What made you love cosmetics?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, well even though I cant say that I actually wear makeup, I can still say where I got my curiosity from and my interest.

the first time I started getting the feeling that I liked makeup, was when I stated noticing how a lot of women and chicks looked so gorgeous and pretty. I thought, how do they look so good and I look blah.

then I found out that there are techniques to making a smokey eye look, or that there are certain types of eyes that can wear cat eyeliner. all this was a bit of fuel to the fire.

I also started watching youtube vids of makeup tutorials and things like that, I am just so intrigued by it all. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Hmmm. Not completely sure but I think it was always seeing women with gorgeous smoky eyes (mainly celebrities) and I so wanted to get that look. I always had some makeup I wore (had a tiny stash) and normally wore only 1 eyeshadow color. It wasn't till I was about 38 or 39 that I looked up some makeup product reviews online and found a makeup board. Since then I've been very into makeup!

I love makeup because it gives me a chance to be creative!  I'm currently working towards my bachelor's degree in accounting, so I sit in class and crunch numbers all day.  Zero creativity there.  One of my favorite things to do on my days off is play around with makeup, the combinations are endless.  Its perfect.  

As far as what got me into makeup, I stumbled across some makeup tutorials by Marlena from MakeUpGeek.  That happened in 2009, I believe and I've been addicted since then :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I only started wearing more makeup when I was about 19 or so. And as far as I can say today I wore makeup pretty badly! :lol: I thought I was great at applying it but now I cringe looking at the pictures. Then I found Panaceea81 and Xsparkage on Youtube and it all went downhill from there. Here I am, 8 years later, loving makeup like it's my second kid (well technically it's my first kid because my daughter is only 4 :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). Funny thing is, my passion made my mom get into makeup. She was telling me a couple days ago that she never thought she'd own so many beauty products at age 52 :lol:

Shaaanxo really made me love makeup! I stumbled across her video and loved how makeup transformed her already gorgeous face into a flawless face! Ever since then there was no turning back!

I got into makeup as a teenager, but always used drugstore brand (and the cheaper, crappier stuff too!)  I was so used to my makeup melting throughout the day and always having to wipe black smudges from beneath my eyes.  Then, I had kids in my mid-20s and just got too busy (and ended up as a stay-at-home-mom, so if I didn't even change out of my pj pants, I so wasn't going to bother with makeup!).

Then, in late 2012, I found makeup subs (and MakeupTalk!) and really started to see the difference between good and bad quality makeup.  I've amassed a GIANT collection of makeup, tried so many different things, and now have a really good set routine.  I recently got contacts again after a few years of wearing glasses, so I got to do my makeup in the morning (so much easier to do my eyes when I don't have to be a just a few inches from the mirror!), run around all day, and still look pretty much perfect that night.  NO black smudges or melted makeup!

Well I always say my Momma marked me in the womb. She sold Blair Cosmetics door-to-door when she was pregnant with me to make extra money for my nursery.

The only cosmetic my Ninny (maternal grandmother) used was a face powder. If she got out her compact and applied powder, I knew we were going to town. Watching my Momma put on her makeup was such a treat for me as a little girl. She used black cake mascara that doubled as an eyeliner and watching her draw that cat eye seemed magical.

We had a neighbor who had been friends of the family forever, and she sold Avon. She was constantly bringing me bags of samples to play with. Since this was in the late sixties the lipsticks came in some pretty wild colors too. I remember white, silvery, pale lilac just so much!

Evidently when I was two, (according to family legend) I "borrowed" my Momma's false eyelashes. I got into bed with Ninny, laid them on my eyelids and fell asleep. When Ninny got up to pee, she came back to bed only to find two huge black spiders on my pillow. Much screaming and shouting followed Ninny snatched me up in one arm and proceeded to flail the dickens out the false lashes aka spiders.

There was a time I never used any cosmetics at all when I was in high school but sooner or later everyone tries makeup. Honestly I don't have that epiphany moment for cosmetics, I just simply looked better with it, so I sticked with it

I remember when I was little my mother got this huge gift package full of Lancome products. I thought everything looked so neat and fancy and asked if I could play with some of them. Since then, it has been a cosmetic world for me! :)

My mother worked in the industry since I was in late elementary school. I was raised in new colors, new looks, playing with all types of skin care, foundations, colors, glosses--OH WHAT FUN!  Grew up with make-up artists all around, as well as cosmetologists and skin care professionals! Was taught at an early age that good skin care prevention is the best way to go! You always want to accent your beauty, not cover anything up, and being and feeling beautiful on the inside is the KEY to looking beautiful! Always had fun and still do!

In 2007, I was 11, I discovered Panacea81 on YouTube, and I suddenly wanted to try all of her looks. But I think it happened even before that. When I was in primary school, I always wanted those children's makeup sets, and I would always love playing with my mum's makeup, or my oldest sister's makeup. 

I have worn makeup since I was in my early teens, but I didn't really get into it until this year (I turned 30 in June). I felt like I needed a hobby and being of a creative mind, I thought I would try experimenting with different aspects of beauty. It started with nail polish and doing my own manicures and pedicures with help from YouTube tutorials, then into elements of the face with the exciting world of contouring and highlighting, and it slowly evolved into the "monster" it is now, lol. My mission is to go to cosmetology school and become a professional makeup artist when I have the funding to do so. I have a mild form of bipolar disorder and I find that experimenting with makeup helps keep my moods more even because I have something to focus on other than my problems.

Until around two years ago I couldn't even tell you the purpose of foundation vs powder but then I discovered the wonderful world of Youtube and became interested in makeup. Now I still don't wear makeup everyday but I know lots about it and have a respect for the art form that I never had before. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What made me fall in love with cosmetics was, plain and simply, the art of it. I fell in love with the colors most of all and then the different finishes different products had because some finishes truly brought out some colors in my opinion. 

I because so fascinated how these colors then brought out or complimented certain facial features and then I realized that this truly was an art. I was amazing at how makeup could really transform a face. It was like magic to me so I guess you could say my love for cosmetics was a magical experience.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was bullied a lot in high school about not being as attractive as the other girls because some were always caked in makeup and others just had natural beauty. I envied the other girls a lot and as sort of a self-confidence thing, I turned to makeup to boost my confidence and make me feel better about myself and to be honest, I wasn't found attractive until I was in college but at that point, that wasn't what interested me anymore. Wearing makeup was for me at that point, it was because I felt better in myself wearing makeup and I think every girl should have confidence in themselves and do things for themselves and not other people x

I've loved it my whole life - I danced when I was young (starting at age 3) and always wore make-up for recitals. Plus, I used to sit and watch my mom put on her make-up and do her hair. I was destined to be a girly-girl!

An interesting topic..! 

My mission to get perfectly arched eyebrows which I don't think I still have achieved till today, I know they are not exactly same, made me look into the mirror ever morning after getting up from sleep since my teenage days. Mom used to be so worried as what's wrong with my girl, always staring at herself in the mirror.. LOL, made me love cosmetics. And then what followed is part of my life...can't imagine life without cosmetics and make-up.  Love.

My estranged great-aunt was a MAC makeup artist and would send me gifts from the line when I was little.

However, what really started my adoration of makeup was the day I was discharged from suicide watch for the first time. I decided I was going to do something spontaneous, and I picked up a bright red lipstick (Rimmel's 'Alarm 170'). I wore it almost every day for 5 months and decided that makeup made me feel happy, so I started looking into it. Almost a year later, here I am.

Back