When you go makeup shopping...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i know im going makeup shopping i will usually try a little harder b/c i went to the mac store one time and got some eyeshadow and the girl was like hhhmmm...your eyeshadow doesn't stand out very much. I was just kinda like...ok......!!! So since then ive always tried really hard w/ my makeup!!

i totally wish i could leave the house without makeup. but i can't, but if I'm headed to the makeup counter i might touch up anything that the normal eye might not catch

I always wear something on my face, usually it's a minimal look, foundation, little bit of concealer, blush, powder, mascara and eyebrows done. If i go shopping for makeup i'll try to put more effort into it, because i know i won't get the same answer on the other side.

It also depends on what i'm buying, for example i was searching for a good eyebrow pencil/powder, so obviously i went to sephora with my yucky natural eyebrows. Same goes for eyeshadows, if i'm buying one, i'll consider wearing no eyeshadow that day so that eventually i can ask the makeup artist to apply it on me and see what it looks like with my eyes.

I usually wear minimal makeup when going mu shopping, I went to Myer the other day and they have this older woman to me she looked over 50 judging by her skin which wasn't all that crash hot yet she thought she was the hottest thing around and looked down her nose like serving me was taking up her valuable time, there was no other customers waiting so I dont know what her problem was, but i was that offended that even when i had the things to purchase at register I walked away.

I don't understand it personally, seems a requirement of working at some places is to have a major attitude.

It depends on what I'm going to buy!! If I`m in the market for foundation or concealer, then I won`t wear any. Either way, I will wear minimal makeup - normally eyeliner, marcara and a wash of shadow. I do tend to feel a bit paranoid though cause I feel like the MA`s are thinking that this chick knows nothing about makeup
smile.gif

Oh gosh, I thought I was the only one who did this! I've noticed when I dress crappy and use little or no make up, I get treated either normally or am totally snubbed (I've only had one girl at the MAC counter treat me nicely on one of these days (for I was incredibly sick and did not feel like putting effort into clothing); she was a total sweetheart. When I dress nicer and wear nicer or more make up, I feel like I'm taken more seriously.

Originally Posted by kyuubified /img/forum/go_quote.gif When I dress nicer and wear nicer or more make up, I feel like I'm taken more seriously. I think that's true in many situations, though. Not just at beauty counters and makeup stores. When I got out in scrubby clothes and no makeup I don't have as much confidence, I don't feel as good about myself, and people do treat me differenty...whether it's because of my appearance or because of my insecurity about my appearance.

Yep, I agree, this is especially so at departmental store mu counters. You must wear lots of mu and dress nice before they would serve you well. Even then, sometimes they snub you! I have no idea what their problem is, maybe they only serve people who look like they can spend hundreds at one go well?! As for drugstore cosmetics, we have sales people for them too, and they are generally nicer so mostly I have no problems there.

I usually go makeup shopping wearing some makeup... like the normal amount that I feel like wearing that day. Ive gone to MAC a few times though with just some clear mascara, brows groomed, a little blush, gloss, and smudgy eyeliner and the ladies were all still very nice to me.

If I have to go to the counter for any face product, I wear concealer, a bit of powder, blush and mascara since they can just wipe off all the face products. I never leave the house without mascara. Other than that, if I'm going for a specific product, I usually go sans that. I've had to deal with really pushy ladies and I just ignore them. They tend to realize after i start asking for something specifically that just bc I'm almost barefaced doesn't mean that I don't know jack about makeup.

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that's true in many situations, though. Not just at beauty counters and makeup stores. When I got out in scrubby clothes and no makeup I don't have as much confidence, I don't feel as good about myself, and people do treat me differenty...whether it's because of my appearance or because of my insecurity about my appearance. True, i think we just notice more the difference in attitude when buying makeup. I would say i feel about the same with or without eyeshadow on, but a little bit of foundation, blush and mascara do boost my "positiveness" and i suppose people notice that too.

Originally Posted by Ozee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I usually wear minimal makeup when going mu shopping, I went to Myer the other day and they have this older woman to me she looked over 50 judging by her skin which wasn't all that crash hot yet she thought she was the hottest thing around and looked down her nose like serving me was taking up her valuable time, there was no other customers waiting so I dont know what her problem was, but i was that offended that even when i had the things to purchase at register I walked away.
I don't understand it personally, seems a requirement of working at some places is to have a major attitude.

That is so bad, Ozee!
I wear only mascara when i know im may bump into makeup shopping.

I just noticed that I hardly ever wear makeup when I go to the makeup counter. I don't know why... HMPH....

It depends on what I'm going for.. like if I'm looking for face products..i.e blush/ powder/bronzers..I won't wear anything but concealer and the same for eyeshadows..I'll just do my face but no eyes..

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I wear makeup no matter what if I'm going out. But I do spend a little extra time on it if I'm going makeup shopping at the mall. lol. same here. Another reason for me wearing a full face of makeup is that I know at those stores they´re gonna be mirrors and bright lights. I´ve had some occasions where I went makeup shopping with only a little makeup on, and I was horrified when I saw my face in that mirror under those bright lights. I almost felt like buying up the whole arsenal of makeup to cover up the ugliness lol

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif same here. Another reason for me wearing a full face of makeup is that I know at those stores they´re gonna be mirrors and bright lights. I´ve had some occasions where I went makeup shopping with only a little makeup on, and I was horrified when I saw my face in that mirror under those bright lights. I almost felt like buying up the whole arsenal of makeup to cover up the ugliness lol That's happened to me, too. That's why I always wear makeup to the gym! Talk about tons of mirrors and bad lighting.

I never think about it ahead of time, and when I realize I am barefaced and the other women aren't I have this feeling they are looking at me thinking "***** better be buying makeup for that crack face!"
biggrin.gif
Going to the grocery store doesn't bother me being barefaced, but you go to a makeup department and counter and suddenly I feel like the ugly duckling amongst a sea of swans.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I wear makeup no matter what if I'm going out. But I do spend a little extra time on it if I'm going makeup shopping at the mall. lol. I'm w/ StereoXGirl. I don't leave the house w/out make-up. I feel naked without a little mineral powder, touch of blush, swipe of mascara and a little lip gloss.
Plus, I do most of my make-up shopping online, so makeup or no, I rarely ever deal w/ MA's. I was a prof. MA for years, and if I spotted someone shopping for makeup and she wasn't wearing any, it's like a moth to a flame. I couldn't wait to put something on you. ;0

Back