When you were a child, name some things that you were terrified of...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, I always thought I was teh only one who was afraid of mirrors as a child. I think part of it has to do with having really bad eyesight as a child and not having glasses until I was older. You know, its dark, everything looks blurry anyway and then instead of seeing the flat wall I would see dark shapes in the mirror.

Oh my goodness I'm laughing hysterically at all these fears...but I'm just about to join in there with you!!!

Everytime when I was young, and used to go to the bathroom, I'd always check behind the shower curtain, for some reason - I thought for sure one of those times I'd find someone behind there. I always shut my closet door at night and checked under my bed.

One night I must have turned around in my bed and ended up with my head at the bottom of the bed and didn't know it, so when I tried to get out of bed, I had thought I was lying the way I was supposed to (Head at top)...well my bed was up against a wall, and I thought someone locked me up in my bed...HAHAHAHA, I was trying to get out of my bed, but "the wall" had me locked in, I was pushing the wall and banging it...I was sweating like crazy...Finally my Mom comes in and turns on the light.....HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....Boy did I feel stupid!!!

hahaha.gif
hahaha.gif
hahaha.gif
And I wasn't about to explain that one!!!!!

The Thriller Video. Definately. Vincent Price's eerie voice narrating it. its weird though because i love zombie movies now.

the whole mirror thing, i totally agree. when i was younger my aunt had taken me to see phantom of the opera. she had bought me a shirt to wear as a pajama as a souvenier. it was a long black shirt with the phantoms mask on the front. well...i had always done the 'turn the mirror around at night so you dont see the window in the mirror,' thing when i was little because it freaked me out. but i had gotten home soooo late that nite that i fell right to sleep. basically i got up in the middle of the night to use to bathroom, and while half asleep looked up in the mirror to see a floating white face. the mask on the shirt glowed in the dark. who knew? i screamed bloody murder and my parents came running into the room. they still tell the story to this day.

and still to this day things from my childhood that totally freak me out: spiders, clowns, ventrilaquist dummies and those dolls that open and close their eyes and are totally lifelike. *shudders*
eek.gif

Things I was scared of as a child:

needles at the doctor's office, scared of the dark, the boogey man, being left alone, afraid of being lost or separated from my mom in a store, afraid of my parents getting sick and dying, scary movies.

Yeah, I was a neurotic kid.
eek.gif

My parents didn't let us watch really scary movies but I do remember being afraid of ET (especially when he turned white, yuck!) and Gremlins! lol

I think my biggest fears developed after we moved from California to Missouri when I was 5. When we got to Missouri, my parents told us about a poisonous spider called the brown recluse that were in the area (and that we didn't have in CA), and even though you can recognize a brown recluse by the markings on their back, I was suddenly scared of all brown spiders thinking they were poisonous, and that soon transfered to just being scared of all spiders! And I am still afraid of spiders!

Likewise, when we got to Missouri my parents told us about tornados so we would be prepared in a tornado warning. Well of course I started being scared during every thunderstorm, thinking it would turn into a tornado, even though we only had tornado warnings and took shelter in the basement about once a year. Sadly that fear did eventually come true -- when I was in college a tornado went through our small hometown and destroyed nearly half of it, including most of the businesses and many homes (fortunately my house survived, and only a few people in town died, no one I knew). I still cry when I see pictures of all the devastation it caused. Now I'm extra scared of thunderstorms, especially since we do get tornados up here where I'm at grad school. (And on a side note, the devastation caused by Katrina reminds me so much of what my hometown looked like after the tornado, minus the flooding, and I really feel for those people since I've had a small taste of what they went through!)

Polystyrene (I still am and have to get other people to unpack things that are packed with it).

oh my god!! i was so afraid of mirrors and the "bloody mary" legend, that it STILL bothers me to type the words now!!! i also used to cry at night. blast that book "scary stories to tell in the dark!" that book was awful for small children - just awful! i still don't like mirrors, and i still cannot look in the mirror in my bathroom without having turned on the light first. i was a little scaredy-cat when i was a kid....

in the same book, there was also a story about a man who would chop off the toes of little children whose feet were sticking out from their covers and turn them into sausage....so i would ask my mom to tuck me in really well when i was little...until i was 13!! that book was later banned from elementary schools by the way! glad i was a guinea pig!

I am and was afraid of the dark. I was also afriad of JELL-O yes JELL-O. I remember being served some and not being familiar with its consistancy I saw it moving on its own in my bowl, that was it no Jell-o for Joy!!!!

