What's your opinion on Wedding Invitation Etiquette?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, its time for me to start addressing them up !!! 5 mos. today exactly to the date, yipee!!

Anyway, I need help, what's your opinion gals? (I'm only talking about the addresses on the envelopes the wedding invitations go in, and the return envelopes for the RSVP cards).

Do they really have to be done in handwriting? Years ago that was proper etiquette .... Is it still that way or could a person simply use clear labels, and print them off on the computer using a really nice Calligraphy or handwriting font? If you were to receive one done up w/ a computer label would you think any less of it, or would you even notice or think anything of it?

I used to be good at Calligraphy, but we are talking years and years ago. I bought a Calligraphy pen set and clearly I can see if I'll be doing them up myself then it will be a slow, painful job and I'll prolly have to practise a lot first.

My friend invited a little over 200 people to her wedding, and if I remember correctly, they didn't hand address each envelope. I don't think my other friend did either. Now, since I had a small backyard wedding, I did address them myself (I made my own invites too). Honestly, I don't see why it would be so bad. Brides have WAY to much to worry about and stress over!

it's the year 2006..........don't we use the computer for everything!!!

i really think nobody would even notice the difference!!

you're going to drive yourself crazy with all the little details!!!!! :wacko:

i have no clue, but just wanted to say good luck! could you take a pic when you come up with them?

It depends -- I think most people in our generation would be understanding, but older guests or very traditional guests might think it was rude or impersonal. I addressed all our invitations by hand, I think we sent out about 60 or 70... I just did a handful each day and it was done in no time! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wouldn't sweat it.

The only envelopes I would worry about hand writing the address for would be the ones for Thank You cards.

If it bothers you that much though, maybe you could hand write the ones for your really close family and friends and then use printed address labels for those you are less close to.

You've all really helped me out here, TY. My family is extremely formal in all respects, they are the ones who would find computer font rude ...

I think I've found the solution thanks some of your posts here: parents on both sides will get handwritten ones and everybody else gets good ol' computer font !

After doing up all those xmas cards yesterday I just didn't want to sit down and start writing all over again :laughing:

i used labels with a handwriting type of font...

and you know what, my parents and his parents wanted certain things put in the actual invitations and it just couldn't happen. so for their sakes and our sanity, we custom made one for each set of parents with their "request" and everyone else got what WE wanted on our inivitations!

YOu can go online and search for really pretty "wedding" fonts and download them for free.. That will save you ALOT of time!

Then we did addresses on clear labels.. looked fine!

I don't think anyone is going to notice anyway. Everything comes with the address printed out now. And, to be perfectly honest, most people don't remember the invites anyway.

Maybe handwrite your family and closest friends if you like but I wouldn't worry overly much about it.

I used labels! We sent out about 600 invitations though so that would've taken forever to hand write! We had two receptions though, one in Utah and one in Los Angeles, so the invitations weren't all for the same reception! LOL

Well during my bro's wedding we wrote invitation name and add by hand for 1000 people. I think writing with hand it's show more value of the invitation. (to me and my family)

invitations sent out in the numbers of 500, 600 and 1000, WHOA !!!!

um, my wedding is going to be very small in comparison.

its funny when you get married the tiny little things that you worry about, like invitation addresses ... then bigger wedding projects that you always thought you'd always flip out over, you take w/ a grain of salt

Back