Z Palette vs Unii Palette vs Glam RX Palette: Size discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't Unii Palette go out of business? They stopped posting to FB months go and they have had a new palette coming out for over a year. I would be scared to order from them if they are still in business.

Yeah, I saw their UK FB, but that is not actually them, that is a different company. Look at the contact page, http://www.uniicosmetics.co.uk/contact_unii_palette.asp   It is actually this company, https://www.facebook.com/Distribeauty  I sent an email to the US Unii palette last week and never heard from them, so I emailed these guys. They told me they had limited stock (the color I wanted was out of stock) and didn't know if they were getting anymore. So I thought they might be liquidating or something.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Unii palette also lock into place when it's closed (instead of just a magnet to close), so you can throw it in a bag and know that it's not accidentally going to open up. The thumb grip inside is also nice to use it like an actual palette, instead of just a container that holds your shades.
The Z-Palettes only shut magnetically, but I've never had mine open accidentally in my bag!  (unlike my MAC palettes
fad.gif
)

And I was concerned about them being made out of cardboard at first, but that hasn't been a problem~

I'm bumping this because I'm so proud of my new baby!!!!

I know the Unii is tiny, but dannnnng, if you work it out, you can really get a lot of stuff in there!

I can do a full face with this palette!!!!!

~Foundation- doubles up as concealer and setting powder

~Highlight

~Bronzer/Contour

~Blush

~Eyebrows

~Eyeliner (black or brown matte eyeshadow)

~Eyeshadow

All I have to bring are brushes, mascara, lip products, and I'm good to go!

I am so freaking proud and happy, and now I don't even want to use it, hahahah!

But I'm glad I didn't get a Zpalette- in my opinion, they're more for storing makeup pans to decrease clutter. Well, I'm not a huuuge makeup collector, and what I wanted was a custom palette that I could put all my powder face products in to basically have one palette for my entire face- this did the job, and beautifully too, I might say!

So, if you are looking for storage solutions, I'd say Zpalette.

If you are looking for one or two good custom palettes that travel well, go with the Unii.

As for GlamRx, I don't know much about them besides the cute palette that came with Ipsy, but hey, it's adorbs!

Sephora just started carrying small and large, domed Z Palettes that are exclusive to them.

The small one is pricey (18!) but the larger one is the normal price. I am assuming this means either Z Palette was just quiet for a while, or possibly they were purchased by Sephora. 

I have six pro Z Palettes and four are factory blems. Two were given to me, and I bought the rest from eBay. There's a seller on there named cosmoworld2011, I got all of mine (and quite a few as gifts for others) from them, so I can say with absolute confidence that you can't even tell that they're 'blems.' I honestly don't know which of my two aren't. I'm assuming all the blems are like that, but I only know for a fact with the ones from that seller. Metallic stickers are super cheap on there too, and they work. I tried cutting pan-sized pieces out of a sheet of magnetic stuff with glue on the back, but the magnet wasn't strong, and the glue didn't hold well. Now I could hold my palettes upside down and shake them without a single pan moving. 

There's also a seller on Etsy who hand-makes empty cosmetic palettes, her store name is anothersoul.There are a few different sizes, options like having them made regularly or with magnetic wells on both sides, making them extra deep, etc. She must have amazingly steady hands, and she definitely has a good eye for design, because they look professionally made. I wish I hadn't loaded up on Z Palette before I discovered her store.

​
 ​
 ​
 ​

I have been eyeing that Etsy store for a while now, those look much nicer than the Z palettes. I own the GlamRx palette, a large Z palette, an Unii palette, and one I made myself from a Clinique GWP palette. I got my Z palette on clearance from Rockthecatwalk (I think ), and my Unii palette was purchased from Shesteals for $15.99. In fact, they have had Unii palettes on there a few times in the last year or so. Here's my own creation: Here is a photo I took that shows the size differences between the ones I already own:

@eastofthesun @chrysti198 Do you find that the pans sit firmly in your Uniis without shifting about? I read some reviews of the ones listed on Amazon where people complained of that, but it almost sounded like the reviewers had magnetized or aluminum pans that wouldn't work with the in-built magnet. I wasn't sure, though. 

I think depotting will really help me cut back on prep time and resolve the frustration I have with mismatching sized palettes taking up what little storage room I have for them. 

@eastofthesun  @chrysti198  Do you find that the pans sit firmly in your Uniis without shifting about? I read some reviews of the ones listed on Amazon where people complained of that, but it almost sounded like the reviewers had magnetized or aluminum pans that wouldn't work with the in-built magnet. I wasn't sure, though.  I think depotting will really help me cut back on prep time and resolve the frustration I have with mismatching sized palettes taking up what little storage room I have for them. 
I never have any issues with things shifting at all. Everything is held in there pretty strongly. I deported my naked palette, and have that in there along with some Smashbox shadows and two Ben Nye Powders. None of them ever come loose or even move around.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeeOmega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @eastofthesun @chrysti198 Do you find that the pans sit firmly in your Uniis without shifting about? I read some reviews of the ones listed on Amazon where people complained of that, but it almost sounded like the reviewers had magnetized or aluminum pans that wouldn't work with the in-built magnet. I wasn't sure, though. 

I think depotting will really help me cut back on prep time and resolve the frustration I have with mismatching sized palettes taking up what little storage room I have for them. 
I don't find that to be an issue. When searching for reviews before buying, honestly, I had a hard time finding reviews of the  newer version of the Unii palette (which is the only kind they are selling currently). They made a lot of changes in the design, and maybe the shifting about has something to do with the older design, because I don't have that at all. I had some aluminum pans (such as Tarte) that I just fixed with the magnetized sheet the supply and have not had problems with those either. Then again, mine is pretty much full, haha. But I feel like even if it had space I wouldn't really have that problem.

I'm really happy with it!

Back