What part of your makeup routine is the most pest-ish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by StakeEdward /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hate putting on foundation. I get it done quickly (full coverage w/in maybe 2 minutes), but not always perfectly because my skin is dry & flaky underneath, and yet it gets very oily throughout the day. My skin drives me nuts! Plus, I'm always between shades with foundation. I'm never the LIGHTEST shade, but I'm never dark enough for the next shade up.
Oh man, me too! I dread putting on foundation. I can never find the right shade so I always end up looking...off. Annette had a good suggestion about mixing; I might try that! The shade is the least of my problems, though. I get the same flakiness that you mentioned even if I exfoliate beforehand, moisturize, and use a primer. I have combination skin. What I have found that works best is a tinted moisturizer. It comes the closest to the "dewy complexion" look. I still find some flakiness and uneven patches but it's nowhere near as bad as with a regular foundation (liquid or powder). Have you tried that?

I have the same problem. Oily & flaky! Which tinted moisturizer would you recommend? I haven't tried any yet...

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the same problem. Oily & flaky! Which tinted moisturizer would you recommend? I haven't tried any yet...
The one I've been using is Olay Definity Color Recapture. So far, it's been better than the regular foundations I've tried, but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it (in terms of flakiness), so I am with you in being open to suggestions! It's the only tinted moisturizer I have tried, but apparently MAC, Stila, and Laura Mercier have a good ones from reviews I've read.

I really dislike doing foundation. I dont feel like my face is complete without it, though!

mascara!! My right eye holds the curl, length, and volume so well when I apply mascara. But not my left eye!! It never hold curl, it takes me forever to apply 3-4 coats of mascara to make it look full and thick. So lately, I've been using individual false lashes to help give my left eye lashes a boost.

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am yet to find my perfect shade of foundation.  I get really really close shades that 'seem' to work sometimes, but not the best match.  Still on the hunt.

I had your problem, but I mix two foundations. One lighter than my skin (or really me on my palest day) and one darker (on my very tannest day). I'm white and sunless tan so I can be a myriad of colors pending my tanning usage, but you still may be able to benefit from 2 colors and mix them to get the perfect shade.

My only problem left is finding a color yellow enough. Since I fake tan, my skintone loses red and all foundations are slightly too pink.

To answer the original question, EYELINER KILLS ME. Seriously. I can line my right eye perfectly (I use gel liner) and my left eye never looks as good. Then I end up putting it on too thick. So then I have to go back to my right eye, and it's this vicious cycle.

Liner & brows.. but I love the look of polished brows and winged liner, so I deal with it.  All while muttering of course.. LOL!

Originally Posted by wildflower22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am yet to find my perfect shade of foundation.  I get really really close shades that 'seem' to work sometimes, but not the best match.  Still on the hunt.
I had your problem, but I mix two foundations. One lighter than my skin (or really me on my palest day) and one darker (on my very tannest day). I'm white and sunless tan so I can be a myriad of colors pending my tanning usage, but you still may be able to benefit from 2 colors and mix them to get the perfect shade.

My only problem left is finding a color yellow enough. Since I fake tan, my skintone loses red and all foundations are slightly too pink.

To answer the original question, EYELINER KILLS ME. Seriously. I can line my right eye perfectly (I use gel liner) and my left eye never looks as good. Then I end up putting it on too thick. So then I have to go back to my right eye, and it's this vicious cycle.

Oh, I'm the same with liquid eyeliner (have never tried gel). That's why I always use powder or pencil liners...so much easier to apply! I used to use liquid liner all the time until I decided it was too much of a hassle.

I've never tried tinted moisturizer. I've gotten very used to using full-coverage foundation because my skin, until recently, has been so terrible in terms of breakouts. Now the breakouts have calmed down, but I have some marks left over from them.

Eyeliner is a killer for me.  But more than that I dislike the beard cover portion of my makeup routine 
icon_rolleyes.gif

You need to try clarins color quench balm! If lipgloss and lipbalm had a baby this would be it. Its the feel of a lipbalm with the color of a gloss

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Skin I think. It's not difficult really, I have pretty good skin, but it is the most time consuming part and I always want to do it right. Moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, blush, highlighter... all that just for my skin!! And then I still have to do brows, eyes and lips! LOL Luckily I'm a lipbalm only girl 99% of the time!!
I think I need to face it that I'm a lip balm girl myself.  LOL

I'd probably say mascara.

