being afraid to put myself out there. I make eye contact, I say hello FIRST to people, and I am often the one who gives the sincere compliments first.

With that being said, after being in that humiliating relationship for as long as I was, TAKING a compliment was SO SO HARD to do. I would make excuses when I got one. "Oh this old shirt?", "Oh please... my skin looks terrible today". Anything to take the attention of me. It took a while, but eventually I learned how to take a compliment.

Now I smile, look the person in the eye and say, "Thank you so much!"  If they ask more, I'll tell them more, like if they compliment something specific, I'll tell them what it is.  I also am very mindful that if I notice something striking about someone... their nails, a piece of jewelry, their eye makeup, anything.... I tell them! I think what if maybe they are in a relationship like I once was? This might be the only compliment they'll get all day-week-month. And that little bit of self confidence might help them make a decision some day that could save their life. 

it doesn't happen very often but they usually i'd say thanks, it's all "blabla cosmetics, or blabla foundation"

Back