What is the worst makeup advice you have ever received/heard of?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um ... well, once a lady at Shoppers (she didn't work there, just chatting while shopping) insisted to me that she swore by applying kohl eyeliner /directly to her eyeballs/ rather than just the waterline. I just made a dying sound before telling her that wasn't a good idea, and she said that "as long as it doesn't have glitter in it, it's fine! Glitter isn't eyesafe."

Lady ... how are you not blind...?
I legit LOL'd! Too funny!

When I was considerably younger and venturing into higher-class department stores for the first time, I must have had something in me that screamed "Small-town country chick fresh out of Catholic school." The Clinique rep at the now-defunct Sibley's (became Kaufmann's, then Macy's) swooped down upon me like a vulture and bullied my 18-year-old self into buying a screaming-orange blush, quite possibly the last one in the store; I imagine the reps had a quiet bet amongst themselves as to who could get the ugly thing out of there, with a steak dinner at a far better place than Ponderosa riding upon it. It wasn't one of those pretty, pinky-coral shades like Nars Orgasm, that everyone could wear; it was almost Men-At-Work orange; after 30 years I don't remember the name, and I don't want to. It was a hideous tangerine color that made the BOGO rack at Claire's Boutique look like a valid option. The rep insisted with the thumping assurance of an evangelist that my light, ruddy, cool-based punim would look good with swirls of garish orange evil streaked across it; surely I had seen the Top Models of the day (1985) wearing such a shade, and it would SOOOOOOO bring out my cheekbones! I think I hastened my mother just a little closer to her grave the day I took it home. Thus began my decades-long aversion to orange makeup.
OMG this was hilarious!!! Especially the part "with the thumping assurance of an evangelist..." I'm tickled pink!

Awesome thread! I wish I had something to contribute but at the moment I cant think of any horrible advice I've received.

I legit learned most of my makeup techniques from watching drag queens (Hello Willam Belli!) so I am sure I picked up horrible advice along the way, but still go with it. I do tone it down a lot to a more wearable look, but I am sure people look at me and wonder where I went wrong....I am rocking a red eyeshadow today. Just sayin'.

Moral of this post: Don't take makeup advice from me, or it'll end up in this thread!

not sure if this qualifies for "worst" advice, but... back in April in local Sephora I got matched to Color IQ a shade or to lighter then I need. At the time I did have some reservations about the shade, but the store associate assured me that it looks great... So, for a month or so I walked around with unnaturally light skin tone and wondered why I look so odd in the pictures. I don't really wear foundation every day, so that made it even harder to catch. Bottom line: trust your eyes (and your instincts), not store associates and their fancy technology.

Two words: Glitter EVERYWHERE. Why oh why did I listen to Seventeen magazine back in the 90's? I looked like a disco ball for waaaaaay to long.

I remember one of the girls that went to High School with me who asked me why I don't wear my foundation a shade darker than my actual skintone so I look tanner......... yeah no thx.

Oh the Seasonal book!  I'm an "Autumn" too, and while I was smart enough to avoid the orange makeup, I thought I could *only* wear warm colors and avoided anything cool like silver, pink or lavender.  Silly me, I look awesome in lavender!

I also, not on anyone's advice, but just by being young and poor, bought horrible quality makeup for years and years.  I couldn't figure out why everyone else didn't have eyeliner and mascara smeared under their eyes by the end of the day, or how their skin didn't start getting shiny after a few hours.   No lie, it was actually finding THIS site that helped me figure out all my makeup issues.  Two years later and I've found eyeliner that doesn't move, and powder that actually mattifies, and all the pretty shiny eyeshadow colors!

Oh the Seasonal book!  I'm an "Autumn" too, and while I was smart enough to avoid the orange makeup, I thought I could *only* wear warm colors and avoided anything cool like silver, pink or lavender.  Silly me, I look awesome in lavender!

I also, not on anyone's advice, but just by being young and poor, bought horrible quality makeup for years and years.  I couldn't figure out why everyone else didn't have eyeliner and mascara smeared under their eyes by the end of the day, or how their skin didn't start getting shiny after a few hours.   No lie, it was actually finding THIS site that helped me figure out all my makeup issues.  Two years later and I've found eyeliner that doesn't move, and powder that actually mattifies, and all the pretty shiny eyeshadow colors!
Your post made me sit back for a few minutes reflecting about my make-up journey... That's really cool and inspirational what you wrote...

Thank you @@vogueboy !  I am nowhere near your stratosphere of makeup knowledge, but I do try!  One of the things I enjoy now is supporting the indie makeup industry.  Not only are their products fantastic, but I love buying my makeup from such inspired, creative people!  

I would totally love to meet with an amazing makeup artist like you someday, just to really see what I've been missing, what I haven't been able to learn from YouTube!  That would be so awesome!

Put the cream blush on top of the powder foundation... LOL SIKE that was horrible!

also.. Put bronzer on your whole face to look tanner. Haha no!

Back