I have to curl my lashes before and after applying mascara but it takes forever to get my lashes looking somewhat similar on each eye arghh!

Sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by Anna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to try clarins color quench balm! If lipgloss and lipbalm had a baby this would be it. Its the feel of a lipbalm with the color of a gloss

Skin I think. It's not difficult really, I have pretty good skin, but it is the most time consuming part and I always want to do it right. Moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, bronzer, blush, highlighter... all that just for my skin!! And then I still have to do brows, eyes and lips! LOL Luckily I'm a lipbalm only girl 99% of the time!!

Eyeliner was a challenge for me at first.  But now I seem to have it under wraps.  Liquid liner is a whole other ball game.

Originally Posted by Lynne James /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eyeliner is a killer for me.  But more than that I dislike the beard cover portion of my makeup routine 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Anna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard that new balm from Covergirl, Natureluxe is really nice too. It's more like a semi sheer lipstick instead of a balm. I'll be trying that one out soon.

Some days all of it! lol But I have blotchy skin and if I want to be at least presentable I have to have some sort of foundation to even things out. The part I hate is concealer. I don't have super dark circles under my eyes, but it's enough that I don't like it. But it's also where I have fine lines and so many products accentuate that instead of covering it up. It's also hard to find a good color match that isn't so light you look like a reverse raccoon with glaring white undereyes. I think I might have found my HG concealer though, during the CVS sale they had Revlon's Age Defying concealer at 75% off. It's creamy so it's good at hiding those fine lines, it's a color match, and it lasts throughout the day. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting a backup or two. I'm thinking it might be discontinued at CVS but I probably still can get it elsewhere at full price for the time being.

Covering the dark circles under my eyes. It's the most difficult. I'm never satisfied. And it's depressing.

Eyeliner without a doubt, I'm almost nervous everytime I do it because if it goes wrong it's soo annoying to fix.  Especially if you've spent a lot of time doing a perfect shadow look.  Plus Im legally blind in my left eye, and it can't be fixed with contacts so doing my right eye is aggravating.

Oh yes.  If I am super satisfied with my eye shadow work, I will skip on the liner, especially liquid liner.  I'm too scared I mess it up because I never mastered correcting liner mistakes.

Originally Posted by kaylin_marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eyeliner without a doubt, I'm almost nervous everytime I do it because if it goes wrong it's soo annoying to fix.  Especially if you've spent a lot of time doing a perfect shadow look.  Plus Im legally blind in my left eye, and it can't be fixed with contacts so doing my right eye is aggravating.

Concealing imperfections, powder and eyebrows. Maybe I need a more opaque, drier cream foundation to cover them, but my usual is losing against my last set of acne scars. They're so dark that even though I use camoflages, after I powder, they peek through, which annoys me to no end. Then I can't wear powder and get a nice finish, it always dries up my skin, so I have to spritz so I'm happy before I leave home and then my bros are SO different, it's a labor of love to make them look even close to each other.

Mascara and closely following: foundation.

Mascara because I have long lashes and until they are covered in wet mascara, I have to keep my eyes open but not too wide open 
biggrin.gif
 otherwise it'll smear all over the carefully prepared eye makeup.

Foundation because I use mineral makeup and the result of makeup depends on how my skin is behaving. Too much moisturizer and it will flow away, too little and skin will become flaky - but my skin needs a different amount of moisturizer every day - it's pure guesswork :S

Mascara for me.  My eye lashes hate holding a curl, so I need to use waterproof mascara if I have any hope for them to stay. (And then I need a strong waterproof formula)

I guess the more annoying part of it though is removal...most everything else on my face can just be washed off normally, but if I have mascara on, I need to take the extra step of using a waterproof makeup remover.

I usually skip mascara now just to make things easy, but it always takes at least a few minutes to curl, a few more minutes to apply (PER eye), then even longer still at the end of the day to remove!

Back