Wish me luck!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, just things I had learned in class but I couldn't remember all the answers on the spot! Linked lists and arrays (I know those, lol, how can you not after this many years of school?), Big-O of algorithms, race conditions, semiphores and mutexes... I didn't realize I'd have to review my operating systems book for a first-round interview for a software development position!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Just like you said Jen, now you know what to be prepared for. Interviewing is so nerve racking.

See, this is all so you can get the job you really want. This is good practice.

I have no doubt you'll be knocking 'em dead next time

xoxoxox

Good Luck girl_geek! I wish you all the best and like you say it is good interview practice for you.Soon you will be so confident you will fly through the interviews in future.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Thanks girls! I had another interview today and it went MUCH better! I was more confident today, partly because the company I interviewed with on Tuesday kept saying they only wanted "the best of the best" which intimidated me, and of course it was my first interview so I was nervous. But for today's position I know there were a lot of people interviewing that didn't even have a Masters degree so I knew I had an edge up!
wink.gif
The interviewer even said he was "impressed" (not only at my skills but the way I answered the questions!) and that he didn't tell that to people very often! They are having the second round of interviews tomorrow so surely I will get a call tonight to schedule it! And if I make it past the second round, I will be invited for an all-day interview / site visit before finally (hopefully) getting a job offer.

This would also be a nice job because it's only a 3-hour drive away from my parents' house instead of a 10-hour drive like we are now -- we could actually visit on weekends! (Of course it would be far from hubby's family.... we can't be close to both at once, sadly!) But if I don't get this job, I have one more interview next week, and have applied to a few other places and am waiting to hear back from them...

Good luck Jennifer!! Hope everything goes just the way you want! Let us know how things turn out for ya!

Jen

Originally Posted by girl_geek Thanks girls! I had another interview today and it went MUCH better! I was more confident today, partly because the company I interviewed with on Tuesday kept saying they only wanted "the best of the best" which intimidated me, and of course it was my first interview so I was nervous. But for today's position I know there were a lot of people interviewing that didn't even have a Masters degree so I knew I had an edge up!
wink.gif
The interviewer even said he was "impressed" (not only at my skills but the way I answered the questions!) and that he didn't tell that to people very often! They are having the second round of interviews tomorrow so surely I will get a call tonight to schedule it! And if I make it past the second round, I will be invited for an all-day interview / site visit before finally (hopefully) getting a job offer.
This would also be a nice job because it's only a 3-hour drive away from my parents' house instead of a 10-hour drive like we are now -- we could actually visit on weekends! (Of course it would be far from hubby's family.... we can't be close to both at once, sadly!) But if I don't get this job, I have one more interview next week, and have applied to a few other places and am waiting to hear back from them...

Woohoo, I just found out I am invited to a site visit with this company in late November!! If I can just make it through that, I should get a job offer!!
I also interviewed with a third company today and I think the interview went fairly well, but this company is here in Indiana and we'd rather go to Missouri or Tennessee to be close to family. (The company I have a site visit with is in Missouri.) But I am still applying at Indiana companies in case my other opportunities don't work out, since these companies recruit from my school! I also have an interview with yet another Indiana company next week ... it's been pretty easy for me to get the first interview with these companies that do on-campus interviews, the trick is getting the later interviews! lol

Keep on wishing me luck ... even if one of these companies offers me a job, I probably won't know until late November or December, and we won't have much time to find an apartment and move since we have to leave our on-campus housing by December 19! Plus, some of these jobs don't start until the summer (I guess so the December and May graduates can all train together) so hubby will need to find a job in whatever city we're moving to pretty quickly! We have some money in savings but I'm not sure it would be enough for 6 months of rent and food! (Of course we could always move in with the parents for a few weeks but I'd rather move right to our new home, it would be easier!)

Fantastic! Keep us posted and we r right behind ya!

Originally Posted by girl_geek Woohoo, I just found out I am invited to a site visit with this company in late November!! If I can just make it through that, I should get a job offer!!
I also interviewed with a third company today and I think the interview went fairly well, but this company is here in Indiana and we'd rather go to Missouri or Tennessee to be close to family. (The company I have a site visit with is in Missouri.) But I am still applying at Indiana companies in case my other opportunities don't work out, since these companies recruit from my school! I also have an interview with yet another Indiana company next week ... it's been pretty easy for me to get the first interview with these companies that do on-campus interviews, the trick is getting the later interviews! lol

Keep on wishing me luck ... even if one of these companies offers me a job, I probably won't know until late November or December, and we won't have much time to find an apartment and move since we have to leave our on-campus housing by December 19! Plus, some of these jobs don't start until the summer (I guess so the December and May graduates can all train together) so hubby will need to find a job in whatever city we're moving to pretty quickly! We have some money in savings but I'm not sure it would be enough for 6 months of rent and food! (Of course we could always move in with the parents for a few weeks but I'd rather move right to our new home, it would be easier!)

I just graduated in May and I know exactly how you're feeling! Thankfully I got a job right away so I didn't have to go through too many interviews. It's all about learning to market yourself, and it gets easier and easier with practice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Originally Posted by spazbaby I just graduated in May and I know exactly how you're feeling! Thankfully I got a job right away so I didn't have to go through too many interviews. It's all about learning to market yourself, and it gets easier and easier with practice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Thanks! And congrats on finding a job yourself!
A lot of companies have on-campus interviews at about the same time, and it takes a few weeks to go through all the rounds of interviews and find out if you get an offer, so I am trying to apply to all the jobs I can to keep my options open! I would hate to only apply to only one or two companies then find out I have no job come December! :icon_eek

If I get an offer from this company in Missouri though, I am dropping out of any remaining interviews
biggrin.gif

That is awesome news Jennifer! Keep posting and let us know how it goes.
claps.gif

Back