Where to go once you've fallen off the wagon?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my rules for the 100 days is that I can pretty much only hang out in the No Buy Forum on MUT. I'm trying to savor my last few days on the rest of the site.

Threads outside of this forum that I'm staying subbed to are Secret Santa because there are still reveals and "what hit the trash today". I want to focus more on non-shopping non-internet interests, and I just get too sucked in to the enablers, memebox, and indie threads.
Me too! I'm trying to stay out of other areas of MUT. I'll be visiting some threads in the general Makeup Talk area because I like talking about makeup and it doesn't usually enable me as much as the shopping/hauls area. I'll be really picky about which topics I open though.

Yesterday before the 100 day challenge - I made a purchase from the Topbox website.  Hopefully I got the shopping bug out of my system for a while.  I was eyeballing the kryptonite err eye shadow quad for a while.  The bath bliss collection contains the most amazing hair product ever and I just couldn't bring myself to spend $56 for the f/s right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the wagon!

Under spoiler because it's emabarrassing and will tempt others! These were not replacements nor covered by exceptions. 

First, I bought a DVD. 

Then, I went to Yves Rocher! I have loved Yves Rocher since 1991. This is the time of year they launch new products. I got Magnolia Shower Gel, Muesli and Honey Shower Gel, and the new Ice Plant Toner, with GWP mini serum, cream, and Quelques Notes D'Amour perfume. Can't resist Yves Rocher right now, and want to order more too. 

Then, I went to L'Occitane. I missed the L'Occi box, and I wanted a set with those cute Elle graphics. I found a hand cream set, then added Clear Angelica Face Soap to get free shipping. SuperBowl special - got free Magnolia and Mure perfume. 

Then I went to Ulta and got the Argan Wear things - bronzer, blush, oil and BB Cream - buy one get one 50 percent off. I was watching a YouTube beauty video and there was an ad for the items at the beginning - that's what got me wanting them. 

Then I got the Sample Society January box (I love Erno Laszlo) and signed up for the February Birchbox. 

Then I signed up for Netflix - streaming plus DVD.

And I don't feel I am through yet. I want a Macys Lancome GWP! They sent me a flyer in the mail - I tried to tear it up without looking, but I still can't get those beautiful makeup bags out of my head. And I want Clinique undereye mascara, Kate Moss mascara, and maybe Sally Hansen Luxe Lace! 

So you can see my no buy is off the rails. Still, my habits of coming here and of systematically using up my stash remain - so I will do that at least.  

I also have another transgression to report: ordered a lipglass from MAC Toledo collection yesterday. 

Sometimes it happens that for various reasons, we fall off the wagon and here goes the no buy. But it doesn't mean it's downhill from there. Today (even if you bought something, the next hour you can forget about it) and tomorrow is another opportunity to start fresh and not to think about those missteps. It's not all or nothing.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">  Good job sticking with your system to use up stash! You can get back on track with no buy too! I know you can. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

First, I bought a DVD.  I sold it back to the used movie store.  
Then, I went to Yves Rocher! I have loved Yves Rocher since 1991. This is the time of year they launch new products. I got Magnolia Shower Gel, Muesli and Honey Shower Gel, and the new Ice Plant Toner, with GWP mini serum, cream, and Quelques Notes D'Amour perfume. Can't resist Yves Rocher right now, and want to order more too.  Set new products aside to use later, as a reward.  

Then, I went to L'Occitane. I missed the L'Occi box, and I wanted a set with those cute Elle graphics. I found a hand cream set, then added Clear Angelica Face Soap to get free shipping. SuperBowl special - got free Magnolia and Mure perfume.  SuperBowl special - I don't even watch football. I set the products aside as a reward for later. I kept the pretty boxes to use for my storage, and added the foil samples to my project of finishing all my foils before anything else. 

Then I went to Ulta and got the Argan Wear things - bronzer, blush, oil and BB Cream - buy one get one 50 percent off. I was watching a YouTube beauty video and there was an ad for the items at the beginning - that's what got me wanting them.  I set them aside to use as a reward later - still in their boxes. They are very pretty but are summery products anyway. Ulta did not include my variety sampler - just one fragrance card - but I was glad to have fewer foils to use up! 

Then I got the Sample Society January box (I love Erno Laszlo). I put the nail polish away to use as a reward later. I can use the baby Erno Laszlo soap after I finish my older travel size cleansers. 

And signed up for the February Birchbox. I cancelled as soon as the box shipped out as Birchbox was not an allowed sub under the plan. 

Then I signed up for Netflix - streaming plus DVD. This has helped. I play old movies while I am using my products and this reinforces that my project is fun and relaxing. 

And I don't feel I am through yet. I want a Macys Lancome GWP! They sent me a flyer in the mail - I tried to tear it up without looking, but I still can't get those beautiful makeup bags out of my head. I wanted that GWP so badly that I tried to reopen the charge card for the store that had the bonus. But the bank turned me down, stating I owe too much already. Thank you bank! As time has gone on, I want this less and less. I got paid and could have purchased it, but I felt more like buying food and getting ahead on monthly payments. Plus my February Glossybox - allowed under my rules - came, and is prettier than any GWP! 

And I want Clinique undereye mascara, Kate Moss mascara, and maybe Sally Hansen Luxe Lace!  I had forgotten about these. I focused on what I have and the cravings to buy got better.

