Why do hair stylists NOT do what you say?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an interesting article about this on xxx

It has a lot to do with communication. One person "thinks" that the other understood what she wanted to explain but ...

Also happened to me! I complained to the salon owner and she said the cut was free and tryed to give me gift certs for free cuts in the future!!! I laughed at her and walked out. Thank God my hair grows fast.

What people don't understand about getting there hair done is Its all about communication. It also doesn't help to be what we call in the salon industry as a "salon jumper". These are people who jump from salon to salon. Thats why a lot of people get bad styles. Because they jump around. It is very hard to work on new clients. If you stay with a stylist you will find that once they learn exactly how you like your hair, your hair type. and your personality each visit gets better. So once you find someone you like stick with it. If any doubt take a picture. Especially on the first visit. Also some people pick styles that are just not good for there hair type. We might cut it just like the picture but your hair doesn't have the same texture to achieve it. Most the time its not a bad cut its just the hair texture is not anything like the models in the pic. I know everyone wants there 1st visit to be the best but some stylist just haven't got the experiance or tecnacal skill . It's sad. Thats why I wish schools would be more hands on in teaching students what they need to know before they go out on there own.

BTW if you have a bad experience with one person in the salon that doesn't mean each person there is not good. So if they offer to fix it for free ask for there most experienced stylist.

Originally Posted by ldivastar7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif What people don't understand about getting there hair done is Its all about communication. but when i ask for a 1-2 inch trim why do i get a 6 inch cut? that isn't a communication issue that's just failing to listen or the stylist just deciding that they know "better" than the client.
i can't tell you how many times, at how many salons, i've discovered that stylists just don't know how to measure. i cut my own now & it's never looked better.

I'm terrified of getting a haircut, but I know I need to. I've only had one that I truly liked, so I guess I'll go back to the same place, but I'll probably get a different girl and if she messes up I'll be so distraught =(. My friend just got a haircut (not from that place) where the hairstylist didn't listen to her at all, and I doubt even knew what fringe bangs were, because my friend specifically requested NOT to have fringe bangs. Getting a haircut is a scary experience for us =/.

Originally Posted by pookatrina /img/forum/go_quote.gif but when i ask for a 1-2 inch trim why do i get a 6 inch cut? that isn't a communication issue that's just failing to listen or the stylist just deciding that they know "better" than the client.
i can't tell you how many times, at how many salons, i've discovered that stylists just don't know how to measure. i cut my own now & it's never looked better.

1-2 inches from 6, Thats just out right not listening to what you say. At no time is any reason for that. I've had it done to me because the stylist wasn't listening. So I understand.
If I think a clients needs more off than what they ask for I will let them know what I think is needed. I still do what they ask. Most the time they agree with my recommendations some times not. I never just cut it because I want to. I do agree that some stylist do what they want not what the client wants but that doesn't mean all stylist are like that.

Communication is definitely key. A consultation prior to your cut is always recommended, but not always done. You also have to remember that an experienced stylist will use REAL measurements (granted, if they are listening to you when you say how much you want off) so what might seem like an inch to you... might only be 1/2 " in reality. When you say an inch... you will get an inch. Sometimes its more dramatic than what you were expecting.... so you definitely have to talk to the stylist, show pictures, and explain how you wear your hair, how much time and effort you want to invest in doing it each day, and your lifestyle. Someone who has a newborn that only has 5 min. to spend doing their hair in the morning might not be able to handle the maintenence of certain cuts... it won't look right, and then assume it was cut wrong. The more you talk and clear things up before the scissors come out... the less chance for disappointment after.
smile.gif

like any other bussiness you have good/bad so when you find a good one it's best to stick to that person i learn my lesson for straying never again! your right some cant get it when you say trim they wack it off

I usually go to a chain haircutting place called Supercuts, and they usually do a pretty good job. I'd say the only time they really didn't was when I haven't been forceful/clear enough about what I want, so then they get creative and I've always been too shy to say how much I hate something even if I have, so it's never gotten changed. So all that is basically my fault--and for me it's really best to come in with a photo of what I want, or else just make the simplest request possible(like, just 2 inches off, cut straight across.)

I'm so sorry! I know how you feel. My stylist has cut way more off of my hair than I asked for before. People always say, "It'll grow back." But when your hair grows really slowly and you are trying to get it to waist length, this is not much of a comfort. One trick I have learned is to tell them to always cut it dry. Also, I always watch what is being done while she cuts it and say something if I am uncertain about what she is doing.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm sorry that happened! I've had similar experiences so I can empathize. Double Ditto.

Originally Posted by Saja /img/forum/go_quote.gif People always say this, but somehow i never find it comforting hahahah Me neither. It just makes it somehow worse!
scared.gif

Originally Posted by FeverDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm terrified of getting a haircut, but I know I need to. I've only had one that I truly liked, so I guess I'll go back to the same place, but I'll probably get a different girl and if she messes up I'll be so distraught =(. My friend just got a haircut (not from that place) where the hairstylist didn't listen to her at all, and I doubt even knew what fringe bangs were, because my friend specifically requested NOT to have fringe bangs. Getting a haircut is a scary experience for us =/. I can so relate this, girl. That is the exact word that I feel..distraught! Are we mental or what? I get depressed for days and feel so unattractive that nothing cheers me up.I actually dread now that I also have to go to a salon..I know exactly what I want, but am wary of the result..and I just take it so hard when they mess up my hair. Trivial? Vain? Silly? But it just really messes with my head to have my hair mucked up!!Actually, Jennifer, I think you are taking it pretty well. Are you going back to her? Or are you going to find a new stylist/salon?

Originally Posted by Elisabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif Actually, Jennifer, I think you are taking it pretty well. Are you going back to her? Or are you going to find a new stylist/salon? I might go back to the same salon, but I will ask for a different stylist if I do. I have a pretty basic haircut, so anyone who knows enough about cutting hair to get a job as a sylist (even if it just at Fantastic Sam's) *should* be able to handle a very simple layered cut...

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif have you considered it could have been how you worded it? I don't think so. When I came in I showed her my layers and I said, "Trim an inch off everything since it's been a while since my last trim. Leave the layers as they are." (Which is what I always say -- although I don't always ask for an inch -- and every other hair stylist has been able to figure out that I want the same amount trimmed off all the layers.) After cutting my hair, she turns me around and says, "There! I cut your layers shorter so you can see them more!" I don't know how you can interpret "leave the layers the same" as "make them shorter so they are more visible"!

A good beautician knows that the biggest part of the job is being able to listen/know what the client wants -- NOT assume s/he knows what's best. That totally bugs me! That's when I know to move on to a new salon.

i never really get the style i want either... last time i wanted a cut that has longer hair in the front and shorter in the back. but ofcourse it just turned out straight all around.... i also said i want layers, i hate to have a just straight same lenght everywhere... but ofcourse no layers.....

Back