What ONE product did you buy that was a total let down?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urban Decay Gimlet and Honey Body Powders - tastes weird and my poor pale skin cant handle the colors!

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

L'oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting base.  According to them, this was supposed to help with smoothening your face and creating a nice canvas to work with when putting on makeup..also to keep away grease....well....it created nothing of the sort...It felt good...nice and smooth when I just got it on...and within one minute (no exaggeration) it was gone....absolute waste of money.

That's too bad it didn't work for you. I actually love it! It's one of the only face bases/primers that doesn't clog my pores and irritate my extremely sensitive skin. It helps to keep my foundations on all day too. I could see, however, that different skin types might not like it as much as others. My face, right now this time of year, is much drier than it is in the summer so we'll see how it is when the weather gets warmer around here.

Covergirl's Outlast Lipstain --

The colors don't "match" the shade description, it goes on blotchy, doesn't last, makes your lips dry, and just looks 
madno.gif

I have yet to see a review site where people are totally in love with the product.

I bought three colors, and just can't get myself to throw them out even though every time I try to wear it, I curse the heck out of it. 

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MUFE HD Foundation, looked horribly greasy and shiney on me. I wanted so bad to love it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I second this.

This was the biggest let down for me, I had the same issues with it. :/

I heard so many great things about it, I was hoping it'd work the same for me as it did others.

I can't remember the name of it, I do remember that I bought it through Beauty Boutique. It was a liquid product was supposed to set your lipstick so that it wouldn't smudge or wear off for hours. You brushed on after you had your lipstick on, and it turned the lipstick to sort of a hard, plastic-like coating that started peeling off in strips within minutes of applying it, plus it stung my lips when I applied it too. It was awful.

Originally Posted by Carol D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't remember the name of it, I do remember that I bought it through Beauty Boutique. It was a liquid product was supposed to set your lipstick so that it wouldn't smudge or wear off for hours. You brushed on after you had your lipstick on, and it turned the lipstick to sort of a hard, plastic-like coating that started peeling off in strips within minutes of applying it, plus it stung my lips when I applied it too. It was awful.

Sounds like an awesome concept with poor execution 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by esha /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UDPP in sin. And I even uses the thinnest application.

I have a new full size bottle just sitting in my drawer of Sin.  I got it in the two pack (original and sin) about a year ago.  I've also tried everything to apply the tiniest amount on my eyes and the shimmer is just toooooooo overpowering.  One more thing that will sit until either I throw it out or give it to my teenager. 

@topic:  I may have said this already in a different topic, but I strongly dislike Cover Girl Outlast lip color. I know there are a lot of other similar lip color products out there, including Revlon Color Stay, L'Oreal Infallible Never Fail lip color, NYC Smooch Proof Long Wearing Lip Color and Maybelline Super Stay 24 Hour Color. Out of all of those I have honestly only ever tried Cover Girl Outlast.

When it first came out I was really impressed because they (Cover Girl) had the TV commercial where Brandy (the R&B singer) is wearing an Outlast lip color (supposedly) and is biting an apple and no lipstick rubs off.

So, being silly like I am, I ran out and bought some Outlast lip color. First of all, I found that it was a witch to put on evenly, but that's probably just because I need more practice applying liquid lip products. Secondly, I tend to get dry lips easily and I need to wear a lot of lip balm. I find that Outlast just makes my dry lips look and feel worse. The moisturizing stick that comes with it doesn't help me that much, although I will admit I love the high shine it has. Also, I found that the product flakes off all over the place. It flaked off on my teeth, on my face, and when I actually tried eating an apple, it flaked off all over that too. Then, my nice even application ended up looking like crap. The worst thing I find about Cover Girl Outlast though is that even though it comes off like crazy at times when you don't want it to, when you actually go to remove it at the end of the day it's really hard to get all of the product off even with really good makeup remover for non transfer and waterproof makeup. I've definitely seen non-transfer makeup that is much better. Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation works much better and is actually non transfer. Mind you, I haven't tried their Double Wear lip products.

By the way, has anyone here tried any of those other non-transfer lip products I listed, and are any of those any better than Cover Girl Outlast, or are they all about the same?

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

L'oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting base.  According to them, this was supposed to help with smoothening your face and creating a nice canvas to work with when putting on makeup..also to keep away grease....well....it created nothing of the sort...It felt good...nice and smooth when I just got it on...and within one minute (no exaggeration) it was gone....absolute waste of money.

I found that the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer was completely useless. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I kept hearing how good it was supposed to be from consumers in magazine reviews and stuff. They would say it's supposed to even out and smooth your skin tone and reduce the appearance of pores and minor imperfections to the extent where you're almost not even supposed to need foundation. Seriously. One review actually said something similar to: "my skin looked so much better after using this that I don't even need to wear foundation!"

So, again, of course I was all impressed. (do you think I'll ever learn??) At least this time I never bought it though. I got a free sample of it in the mail (thank goodness.) It does nothing for me. Literally nothing. It's exactly the same as applying a light moisturizer to my face. There was no noticeable difference in the size of my pores or to the smoothness or appearance of my skin. (It was no smoother than a normal lotion would have made it.)

This product is also a complete write off in my opinion. The only face primer I've used (and bought) so far that I was actually really impressed with was MAC Prep and Prime with SPF 50. I highly recommend that.

Unfortunately I did the same thing and bought a collection of junk WOOT! Now I can't throw it away as it wasn't cheap junk, its called your best friend (ybf). The kit included and eyeshadow quad, lip and eye pencils, foundation powder, lipglosses and sticks that are all an ugly brownish red, they feel like paste and physically hurt to put on my skin!! fyi don't buy! :S

Back