Yearbook Makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In high school I never wore makeup, so for my senior photo all I wore was some concealer (which wasn't necessary because they blur the heck out of your face without your consent). I'm just about to graduate college and will have my senior photo taken some time in the next week.

Since i didn't have experience with this in high school, I'm wondering how much makeup I should wear, and if I should keep it looking very natural. I'm reaally tempted to wear falsies, but they sort of change the way my eyes look. Should I keep it very natural, or have some fun with it?

Also.. I want to contour my face, but I'm not very amazing at it--I'm looking for a better bronzer anyway, so is it ok if I just go into a MAC store and have them contour my face on the day I have the photos taken, and just buy the product? Do they charge you a fee for doing that, or is there a minimum purchase? Thanks!

It should be ok to just go in and have them contour your face and buy whatever they use.  It is almost like when you buy lashes.  If you buy it, we are more than willing to put it on!  You can also have your makeup done if you like, it is a 50$ charge in some places, it is depending on the state, so you can call ahead to find out, but just remember that the 50$ is redeemable in product!  So at the end of the day it is the same thing, as long as your are interested in purchasing what they use, go for it!

If you're going to do your makeup, you should go to ULTA! They only charge $30.00, and you don't have to purchase the makeup. They allow you to go around the store and choose from any brands you want and they will do it for you using those colors. At least the one near my house does? I also adore the makeup artists there. They are amazing! 

You should go natural but not too natural! I say you do a light eyeshadow, nothing dark. I know that dark eyeshadow can look bad in yearbook style pictures since they have a gloss to them. I say this because I have witnessed college graduation photos with heavy eyeshadow on and it looks bad in my opinion. They did an amazing job on their eyes, but in the pictures it doesn't look that way. So, go with a light eyeshadow that compliments your eye colors very well. Also, contouring would be good because it slims down your face and it looks really good on camera. Any bronzer, blush, looks good on camera. Don't forget to use a highlight on your cheeks! That looks amazing in pictures :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Especially when there's a light that focuses on you, it will brighten up your face. So, all in all beware of dark eyeshadows. 

Classic clean makeup is the way to go.  If you want to contour, going to a MAC counter or ULTA is an amazing idea.  These artists are very well-trained and usually super nice.  Then you won't have to worry! 

Thanks for all the advice! Unfortunately the nearest ULTA is like an hour away (I should really plan a trip sometime though!), so I'll just go to the MAC counter :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

In terms of eye makeup, should I keep it it matte, or is some shimmer ok? I use the naked palette's Sidecar for my everyday makeup, with a gold highlighter on the inner corners. I think the inner corner highlighter should probably be ok, but I don't know if all the shimmer from Sidecar will wash out my eyes bc of all the lighting in those studios.

I think you should keep it matte! 

Let me tell you why, when you have shimmer on your eyes, usually pictures like these are glossy, I don't think shimmer would look good. One of the girls that I knew took her graduation picture with a lot of shimmer, it didn't look right, but that's just my opinion! You could always ask the lady's at the MAC counter what they think would look good. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with shimmer on a day-to-day basis, but for pictures like these, meh. 

Inner corners highlight, shimmer or matte would be okay since it's just a smaller portion of your eyes. Sidecar is a nice color, you could pull it off i'm sure, just don't go too heavy. I was thinking more on the lines of the colors Virgin, Sin, and Naked. 

I just think going matte and using cool toned to nude colors are your best bet when it comes to pictures like these :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You should use a dark eyeliner, like black liquid eyeliner (preferably), or brown-black, or brown. Whichever you use, and wing it out! Since your eyeshadows wouldn't be too concentrated, your eyeliner would look really nice. Eyeliner always looks nice in pictures. The classic winged liner. 

If anything, I think your cheeks are probably the most important part when it comes to pictures like these. Don't forget to use a luminizer or highlighter, that's the most important thing that looks amazing in photos. Contouring, bronzing and/or blushing can really look good in pictures! If you're going to MAC and you want a perfect bronzer, try Gingerly. If you want a pretty blush, you should try Pinch o Peach, Desert Rose, or Pinch Me. Depends on you though! 

Also, use lipstick that matches your lip color and then usually at the center or the side you angle your face in the pictures, (because sometimes they tell you to angle your face to the left or right a bit) add some clear lip gloss to those sides, so when the camera takes the picture your lips will look glossy :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I'm just giving you my two cents :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Thanks soo much for all the advice! haha if I wear matte shadows, another plus is that my face won't be a total glitterbomb from fallout. definitely going to give myself like an hour to do my makeup in case I make mistakes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks soo much for all the advice! haha if I wear matte shadows, another plus is that my face won't be a total glitterbomb from fallout. definitely going to give myself like an hour to do my makeup in case I make mistakes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No problem! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> yeah, it's best to avoid looking like a glitterbomb when it comes to pictures like these! haha.

Congratulations on your graduation, and I hope that your makeup and pictures turn out to be wonderful! 

Latest posts

Back