Help! Major hair dilemma! Yellow hair!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!! I used a lightening cream for my hair from the Schwarzkopf Nordic colours range - I used the lightest one because my hair is already pretty light anyway. Anyhow, my hair is blonde but it's got quite a yellow tinge to it! What do I do to get rid of it? My mum has suggested a toner from Wella but I'm not sure which shade to get - do I get a purple based toner (supposed to tone down brassiness/yellow) or a beige based toner? My hair is really porous so I'm scared that if I do use a purple based toner that it'll go really blue/purple??? It looks stupid!

Either that or would it be safe to a mousse colour that washes out in 6 washes?? I've gotta go to work tomorrow too which is going to be well embarressing!

I'm not sure what to tell you; I really don't wanna give you wrong info. I can tell you that I hope Janelle logs on soon and sees this so you can get fixed up by work tomorrow.

well I've been looking over the Garnier Nutrisse permanent colours - thought this would be a little more nourishing for my hair! I've decided to get Light Beige blonde colour for my hair so fingers crossed it'll work!

Sorry! I'm here! lol (Can't log on at work really anymore :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) Have you tried Clairol shimmerlights shampoo? It's violet - but it helps tone down brassiness. If you want to go with another color, I would try the new L'Oreal Natural Match colors... try one of the cool blondes.... my friend used it and it help tone it down a bit. HTH!

I know how bad you feel, my hair went yellowish when my mum coloured it last week. I had to go to the hairdressers and she put a semi-permanent on top... guess I'm going to have to live with it till the stupid bleach grows out :eusa_wall:.

Hi Janelle no worries I completely understand about not being able to log on!

We don't have the L'Oreal Natural Match over in the UK unfortunately!

I thought if I get a Garner Nutrisse colour then it might be less harsh on my hair. Everyone keeps telling me to get a purple toned toner or colour like Ash Blond but the last time I used an ash colour my hair turned purple it was awful!

I thought that as I've used a lightening creme that using a colour like Light beige blonde would be ok - fingers crossed it will be!

I´ve had this problem twice so far...yellowish hair after getting it highlighted, especially near the roots.

my stylist recommended L`Oreal Professionel "Gloss Protect System" shampoo in "Silver". it´s actually purple though, and my hair got back to looking NORMAL blonde in like a a week. I guess the results depend on what condition your hair is in.

my stylist also said if you notice your hair getting ashy then it´s time to stop using it. HTH!

try keeping the ash blonde on your hair just for a minute or so and mix it with a lot of water, so there won't be much dye. it worked for me!

well I went to Boots today and avoided all beige blonde tones (would turn it pinky) and all Ash tones (would turn it blue again) and got a Garnier Nutrisse that says "Light Blonde" so I hope it is a neutral colour. It's actually a darker colour than what my hair is now so I won't actually be stripping the colour just putting a darker shade on it.

I also got a couple of toners in light ash blonde - the wash in wash out ones - just in case it goes a blue-y colour.

My Goodness! what a nightmare!

I'm considering going brunette if this doesnt work out!!! Just don't know if it will suit me! Aargh!

well I've managed to kinda sort the dilemma! I got a light blonde colour which took down the brightness and made it look like it was actually blonde then applied a light ash blonde toner to tone down the brassiness. Its actually looking better but it's still a bit too bright - I'm thinking of going brunette (see my other thread!) but I don't know if I dare do it. I've always been a blonde and I'm scared I won't be attractive to men and stuff as a brunette (just me personally - not other brunettes lol!)

Thats exactly why I feel better as a blonde, i think i fade into the background as a brunette haha

Glad its not just me.

lol Sarah!! I just think it suits me as a blonde.

Ok here are a few pictures of how my hair was yesterday before I salvaged it and after I'd managed to sort it out.

picture 1 and 2 are before and 3 and 4 are after!

Aww thanks Andrea! I'm not too keen as it's a bit white and I feel a bit silly! lol! On my other thread I've said I'm going to go more golden blonde, bit more natural if you know what I mean?!

As Andrea said you did a great job Vanessa. I love your colour, im so jealous I'd love to be able to pull of blonde hair like that

ha ha thanks Sarah! I think I look well dodgy! Like Chantelle gone wrong! I've decided to go for something a bit more toned down and that will be easier to keep up with like this. If I keep it this blonde I'll look like an albino on holiday cos in the sun my eyebrows and eyelashes go really blonde! lol! Plus it's bound to get a bit more sunkissed in the sun anyway I reckon

Looks good Vanessa! I would wait a few weeks for it to oxidize before doing anything else to it though...

Back