You have got to be freakin' kidding me

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Annelle, especially since the last crisis, people with a certain income have become more careful as to what they spend their money on and how much. So then the question what if Mom worked part-time takes its importance. But i guess the journalists should have taken the example of a lower class family, geared towards a larger audience.

No one is bashing this family. What people are criticizing is the article, which made itself out to be about being able to live off of a smaller income. They made it sound like 'could this family be able to pay their bills and eat each month?' The family they chose was a bad example of the point they were trying to make. If they had presented it as an article about reassessing your spending habits to cut back on time at work, I think it would have been received differently. They made it out like the family was walking a fine line, when in reality they were no where near that point.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I clicked on an article with the title "Can mom afford to work only part-time?" on CNN.com (link) to see what advice they had for making it work. I was so ticked off though, because they actually had a family that made about $133K per year, who need to figure out if they can make do on a mere <<insert huge eyeroll here>> $110k per year if the mom works part time. Are you f***ing kidding me? Who on earth can't make that budget work for a family of four? Or six? Depends where they live also. I know people in Chicago who pay $15k alone just in property taxes with a decent sized house. Add in the mortgage, food, bills, school, children (especially if they go to college), cars, etc., it doesn't go far these days. Could they move to a smaller house and cheaper neighborhood..sure, but some people also prefer safety and a good neighborhood for a family. Not trying to disagree with you, but just to look at the other side of the picture. $133k a year also by the way pays a higher tax rate.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif No one is bashing this family. What people are criticizing is the article, which made itself out to be about being able to live off of a smaller income. They made it sound like 'could this family be able to pay their bills and eat each month?' The family they chose was a bad example of the point they were trying to make. If they had presented it as an article about reassessing your spending habits to cut back on time at work, I think it would have been received differently. They made it out like the family was walking a fine line, when in reality they were no where near that point. I agree, I think that if they would have chose a better example and realistic income's of families who ARE struggling, they could have made a valid point.

Well, but people who really are strugling are usually proud and would not have their faces in their papers because of issues like this.

Back