BTW I did get over the Jell-o thing, lol but it took many years.

Originally Posted by jessica9 oh my god!! i was so afraid of mirrors and the "bloody mary" legend, that it STILL bothers me to type the words now!!! i also used to cry at night. blast that book "scary stories to tell in the dark!" that book was awful for small children - just awful! i still don't like mirrors, and i still cannot look in the mirror in my bathroom without having turned on the light first. i was a little scaredy-cat when i was a kid....
in the same book, there was also a story about a man who would chop off the toes of little children whose feet were sticking out from their covers and turn them into sausage....so i would ask my mom to tuck me in really well when i was little...until i was 13!! that book was later banned from elementary schools by the way! glad i was a guinea pig!

omg i remember those books. used to scare the heck outta me!!!
icon_eek.gif
i dont know why i would torture myself with taking them out of the school library when i was in elementary school. the stories were pretty gruesome if i remember correctly. its a good thing that they banned them.

I had alot of fears. Unfortunately, some of them have stayed with me. I guess I should seek professional help.

the dark

my closet (the door had to be shut at night or else I wouldn't sleep)

underneath my bed (i'd run and take a giant leap into the bed so nothing would grab my ankles)

thunderstorms

the attic

light sockets (only because my mom told me to never mess with them so ofcourse I had to find out why by sticking a fork in there and getting shocked)

cockroaches
eek.gif

I think that's it.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa

I had alot of fears. Unfortunately, some of them have stayed with me. I guess I should seek professional help.
the dark

my closet (the door had to be shut at night or else I wouldn't sleep)

underneath my bed (i'd run and take a giant leap into the bed so nothing would grab my ankles)

thunderstorms

the attic

light sockets (only because my mom told me to never mess with them so ofcourse I had to find out why by sticking a fork in there and getting shocked)

cockroaches
eek.gif

I think that's it.

Eww, I have a cockroach story. I killed on in our garage about 5 months ago. But I dropped a board on it and it's whole big ass was smashed right off. I came back the next day and it was still crawling around withOUT it's ass on it...wtf. They are indestructible!

dogs, cats and old people...I have no idea why, I have never been attacked by any listed, unless I've blocked it all out.
wink.gif

I was and still am scared of old people who wear their pants up to their tits. Thats just disturbing. But I guess thats how they must hold them up? lol

THE BOGGIE MAN
icon_sad.gif
icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) this is funny now. but I remember when I was a kid, I was terrified of the vacuum cleaner. I hated it when my mom would clean. I guess I was scared because it was loud and sucked things up.
Name some things that you were afraid of as a kid that you were afraid of then......

1.) I´m with you, Anne. I am terrified of clowns...I was traumatized when I watched Stephen King´s IT when I was 7. I´m still not mad at my parents for letting me watch it (we watched it together) because this started my passion for scary movies.

I just watched it again last year and it was all ok, I thought, hey this movie isn´t even THAT scary and as soon as the clown appeared I almost died.

2.) slugs. they are not just disgusting to look at, they scare me. I can´t even look at one in a book or IRL. I was again traumatized one night in my friend´s backyard...there were hundreds of them, in all colors....
eek.gif

3.) I used to be afraid of mirrors-not anymore though (only when I look bad *LOL*...that sight still scares me)

4.) I always thought there is SOMETHING under my bed and I was even too afraid to look under the bed to check. I always thought something would crawl up there and touch me (another trauma from scary movies)

When I was little I was scared of.......

1. Under the bed. I always had to wear socks because I was scared a monster would come up from under the bed and touch my feet.

2.Ouijja Boards.

3.Earthquakes. In the Big Quake of '89 I fainted. I think I was 8?????

4.Needles. I still faint everytime I get a shot or my blood drawn.

5.The Garbage Disposal. I could never get the nerve to put my hand near that thing. I was soooo scared someone would turn it on and grind my hand off.

Come to think of it. I am still scared of most of these things.

I used to be sooo scared of mirrors when i was around 13. I read this legend of bloody mary, and if u just look in a bathroom mirror and its dark u can see her and all this stuff, and I always had to turn the light on first. I remember once i forgot, and i was sitting on the toilet, and the mirror was right across, i looked up, screamed, closed my eyes and wiped myself, and ran out of the bathroom!!! SOOO SCARY!

Back