Why I'll never sample makeup from displays...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I was waiting at the Estee Lauder counter for the sales associate to ring my order up, a woman and her 9 or 10 year old daughter were being helped by another associate. The associate walked the mother around to the other side of the counter, but the daughter did not follow them because she was mesmerized by a display of brand new eye shadows. At first I thought I saw a Q-tip in her hand, and I thought "Ok, technically she shouldn't be sampling the eye shadows but she's really not doing any harm since she's using a Q-tip."

Well, my sales associate returned to ask me a question, and after she went back to the register I turned to watch the little girl again. At this point, she was using her fingers to sample the eye shadows, which was bothering me. Then, before I could say anything, she licked the fingers on both of her hands, swiped the shadow off of her lids with her wet fingers AND PROCEEDED TO DIP HER FINGERS BACK INTO MORE OF THE EYE SHADOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was ready to throw a fit! Granted, from where her mother stood she could not see her daughter playing around, but I had had enough. My sales associate returned with my purchases and I promptly reported what the child was doing with the eye shadows on display. I pointed out that the mother was on the opposite side of the counter. My sales associate put a stop to what the girl was doing, and as I walked away I could see she was headed to say something to the mother. I didn't stay to see the whole show.

Now, I should mention that prior to the mother walking to the other side of the counter, she had seen her daughter playing with the makeup displays. She thought it was cute. My mother would have been slapping my hands away from that stuff! Not only that, but I'm 99% sure that she didn't say much to the child after she found out what she had done.

So just let this be a warning ladies! Unless the displays are out of the reach of children or well-guarded, DON'T SAMPLE ANY OF THE MAKEUP! Most of the time this applies to shadows, blushes, lip products, and sometimes powders. Skincare and foundations are usually not as accessible.

yuck!!!! thank godness I've only ever put them on my hand.......thanx for the warning!

yeah that's kinda gross...

but i only sample colors on my hands.. (using qtips though!)

and i will keep doing so, lol.. i meen think about the doorknobs, phones, railings, chairs, counters and everything else that you touch on a daily basis..

and that everyone else does, mabey after sneezing/coughing...

as long as my hands are washed before i eat or anything i think i'm fine...

I don't even like putting stuff on my hand. I see grown women doing stuff like that at Sephora

I always clean my hands before and after touching the makeup displays if I have to. I was in the Sephora Store in Rome last week, and there was a woman who was just doing her face up with the Chanel makeup. My mum and I were disgusted!!

thanks for telling us that. i'll make sure not to sample anything from the counters now.

OMFG! EW! GROSS! Okay, I'm thinking now I don't even want a makeover! Blech! That's ucky, pucky!

Oh that's awful!!

I hate sampling from makeup displays, unless it is a counter where the SA really guard them. When I'm at Sephora I first wipe teh product down with a tissue, then sample using a q-tip or cotton ball, on my hand, and then I use a tissue to wipe off the surface of the product I just used. Even if I didn't leave any of my cooties on it, I like to try to keep it clean for the next person.

I hate parents that dont watch their kids. Did I mention...EEEEWWWW GRRROOSSSS!!

Thank god I only test on my hand!!!!!

Gross!! Talk about a major infestation of germs =/

The makeup counters in the mall closest to where I live doesn't even have q-tips or disposable makeup applicators out and available for the testers...maybe you have to ask for them, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who have just used their hands
frown.gif

Yeah, thats pretty gross. When I sample the makeup I only use it on my hand. Thanks for the warning.

Well,this sounds so normal to me...There are no q tips no spatulas no nothing to test stuff appropriately,everybody uses fingers,lipsticks,nobody sanitazes them,not even sales ppl,NOBODY,that is gross! I can't even think of putting that stuff on my face,ewwww!

As a side note. The beauty counters usually have spray cleaners for their brushes so if you must sample, ask them to spray some on a beauty puff and wipe down the product.

That's disgusting and it irritates me to no end that parents don't keep track of their kids in stores!!!! My sisters and I were practically chained to my moms side when we went to a store like that. We didn't dare try to leave her sight or go off touching a bunch of stuff! I'm not much for sampling on my face or anything. I just don't like the thought of someone else's mouth, eyes, or whatever being all over what I would be sampling. I would rather just sample it on my hand, much more sanitary that way.

Back