What hit the trash can today?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Kors Gold (sephora 100 point perk- Smelled awful. I put it on and immediately regretted it. Sorry for those who like it, but I aged 50 years the second I put it on. Good staying power though! I couldn't stop smelling it all day) Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer (I liked this at first, but there is a strange film over the top that makes it hard to get product on my brush which is weird because this is so new. I tried scraping off the top twice and it was always there so I tossed it since I have others I can use)

I love this thread. It makes me feel better about giving up and tossing all the half-empty stuff I don't use anymore. I'm going to go home today and reorganize/trash anything I haven't used in six months!

- Eyeko skinny liners (purple, navy, black, green) -- they dried out so fast.

- Maybelline Eye Studio Master Duo liner (black) -- flaked like crazy, and I just couldn't get the hang of using it.

- Stila Smudge Stick eyeliner (Stingray) -- the whole tip of the product just fell out, and I couldn't advance any more for some reason. I'm kind of sad.

I got a Clio Kill Black eyeliner recently and it's perfect, so I think I'll be purging most of the rest of my liners, too. As soon as I get my samples of BB creams and find the one I like (I'm leaning towards Skin79 Hot Pink, but I want to try it first), I'll toss all my half-used drugstore foundations too.

tossing my sample of the dermadoctor eye lift lotion. this stuff is horrible! it made my eye area itch and burn, and i had to wipe it off right away! GRRRR...

I love this thread. It makes me feel better about giving up and tossing all the half-empty stuff I don't use anymore. I'm going to go home today and reorganize/trash anything I haven't used in six months! - Eyeko skinny liners (purple, navy, black, green) -- they dried out so fast. - Maybelline Eye Studio Master Duo liner (black) -- flaked like crazy, and I just couldn't get the hang of using it. - Stila Smudge Stick eyeliner (Stingray) -- the whole tip of the product just fell out, and I couldn't advance any more for some reason. I'm kind of sad. I got a Clio Kill Black eyeliner recently and it's perfect, so I think I'll be purging most of the rest of my liners, too. As soon as I get my samples of BB creams and find the one I like (I'm leaning towards Skin79 Hot Pink, but I want to try it first), I'll toss all my half-used drugstore foundations too.
I had gotten a Stila smudge stick in stingray...darn thing was totally empty. I had tried twisting and twisting, and then looked in with a flashlight. Nada.

This thread is inspiring. I need to go through my stash this weekend and toss stuff that I know that I don't want to use anymore.

[@]CurlyTails[/@] Bwahahah! You looked into it with a flashlight? It would never have occurred to me to do that, lol. I got one of those too and it would not twist up no matter what I did, maybe those were just bad?

I tossed a crown brush eye shadow brush. It was scratchy and it didn't pick up eye shadow very well. Into the trash it went.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@CurlyTails

Bwahahah! You looked into it with a flashlight? It would never have occurred to me to do that, lol. I got one of those too and it would not twist up no matter what I did, maybe those were just bad?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jonimeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had gotten a Stila smudge stick in stingray...darn thing was totally empty. I had tried twisting and twisting, and then looked in with a flashlight. Nada.

those twist up too! really really have to squeeze in different directions while twisting... sigh.. kinda like pushing in one direction while twisting.. it's hard to explain but it does work. i really wish they change the packaging on those. i think they are good eyeliners in terms of pigmentation and staying power!

Michael Kors Gold (sephora 100 point perk- Smelled awful. I put it on and immediately regretted it. Sorry for those who like it, but I aged 50 years the second I put it on. Good staying power though! I couldn't stop smelling it all day) Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer (I liked this at first, but there is a strange film over the top that makes it hard to get product on my brush which is weird because this is so new. I tried scraping off the top twice and it was always there so I tossed it since I have others I can use)
I couldn't agree more about the Michael Kors Gold perfume! I received it in a sample kit and thought it was terrible! I tried passing it off to a friend who normally takes anything, but even she didn't want it. It smelled very mature and just not good. I also have the same problem as you with your Too Faced bronzer, except I have it with a Too Faced powder. The powder just doesn't transfer on to the brush.

Yesterday I gave my mom some makeup that needs love, and I just haven't gotten around to using/dislike. Gave her a: Loreal Lipstick- the color is nice, but the formula was too drying for my lips -Two Revloution lipgloss. Colors are nice, but I dislike the taste, formula, and the lack of pigmentation -2 NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils: they crease and I prefer the rimmel waterproof ones. (I sharpened and sanatized them for her.) -A red Flower lipstick. I actually really liked the color and formula, but I have similar in a few other brands and it was getting neglected. Since makeup expires, I wanted it to be used before it went bad. No sense in having multiples in the same color! -MAC lipgloss: I went to use it yesterday and it smelled off, so I'm going to Back 2 Mac it soon. There is a little less than half a tube left so I'm sad to waste it, but the smell isn't good so it's time to part with it.

Yeah, looked into it with a flashlight. Wanted to confirm that I wasn't going crazy and that my new eyeliner was empty before I got a chance to use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Flowerfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldn't agree more about the Michael Kors Gold perfume! I received it in a sample kit and thought it was terrible! I tried passing it off to a friend who normally takes anything, but even she didn't want it. It smelled very mature and just not good.

