What word do you use to describe a cat?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cute! I'm originally from Minnesota, and we used a few of those! We use a few of them in Iowa also. I would hate to see the response a Canadian would get by calling a hardcore Southerner a Yankee.

Cat an animal, very observing, and patient, and smart.

What do you call a Pencil Eraser? a Rubber? or Topper? RUBBER - We Indians Say

What do you call your Trainers? Tennis Shoes? tennis shoes

Patatoes? Spuds? Pharmacy? Drugstore? Chemist?

Pavement? Kerb? Sidewalk? Carriageway? Motorway? Road? Street? ALL

Originally Posted by Shelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here are some Canadian words. This will be useful if you visit or move to Canada.
wink.gif

Source: Wikpedia

Distinctive Canadianisms

Canadian English has words or expressions not found, or not widely used, in other variants of English. Additionally, like other dialects of English that exist in proximity to francophones, French loanwords have entered Canadian English.

• ABM, bank machine: synonymous with ATM (which is also used).
  • bachelor: bachelor apartment ("They have a bachelor for rent").
  • Canuck: a Canadian.
  • double-double: a cup of coffee with two creams and two sugars. And by the same token, triple-triple.
  • eh: a spoken interjection to ascertain the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed ("That was a good game last night, eh?"). May also be used instead of "huh?" or "what?" meaning "please repeat or say again." Frequently mis-represented by Americans as A, or hey. One of the most distinctive Canadian phrases.
  • fire hall: fire station, firehouse
  • ghost car: An unmarked police car.
  • hoser: An uncouth, beer drinking man. Used extensively in Bob and Doug Mackenzie skits.
  • humidex: measurement used by meteorologists to reflect the combined effect of heat and humidity.
  • hydro: a common synonym for electrical service (used primarily in Eastern Canada). Many Canadian provincial electric companies generate power from hydroelectricity, and incorporate the term "Hydro" in their names: Toronto Hydro, Hydro Ottawa, etc. Usage: "Manitoba Hydro... It's not just a Power Company anymore."; "How long did you work for Hydro?" "When's Hydro gonna get the lines back up."; "The hydro bill is due on the fifteenth."; "I didn't pay my hydro bill so they shut off my lights." Hence hydrofield, a line of electricity transmission towers, usually in groups cutting across a city, and hydro lines/poles, electrical transmission lines/poles.
  • keener: Someone that is keen or enthusiastic to do a task.
  • LC: Short for "Liquor Commission". Refers to a government-operated liquor store.
  • loonie: Canadian one dollar coin. Derived from the use of the loon on the reverse.
  • parkade: a parking garage, especially in the West.
  • pencil crayon: coloured pencil origin: bilingual package label Pencil (English) Crayon (French word for pencil).
  • pogie: term referring to unemployment insurance, which is now officially called Employment Insurance in Canada. Derived from the use of pogey as a term for a poorhouse.
  • runners:[running shoes, sneakers, especially in Western Canada.Also used in Australian English and Irish English.
  • stag and doe: a joint male and female party prior to their wedding.
  • tie one on: to go out to drink alcoholic beverages and become very inebriated (primarily in Western Canada - Saskatchewan).
  • take off!: An expression of disbelief or denial.
  • tuque: a knitted winter hat, often with a pompon on the crown. Sometimes spelled toque.
  • two-four: A case of 24 beers.
Canadian Slang Words
Source: Bill Casselman

A Canadian---- Could be referring to Molson Canadian Beer

All-Nighter---- Drinking until the next morning

Anglo------ A non-French Canadian

A shot------ One ounce of liquor

Away------- Used to describe someone who has left one of the eastern Provinces and moved west.

Brain Drain---- Exodus of Canadian professionals seeking employment in the USA.

Brew--------- A beer as in "let's go for a brew"

Butts-------- Cigarettes

Clicks-------- Used instead of kilometers or miles

Dole--------- Government Assistance

Down East---- All Provinces east of where you are

Eh?----------- What did you say? Repeat that please or know what I mean?

