What kindled your love of makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youtube. lol. I loved playing with my mother's makeup but then never wore it through high school or even my first three years of college. it wasn't until I discovered beauty videos that the bug bit me! 

When i was younger i spent a lot of time with my mom's best friend/my namesake and she had a huge collection of Lancome and Clinique and Estee Lauder cosmetics and she would show me what you used them for and what colors looked best for what reasons and my preteen self couldn't get enough! Now working with cosmetics every day for the past 8 years, my interest just keeps growing!

These are ao fun to read! My first makeup experience I remember was being 5 maybe and I had a babysitter watching one of my mom's friends sons's and I. She walked us up to the corner store and have us both one dollar to buy a treat. She suggested candy, I chose a .99 cent bottle of bright pink nail polish. So it started at a young age. I think my real love started when I was in middle school. We were selling magazine subscriptions and I used my allowance to buy an allure magazine subscription. I remember they had an article, or maybe an ongoing column, by Kevyn Aucoin and I fell in LOVE. the transformations he could do and how beautiful he could make people look really stuck with me. I specifically remember my first trip to sephora, when I was in high school. I bought this benefit thing...it was a round black plastic thing and it has like mini lipsticks you could switch in and out and powder in the middle (does anyone remember this??? Can't find it anywhere) I spent like $30 on it which was sooooo much money on makeup, but I loved it. It's been downhill on the makeup buying ever since lol

I've always loved makeup, but I never owned a lot of it until youtube, which I discovered through pinterest. Now I'm trying to get back to just the love without the obsession!

These are great, I love reading how people got into makeup/beauty! I remember Tinkerbell cosmetics! I was so jealous of my cousin because she had them! But I got Petite Nate instead, loved that stuff! I used to get into my mom's makeup (angering her) all the time, and whenever we went to the mall, I'd put 2 different eyeshadow colors on each eye (normally one purple one green) and think I was gorgeous because I now had the "magic makeup" on my face. I played with it on and off for years, but never really "got into it", until I started watching beauty vids on YouTube. One of the main reasons why I never wore makeup was because I thought "I'm too ugly for it." Yes I suffer from low self-esteem, as many others do. But I got it back when I started getting compliments when I wore makeup, apparently I'm pretty good at applying the stuff! So that spurred me on and now I have to have some with me everywhere I go as a comforting object....and to touch-up! LOL

Back