Proactiv

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Proactiv for about 8 months, and it seemed to work in the beginning, but then it just quit. While there was mild improvement, it wasn't significant enough to keep paying the amount of money it costs. I now use cheap products like aspirin, apple cider vinegar, and baking soda, and it works wwwaaaaaaaayyy better than Proactiv ever did. But that's just me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I tried the Proactive for a very shortime, but it irritated my skin. I believe Benzoyl Peroxide is the acitive ingredient and the facial wash has little granule bits in it. The facial wash was too strong for my sensitive skin and it made my skin look worse. Some people may have had better results, but this product was not for me! Of course, everyone's skin is different.

Twirly aka Ginger

P.S. I have had great success with Serious Skin Care Products http://www.seriousskincare.com/

I used Proactiv, and it was my lifesaver! It cleared up acne that couldn't be cleared up with countless prescription topicals and antibiotics. I haven't used it in ages! I would like to try it again just to keep my face super clear! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used it for the first time when I was pregnant because my skin got really bad. I have used it off and on over the years, amongst other products and it is the only thing that keeps my skin clear!! I love it! I know it is a little expensive, but it is well worth it if it will work for you. I have even used other products that claim to be just like it, but they don't work like it. Each time I start using it again it makes my skin a little dry at first, but that goes away fairly quickly. I have also heard of some people, who have more sensitive skin, using it only in the am or in the pm. HTH.

I use it in my skincare routine.. But really, the most effective part of the "system" is the Repair Lotion. I think if you just used that and substituted the others with your own wash and toner(I dont even use the toner) it would work fairly well.

Major con is the price, for sure.

ProActiv was the worst product I ever used on my skin! It actaully made it worse. I was suffering from mild acne and wanted a product to get rid of small breakouts and maintain a clear complexion. I purchased ProActiv and was disappointed to find it made my skin breakout worse. It also caused excessive peeling, flaking and redness. Not mild, but severe. My face became raw and uncomfortable. I used it for about 4 months and finally gave up. I highly recommend Differin Gel as an acne treatment. It has really changed my face....for the better. It is very mild and I saw immediate results. It is prescription, so see a derm and ask for it!

If your skin is superduper bad, you might actually like it. I foudn that other people and myself included finded that the cons with proactiv is

a.) you have to continue using it or your face will break out again

b.) it gets too drying and harsh for your face

c.) both a &b

I also used Proactiv. It worked on me for about 5-6 mos then abruptly quit. I eventually had to go on Accutane and that stuff is AMAZING! Kicked the acne right out of my system...

BTW hun, I am going to move this thread over to the skincare forum since it is more of a skin issue rather than a makeup one...

Proactiv worked for a bit for me, but made my skin super dry (yet oily at the same time). Then it just stopped working. One thing that concerned me is the harshness of the Benzoyl Peroxide (not good to use long term) and it has a lot of crap in it (I'm looking at my old bottle of it)..PEG-100, methlyparaben, proplyparaben, and imadazodlidnyl urea..UREA! Isn't that pee? Little Lisa just posted a thread on that!!

I've been trying a more natural approach, like GraceGirl..I use Apple Cider Vinegar topically and I drink it (to cleanse from the inside out) and drink lots of water during the day. So far, so good. I've also heard that Evening Primrose Oil taken internally, can help hormonal imbalances...which I think is my problem, at least one of them. Ha ha. Anyway, I just went out and bought that today...let you know how it goes.

Good luck, sweetie!

Me personally.........I have been using Pro Activ for years and it has definitely worked wonders for my skin. My skin has came such a long way to get where it is today.....clear.........yes, I do agree that the cons of using Pro Activ is that you have to continue to use it because if you start and then stop, you might be in for a rude awakening. Pro Activ Products are very reasonable now, the prices has dropped from how much it used to cost. When I first started using Pro Activ, it used to be $50.00 every other month, but now the cost is split in half, costing only $25.00 every other month. So many celebrities have used this product from Jessica Simpson, P. Diddy, Alisha Keys and so many more people. I guess it depends on your skin in general because everyone skin type is different. Some people had great results and others not so great, so it just depends on YOU !!!

for me, proactiv was just a waste of time and money. didn't do anything for my skin that any regular over the counter acne med couldn't do.

This has probably been asked before, but I don't know how to find the thread, but is Pro Activ all that people say it's cracked up to be???

It's a really nice product but no product is perfect for ALL people. For me, cleared me up but I was SOOOO dry I felt like I had skin of 100 yr old woman. I am on a different regimen now and so far, so good...I still have the Proactive in case of a disaster. If you buy it from the web site, there's a money back gaurantee, thats why I gave it a shot.

I used to use the line several years ago and it worked well but for some reason it just stopped working. I think my fav of the line was the repairing lotion. I just hated the clothing and towels I ruined from it though. I found also it was pretty pricey and there was better stuff out there for me.

Thanks everyone for the input,and thanks Charmaine for the thread, I don't know how one searches for it:icon_redf...

Just an additional follow up...it works for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't get big "explosions" at all anymore (I used to be covered it lots of zits..omg how did I walk around in public?!).

I recommend that you start the system off slowly, otherwise your skin will get very dry when you start.

I tried it last summer, worked for a few months and then it just stopped working. Took a break from it for about 2 months and returned and so far so good. The only thing is that it is 3 steps and somewhat of a hassle. I also agree that it is a bit pricey, bottles are somewhat small. THere are many other great products out there, sometimes it's just really trial and error.

Back