Ex------------ Short for Molson Export beer

Forty ouncer--- 40 ounce bottle of liquor

Francophone--- A French Canadian

Get Lost------- Insisting that someone leave you alone

Goof---------- A moron or idiot

Gradge------- Garage

Hammered----- Very drunk

Hogtown------ Nickname for Toronto

Johnny on the spot-- Portable toilet at outdoor event

Mickey----- 13 ounce of liquor

Mounties--- Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Newfie--- A person from the Province of Newfoundland

Polluted--- Very drunk

Poutine--- Fries with gravy and cheese curds

Shinny--- A game of hockey played on the streets

Shooters-- Drinking one- ounce shots of liquor

Skull Cramp- A bad headache

The Can- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

The John-- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

Toonie-- Canada's two dollar-coin

Tronno---- Toronto

Twenty Sixer-- 26 ounce bottle of liquor

Weed--- Marijuana

Yankee-- Any US citizen

Zed--- The letter after Y

LOl ! very funny. pencil crayon is interesting, you're kind of repeating twice the same meaning. Zed comes also from from French
smile.gif
we also use weed ("herbe" depending on the context it does not always mean grass
rotfl.gif
).
in french we'll say cat or kitty, pussy is very pejorative.

I was born in Scotland, and live in the USA. I find lots of different words every day!! When I first moved here and someone said the word fanny I was so embarrased. Different meaning in UK and USA!! I will think of more and post them

My Dad would call his cat his pussy, I always wanted to smile!! In UK the trunk of the car is the boot. The glove compartment, is the ducket.

I would call it a Pussy? Cat or Kitty cat

What do you call a Pencil Eraser? a Rubber? or Topper? Eraser

What do you call your Trainers? Tennis Shoes? Tennis shoes

Patatoes? Spuds? Pharmacy? Drugstore? Chemist? Potatoes; Drugstore (normally I call it by the store name);

Pavement? Kerb? Sidewalk? Carriageway? Motorway? Road? Street? Sidewalk and street

Just thought of some other words that are quite different in England compared to the States, i believe you call a Babys Dummy a Pacifier, Nappy`s you call Diapers & Jam you call Jello, Candyfloss you call Cotton Candy, i know there are loads but cant think of any more at present

Originally Posted by Mares /img/forum/go_quote.gif Chavs are trashy (meaning the way the speak and act) no Burberry is not cheap but Chavs dont dress cheap, far from it.
Johnny on the Spot how funny is that, very interesting, never heard of half those words

I am thinking maybe a Chav is a pimp from the description. Maybe?

Thats so funny, no a Chav is not a pimp, a Chav is a young boy/man being loud and full of himself, flashy, showoff etc

Does any one know what this means..

"Are you on a pay as you go tariff?"

Or how about..

"Do you know what a Croydon facelift is?"

biggrin.gif

Cat, eraser, sneakers, potatoes, drugstore/pharmacy (both), I walk on a sidewalk, I drive on a road/street/highway. I say cookies. I call gasoline gas. Yep, the usual.

I call them all sorts of things. Kitty, Mama-kitty (boy or girl), cat. I don't know.

I say 'eraser' and leave it at that.

I actually just call them shoes. XD I'm not into it enough to differentiate.

Personally, a lot of things the Irish/English say confuse me. They have a ton of slang that I just never hear.

hrm...i'd say.."here kitty kitty....

Tennis Shoes...I say Trainers.....

Spuds..i say potatoes...

Drusgstore...i say chemist...

Potato chips...i say Crisps

Cookies...i say Biccies

University...i say uni

afternoon..i say arvo

some of these terms are aussie...my hubby rubbed off on me..so

now that my hubby's been living in the states for a while..and when he says

water...it's pronounced more like waterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

smile.gif