Where to get cosmetic makeovers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My friend and I are willing to offer ourselves up for a while to get some good advice on makeup. Where can we go? I tried looking on Yelp, but not much help.

We really want someone who will talk to us and advise us. Thanks guys.

I should add that I am willing to pay for makeovers. I kind of want to schedule it ahead of time. Should I call a department store?

I've had bad experiences with department stores in the past and Muas saying it costs $65 and smirked (I've never heard more than $50 for this service, am I wrong??). I think she just assumed I was there for a freebie, so I left like she obviously wanted.

Another edit- does part of the reservation fee go to the Mua? I feel like if I paid just to reserve the appointment... I shouldn't feel bad if I don't buy anything. I would be upset if NONE of that went to the artist though.

ANOTHER edit- do you think it is better to pay for it? After hearing some of the stories on here... I don't know if I wanna shell out a 50 on something so unpredictable, not that I don't trust Muas, it's just... that's a lot of money

well if you have a sephora nearby, usually they're nice people and can give you some advice, and if they have the time they can also apply makeup just to show you how to use it.

or you can go to Mac and ask a MA. i don't know if the MA get something, technically i'd think it's part of their job, so they get paid for that, no matter how nice they can be.

my guess is you have to go to different department stores of different brands, ask about a makeover (price, time, and what makeup they actually put on your face, if there's specific makeovers for eyemakeup for example, of if it's a general makeover with foundation etc for a whole look).

let us know what you decide :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

you can go to any makeup counter in a department store and get a makeover. It would be best to call first, just to make sure

I would suggest MAC or Sephora. I like Sephora better though. They are real nice and will take time to help you out. MAC is good too, but the only thing is that you have to wait forever because there are so many people wating to get helped.

Have you tried going to the department store counters? Talk to the makeup artists and they will tell you about special events were they do makeovers. They usually do them when they have a new product coming out. I've gone to a NARS and Clinique events at the Macy's near my house. They charge nothing for the appointments and the actual makeover. THey even give you free stuff. Its real neat. Just ask around the counters. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the counters are different. so it's best to call around and see what each counter offers. i know mac stores and mac counters have different makeover rates.

I'd pick a mu line you're interested in, whether it's MAC or Stila or whatever, then call and make an appt. I know at my Macy's MAC counter the makeover is "free" as long as I purchase $40 worth of products. Which at MAC is very, very easy. LOL...

I don't know about other places, but I know my Clinique counter does makeovers for free. They just ask that you buy at least one of the items they use. Most people usually buy the lipstick, according to the MA I talked to the other day. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

try sephora. we give makeup consultations, not makeovers. you don't have to buy anything, but it's expected, i guess you could say - if you're happy with it. if not, they'll take the time to find something you're happy with and then you buy it. usually, it doesn't matter how much it costs, as long as it's two or more items. make sense?

Back