Why did you go on no buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on one because I have so little room in my cosmetics basket and case!!!  I also need to spend less, and I love the feeling of finishing a product - it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and yes, I am aware of how cheesy that sounds!!!  I have tons of stuff for everyday and special occasions - so many things within the same color ranges and product types - I fear buying duplicates or similar items across brands.

Until recently I was on a no-buy for two reasons, the first being I just had too much of the same stuff that I really needed to use up (well.. still kinda sorta do ^^; ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and the second reason is the fact my best friend and makeup partner in crime will be visiting me soon, and I know we will go on a buying spree ^^;; so yeah, just wanted to clear out some room for the new products that will be making their way in soon!

I am on a no buy because I am not working right now and have other important responsibilities besides makeup, however I do  cheat from time to time. I will buy foundation if I need some but items like eyeshadow I have way too much eyeshadow and lipsticks and lip-gloss. I want to use that stuff up instead of purposes more and more and not using the products up.

My friend and I have a bet. She thinks I can't abstain from buying MU for 2 months. I'm proving her wrong. Bet ends in a week! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I believe I'm going to win.

Last year I got really bad into my spending habits...I spent over $2,000 on random things I didn't really need...now that I am really trying to take control over my finances, I realize that all that money I used on things I didn't need (and threw out) could have been better spent on bills that wouldn't stress me out now...!

I still buy an occasional product here and there, but at the time, I feel really guilty about it. It has gone into the reverse where I feel guilty for spending $10 on shampoo & conditioner! lol  I went on a book-no buy a couple years ago. I am obsessed with books and would look through every book section of every store I went to and buy for no reason other than..."Maybe I'll read this someday." I have over 300 books now, Three bookcases packed with various books and now a lot of debt. It's easier to look at the price of something in a store and ask myself, "What would this money be better used on?" Now that process has leaked everywhere else in my life... Where would my time better be spent?

Once I start paying off bills and finally get ahead, and my new business is going strong, I will be a little more lenient on myself, but until then it's not a good idea. =)

I am not no-buy, I like buy online 
biggrin.gif

I am on no buy for the next 2-3 months. Since last Friday, I have binged on makeup specifically eyeshadows and palettes. I feel like i'm over doing it and my makeup drawers have gained weight. I'm having issues closing my cosmetic drawers. I feel like a makeup hoarder. I'm starting to feel ashamed. Today I went into Walmart and had great difficulty walking past the makeup isles. I need to save money for a family trip to Florida for Christmas. I just realized how much I spend on makeup per month and it kinda scared me. So, i'll try it for two to three months and when I succeed, i'll try to extend it. But, I do welcome people giving me makeup and cosmetic related items
wink.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Lets see;

1. I lost my job, and can't find one to save my life!!!

2. The money I would spend now goes to trying to save our home from foreclosure!!

Thats it in a nut shell

I definitelty understand. I wish you well.

Originally Posted by CLKR97 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lets see;

1. I lost my job, and can't find one to save my life!!!

2. The money I would spend now goes to trying to save our home from foreclosure!!

I'm going on a no buy so I can put some money in my savings account and start paying down some of my credit cards. The balances are high. I've been impulse buying way too much. It's time for me to take control of my bad habits. Hopefully this will be the first of many positive changes.

So many reasons why I'm going on a no buy!

1. I kind of went crazy over the past few months buying a ton of makeup and fragrance. I really need to calm down and use up a lot of what I have before it goes bad.

2. Because I went pretty nuts, I spent a ton of money. Money that I really should not have been spending on makeup and other non-essentials.

3. My husband and I are both students, and his funding might be gone come January. If that's the case, we definitely need to save our money! So, I don't need to be wasting money on products that I don't need. We'd like to buy a house in a year or two, so that means watching our money much more carefully.

I've cancelled my subs to New Beauty testtube and Beautyfix, and I hope that the smaller and less expensive Birchbox and MyGlam can take care of any inklings I might have to purchase something I don't need. 

I am currently on a no buy because I am a student, and I have so much makeup that it is obscene. I just got rid of a bunch, and that money could have went somewhere else. I am currently trying to save for something that I have wanted for awhile, and could have bought it with the money I spent on makeup. I will be taking the next three months to use up the products I currently own and not buy any more.

I'm going to start a no buy today (with the exception of my two subscriptions), because I am running out room to store everything and I have so much stuff that I need to use up. I don't need any more colors of anything and I really don't need any new nailpolish, mascara, lip products, etc. I did go on a spree lst week and bought the entirety of zoya's spring collections (true and fleck effect), 2 revlon lip butters, and a LOT of mascara and eyeshadows. Besides running out of space, I need to devote money to other things right now, particularly credit card bills. Hair products are excluded, because I have very specific products and those are all I use. We'll see how it goes! 

I am so happy to find this forum and this thread. I am on a no buy because I spend way too much time and money buying makeup, and frankly it's pissing off my husband. We have a family and a house that I should be spending money on, not my color fixation and sale addiction. Also me spending money on crap I don't really need  gives him permission to spend money on crap HE doesn't need, so it's a vicious cycle. If I set a good example then he will no longer have an excuse to by motorcycle and boat parts lol...

me spending money on crap I don't really need  gives him permission to spend money on crap HE doesn't need, so it's a vicious cycle. If I set a good example then he will no longer have an excuse to by motorcycle and boat parts lol...
Wish my wife had an out of control spending "hobby" I'd love a motorcycle! lol Welcome to Makeuptalk!

Thanks Karren, & I appreciate the humor, especially since my husband wishes he had one too. 'cause all he has is parts Bahh!!  I really like your fireplace BTW!!!

Thanks Karren, & I appreciate the humor, especially since my husband wishes he had one too. 'cause all he has is parts Bahh!!  I really like your fireplace BTW!!!
Lol. I'm lucky my wife's is the fiscally responsible adult in our family. I'm lucky she let's me spend what I do playing ice hockey and other "hobby"...

Back