Should you change your shampoo often?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't remember where I heard this but I thought that you should have at least two different shampoo's in your shower. You're suppose to switch from one brand to another every so often so you don't get buildup or something. Is this true? I've always had a few different shampoos but sometimes I stick with one kind for a while and then finally switch to a different brand. How often should you change your brand or certain line you're using? I hate these myths that you don't know if it's fact or not. I'm told every myth has some truth to it no matter how little!

I change shampoos and conditioners every so often not because of build up but more because I feel like it isn't working as well. If you do get build up, I recommend getting a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build up.

I have heard that your hair gets "used to" to whatever shampoo or conditioner that you are using regularly. I am not sure I believe that but that does not stop me from rotating shampoos and conditioners every few days....

ive been using the same kind of shampoo (its a clarifiying one cause my hair is oily) for god like i think i was 14 or 15. it works for me perfectlly still too (im 21 now).

conditioner i have 2 kinds: one for body and a moisturizing one (depends on how my hair is that day is what i use).

I try to switch my shamoo& conditioner up pretty often. I get bored and always want to try something new. It's good for your hair, so there's less buildup. Like the other said, using a clarifying shampoo (1x per week at least) will remove buildup.
smile.gif

Thanks I'm glad I'm not the only one who changes shampoo often! What are some good clarifying shampoo's?

a good clarifying shampoo is the one for oily scalp by TRESamme i live in a boarding house (my last year) and so many japanese/chinese girls use it! they say it even helps prevent build up!

I try to switch out my shampoos often. If I don't I get a lot of buildup. Also, my hair will get too used to one shampoo and that shampoo will not work in getting my hair clean. It also dries my hair out to use the same shampoo for too long.

I've heard that myself, but I've never really worried about it. I do the same thing Marisol said she does, I'll switch out every here or there because I don't feel as though the shampoo/conditioner I'm using ATM is working so well... I generally stick with Garnier Fructis or TRESemme though... I think TRESemme is a goner for definitely though... My hair hasn't been doing well on it. So far, after only a few washes, I'm lovin' the HSH though
wink.gif

I seem to get the same results from continued use... I have another brand (S-Factor) because I heard it was good & you know me... I have to try it! lol For a clarifying, I have Suave and Paul Mitchell Shampoo 2

I feel dense cause at 37 I only have one type of shampoo and conditioner at home. Guess I need to get a clarifying shampoo to get rid of buildup!

i have 4 or 5 in my shower so i can change them, depending on how my hair feels. I also have one for chlorine and salt water, since im usually in the water 3-4 times a week

I love switching up S/C sets, but have a few favs I go through. I've got a couple Tresseme sets, Bath & Body works sets, and a couple VS sets. I've recently added an Aussie and Suave set to the mix, so we'll see how they work.

I love just switching for the scents, and my hair does always feel 'New' after I use a new set, so I could switch as often as everyday between sets. I'm a 'Variety' type of girl
lol.gif
!

*Edit to add* I also rotate in both Mane & Tail sets as well to my routine, they're both fantastic sets!!

Back