About a year ago, I ordered from Yves Rocher after getting the catalog in the mail. I have fond memories of my mom always ordering from there and her and I opening the box together to see what she got and what GWP she got with the order. When my order came, I wasn't so excited. I have most of these types of products and enough to last a life time so every since this excercise I've been able to forget about Yves Rocher. One less brand for me to buy from. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> The brand is nice but it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. The products were nice but I have enough equivalent products.

The good thing about Lancome is that they will have GWP all the time and the next time and time after that might be even better ones than the current one. I know it's hard not to give in though. You are doing great! Like you said, the Glossybox was better than the GWP. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Big thumbs up on Netflix. That's what we use at our house. It's the best with the kids and totally worth the price, saving money in the long run.

Great that you held up on the mascara, focusing what you have instead of what you don't have is the key. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

After being on no buy for 100 days starting January 1, I went on a binge of shopping. Here is what I got:

I need to consult notes to recall it all. 

1. Birchbox Madmen California box - $10.

2. L'Occitane - L'Occi Box and bar of Almond Delicious Soap. The L'Occi Box had champagne gummy bears. I got the box in the early evening and already finished the bears by the following morning. I was not smart enough to use the codes, and paid $62.55 for the box and soap, added soap to get free shipping.

3. Glossybox Mothers Day Limited Edition - $40.

4. Macys - two Clinique Color Pop Blushes and Lulu DeK GWP - $55.59.  

5. Nordies - two polishes from YSL Sahraienne summer collection - $57.78. 

6. Ebay - vintage necklace - $6.49. 

7. Walgreen - Rimmel Kate Rose Gold Shadow Stick, Office Supplies, Snacks - $33.

8. Sephora - Easiest Nudes Ever Palette from Benefit $45, L'Artisan Parfumeur Mini Set - $22.42, Peter Thomas Roth Mini Masks, $25.63. 

9. Ipsy - signed up for waitlist, but then cancelled - $0. Really love Ipsy but hate waitlist. 

11. Mask Genie - May Pouch - $22, Oriental Beauty Pouch - $26.50. 

12. Yves Rocher 70 percent off sale

Retropical Eye Shadow - $3

Summer Collection Eye Shadow I wanted last summer - $3

Folk Passion Duo Eye pencil - $3

Summer Collection Perfume I wanted last summer, but was too expensive - fabulous deal, created by Francis Kurkdjian - $10.

Opal Top Coat - $2

Grey Nail Polish - $2.

13. Car Repairs - $450 (needed). 

All these things I purchased with my credit cards. I am happy about the car repair, because I paid off a $500 retail card on my no buy, and that debt was replaced by a more important car repair charge. I paid off some other debt, then used that credit to buy the new things. So I am not further behind from all this, but almost at the level I was when I began my no buy. 

The sad thing is I still want to buy more. I want to order more Yves Rocher, and I am waiting for their new summer line to come out. I want to order more Mask Genie. I like the Guerlain and Dior summer collections. But the Yves Rocher is what I want most. I came back from a binge here before, and went back on strict no buy, so maybe I can do it again. 

Looks like I charged $384.96 this week. Added to the car repair, I charged $834.96. I paid off $1000 during my no buy. Shows how one week of being on a binge can undo good done from months or trying. 

The best thing to do is to forget about what you just did and don't let it get you down. The best part is that your car is fixed now and because of the no buy you were able to do it. Today and tomorrow is a new day. Just because you bought those now doesn't mean you need to do it again or feel bad about it. I've been buying more things lately that I shouldn't have but I'm trying to move forward and not worry about it and get back to being more reasonable and think things through. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I know what you mean about the Guerlain and Dior summer collections. I've had bunch of things in my sephora shopping cart but haven't bought them yet. I think just going through the exercise of putting the items in the cart helps and then closing the window.

Do you have room in the budget to give yourself an allowance for monthly beauty expenses? Maybe like $30 a month? So if you want to buy something one month, you can feel ok about it because you know you can since it's in the budget and if you want something more expensive, then maybe you can save your allowance for 2 months and then buy it knowing that you will be able to since you saved up for it and it was included in your budget.

The best thing to do is to forget about what you just did and don't let it get you down. The best part is that your car is fixed now and because of the no buy you were able to do it. Today and tomorrow is a new day. Just because you bought those now doesn't mean you need to do it again or feel bad about it. I've been buying more things lately that I shouldn't have but I'm trying to move forward and not worry about it and get back to being more reasonable and think things through. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I know what you mean about the Guerlain and Dior summer collections. I've had bunch of things in my sephora shopping cart but haven't bought them yet. I think just going through the exercise of putting the items in the cart helps and then closing the window.

Do you have room in the budget to give yourself an allowance for monthly beauty expenses? Maybe like $30 a month? So if you want to buy something one month, you can feel ok about it because you know you can since it's in the budget and if you want something more expensive, then maybe you can save your allowance for 2 months and then buy it knowing that you will be able to since you saved up for it and it was included in your budget.
Thanks for your support! I think the $30 is a great idea. I decided to let myself have Ipsy and Birchbox. That way, I can acquire new things each month without having to shop, as shopping gives me too many ideas and too much temptation. Just enjoy whatever the subs send me, and don't look in any stores. The remaining ten dollars can be for little necessities like cotton pads (I like nice ones), base coat, etc., that subs do not give. 

Back