I also have the same problem as you with your Too Faced bronzer, except I have it with a Too Faced powder. The powder just doesn't transfer on to the brush.
I haven't tried the Too Faced powders, but I think sometimes you can get a hard film on top of your powders if your makeup brushes pick up oil from your face (or other products like cream blush or skincare that hasn't totally absorbed) and transfer it to your powder. If it happens again in the future, maybe try cleaning your brushes at the same time you scrape off the hard film and see if it helps? Or forget scraping and just toss it...there's a limit to how much effort I can put in, depending on the holy grailness of the product involved.

Tossed a few items while organizing my stash:

- Natural deodorant sample - super inconvenient clamshell packaging, the only way I could see to get it on was to rub my fingers in it, then onto my armpits and uh... hell no.

- Eyeshadow - I have SEVERAL similar colors (light shimmery champagne color), and it was in a brand I haven't had success with.

- Lip Gloss - pretty berry color, but again, awful packaging (a little pot crammed over-full), that was already starting to get super-sticky and dirty.  I have similar colors in better packaging, so off it went!

I used to feel horrible every time I threw something away, even if it was all used up (helloooooo, latent hoarding tendencies!), but it's getting better every time I re-do my stash.  Plus, the feeling of seeing my pretty uncluttered closet (I'm trying to organize my clothes as well) triumphs the "What if I NEED that lippie someday!?" feeling.

I couldn't agree more about the Michael Kors Gold perfume! I received it in a sample kit and thought it was terrible! I tried passing it off to a friend who normally takes anything, but even she didn't want it. It smelled very mature and just not good. I also have the same problem as you with your Too Faced bronzer, except I have it with a Too Faced powder. The powder just doesn't transfer on to the brush.
I haven't tried the Too Faced powders, but I think sometimes you can get a hard film on top of your powders if your makeup brushes pick up oil from your face (or other products like cream blush or skincare that hasn't totally absorbed) and transfer it to your powder. If it happens again in the future, maybe try cleaning your brushes at the same time you scrape off the hard film and see if it helps? Or forget scraping and just toss it...there's a limit to how much effort I can put in, depending on the holy grailness of the product involved.
Haha, luckily this product is certainly not holy grail status for me. The Too Faced powder that I have came this way. I've only used it a couple of times (once with a brand new brush!) and just gave up. I have 2 other pressed powders that I use that I don't have this problem with. I might give it a try one more time (I'm actually thinking that maybe the problem is the initial layer of the powder and it might be OK when I break in to it, but then again I've never had another powder come this way). If it doesn't work on the next try I'll de-stash it. My face is pretty dry anyway so I rarely need powder.

Ju

Yeah, looked into it with a flashlight. Wanted to confirm that I wasn't going crazy and that my new eyeliner was empty before I got a chance to use it.
I just had that happen to me! I was doing my makeup and reached for an unopened sample of Lancôme Definicils, and it was completely dried out! I've never opened or used it before today, so I was disappointed I didn't get to try it.

I decided to chuck my oldest lipstick today. I had to Google it, but found out it is CoverGirl Incredifull in 944 Pout Pout. I initially was just curious how old it was and how many grams were in it (to figure out how long it would take to use up), and then discovered that some research company did a study which, amongst other lines of lipsticks, found high traces of lead in the Incredifull line. Also, Covergirl discontinued the line at a minimum of 4-6 years ago. I know most lipsticks contain trace amounts of lead, but considering how old this one is (if I were to take a wild guess, I probably purchased this in 2006), it made the decision to toss it that much easier.

Found a bunch of stuff for my Back to Mac pile including White Frost eyeshadow (the tiny amount left is broken into small bits) Delft Paint Pot (dried out and unusable, too bad, but it's bright blue, no way could I use it all) Belightful Iridescent Pressed Powder ( barely used, but easily 8+ years old) Hitting the trash can: 2 Maybelline bouncy blushes and a Maybelline Instant Age Rewind, all just terrible products that I should have returned. 5 stila lip glazes from a lipgloss set where I think most were used only once or twice. Doesn't sound like much, but I reorganized my drawers and I feel so much better now!

Oh, I love this thread...espeically since I'm trying really hard to pare down my stash.

Today:

Cailyn gel liner in black - it is just getting dried out, and I've had it for too long already.

Garnier bb cream - I've held on to this forever, because I can't stand to waste, but it's too dark for me and makes me too shiny.

Cargo Blush in Amalfi - This one pains me a bit, but it has a funny smell suddenly (I have had it for a couple of years, though).

My Toni and Guy salt spray (wasn't a fan of the texture/smell), and my Ulta Skincare brand cooling eye roller. I like the eye rollers from Clinique and Origins better, and this one wasn't getting used/just taking up space. Still haven't found my holy roller, lol.

A set of about 4-5 brushes that were shedding all over my face.  Thankfully I got them from a swap box instead of paying "real money" for them, but yeesh.  Tried to do my makeup and ended up looking like an extra in Cats.

Back