Where do big makeup companies get their minerals ingredients from?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About Everyday Minerals - Carina recently posted that, now that they've switched their brush handles to bamboo, all their raw materials are from the US.

Dame Ali:

Thanks for suggestion, however, I wish I can have some more scientific proofs.

Originally Posted by mk12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif About Everyday Minerals - Carina recently posted that, now that they've switched their brush handles to bamboo, all their raw materials are from the US. I read that on the Everyday Minerals site too.

I know that she said that EDM is going to discontinue the Silk Dust, which I guess is from China.

But I know that Carina just went to Costa Rica to check out ingredients for her new Everyday Naturals line of products.

She said "The goal is to have the best ingredients from around the world, that perform better than anything else on the market, at real and outrageously affordable prices!!!"

So I am a little perplexed.

However, I trust in Carina's integrity, and I believe she would never use unsafe ingredients in her products.

Although, sometimes I wonder why it is that EDM can't put the SPF or the cancer seal of approval on their products when other brands of mineral makeup, (even a brand like E.L.F.) can.

Or why they still don't have the PETA seal of approval when other brands do.

But then again, I don't really have any idea of how difficult it might be to do that.

I just wonder sometimes.

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif I read that on the Everyday Minerals site too. I know that she said that EDM is going to discontinue the Silk Dust, which I guess is from China.

But I know that Carina just went to Costa Rica to check out ingredients for her new Everyday Naturals line of products.

She said "The goal is to have the best ingredients from around the world, that perform better than anything else on the market, at real and outrageously affordable prices!!!"

So I am a little perplexed.

Yeah, me too. But I just assumed that the skin care line will have some exotic oils and such from elsewhere, but that for now, until the skin care line is launched, all the raw materials are from the US. Apparently Carina went to Costa Rica to make sure the materials they'll be using are truly organic, sustainable, ethical and all that. They seem very committed to maintaining those values.

I think EDM is animal friendly because one of the biggest reasons they are discontinuing their silk products is because they don't know if the silk worms are being treated humanely. They should have the same spf as any other mineral company like bare minerals and e.l.f. because it's the zinc oxide and the titanium oxide that gives it spf. I'm pretty sure it costs money for companies to get seals like that (don't quote me though, lol)anyway so a lot of times its harder for smaller companies to get approved for those sort of things.

I know the SPF should be the same, at least that is what I assume. But why can't EDM put the SPF on their products for the customers assurance that the products have sun protection?

We shouldn't have to assume anything.

It is up to them to provide that information.

But like I said before, I don't really know how much goes into getting the right to do that.

But I would think that Everyday minerals could do it, if these other companies have done it.

It would just make me feel more confident about using their products, and I don't think I am the only person in the world that feels that way.

Oh yeah, I totally understand what you mean. I always feel better about a certain company if they have signed something like the cosmetic safety seal or whatnot. It just gives me more peace of mind. But yeah I know what you mean about being confident when using their products.

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know the SPF should be the same, at least that is what I assume. But why can't EDM put the SPF on their products for the customers assurance that the products have sun protection?We shouldn't have to assume anything.

It is up to them to provide that information.

But like I said before, I don't really know how much goes into getting the right to do that.

But I would think that Everyday minerals could do it, if these other companies have done it.

It would just make me feel more confident about using their products, and I don't think I am the only person in the world that feels that way.

As I understand it, they are unable to give a specific SPF unless they pay the FDA a ton of money for testing and certification.
Personally, I would rather not subsidize that expense with higher product costs, so I am very glad they have not done that.

Then again, I like to make sure I get sufficient UVB rays for health reasons, so I am not concerned about maximizing my SPF.

This is an interesting article:

Four Out of Five Sunscreens May Be Hazardous to Your Health - Articles

I didn't know that UVB are the good rays and are most prevalent during mid-day.

. I am looking for pigments that are already made. I want to repackage in smaller containerss and sell. Do you know of any places that I can buy. Thanks again for such helpf readings, Remain Blessed.

This thread is a bit old so i'm not sure the original posters might be able to answer you. I can't really help either, TKB trading sells pigments but i'm not sure if they would match your needs. Also what do you mean by ready made pigments? The mineral pigment or the makeup item we call pigment to mean it's a loose powder versus a pressed powder ?

The Conservatorie does custom labeling, so does Elegant Minerals and I suspect also Coastal Scents. 

I think those are some very good questions. Like many others have suggested, I think contacting the company of interest would be best, then maybe following up with some of your own research based on what information they do provide. I don't know how likely it is they will answer all your questions, but it may help your case if you explain to them why it is of interest or concern to you.

I think you would need to order a lot before those suppliers would even consider you as a customer.  Small quantity orders are more trouble than large reqular orders. 

No cosmetic company is going to tell you where they get their ingredients.  Do you know where most of your ready to eat food comes from? 

Originally Posted by MC G-lite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that big (and not so big, like Everyday Minerals) companies probably don't mine their own minerals. So that leads me to wonder, where do these makeup companies get the minerals from? Who supplies makeup companies with the mineral ingredients for their makeup?

I have searched for "cosmetic grade mineral suppliers," but nothing comes up but the same shifty looking "Mineral Wholesaler's".

I know that some of the less professional looking brands of mineral makeup offered on the web probably do use these "Wholesale" mineral suppliers. But I very seriously doubt that Everyday Minerals, BareMinerals, or any other serious companies purchase their minerals from these few Mineral wholesale websites.

But it is like a big mystery. I can't really find any information on this subject.

What up with that?

Does anyone know what to look for?

I don't know if I am using the right terms or names for the minerals.

I don't know why, but this is really bugging me!

I need to know where they get the minerals!!!!

It is driving my crazy!!!!!
I love the kind of thinking that you have. This made me realize what if those makeup manufacturers just deceiving their customers. They can label some products with "infused with minerals" if the like so. But i reality there is no mineral trace on those makeup. What do you think? 

I read somewhere that Minerals are removed from the earth by mining. After being mined, the raw minerals are separated from the other mined materials (like ores), purified and crushed into fine powders to form microscopic crystals which can then be used in cosmetics. Some have to undergo various processes to produce the required compound used as an ingredient e.g. the mineral zinc is vapourised to combine with oxygen to create zinc oxide.

Maybe cosmetic companies tie with mining companies that provide raw materials for their mineral makeup production.

Apparently Mineral Makeup without parabens, nanos, bismuth oxychloride, gluten or talc & BUAV certified  is safe for use!

Back