Liquid VS Pencil Eyeliner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had always used pencil eyeliner (Rimmel Khol black) since I was a novice. I know that liquid eyeliner was not recommended for beginners.

But now I feel like maybe I can give it a try. I have never used liquid eyeliner before. I heard that maybellene is good for first time users.

What are the pros and cons for using liquid and pencil eyeliner?? And which do you prefer???

sure give it a go, heck if you have a eyeliner brush you can use your shadows as a liner , wet the brush w/ water and get a good thick consistency and go for it. thats what i mainly did up until i discovered gel liners. the gel ones are really nice and soo very easy to apply! good luck!

ah thank you!! Eyeliner brush are like eyeshadow brush but smaller right??? Would you recommend an eyeliner brush?

Tomorrow Im getting some brushes from body shop cos they have offers. Im so excited!!

Do you think I should get a smudger, line softener as well??

Im planning to get:

Retractable blusher, retractable lipstick applicator/concealer (I hate wearing lipstick then using my lipgloss applicator over it, it dirties my lipgloss), eyeshadow blender brush, eyeshadow slanted brush, and eyeshadow brush.

I use Revlon colorstay liquid on my upper everyday and love it! I can only use a pencil on my lower though (I am not brave enough to even try)!

Liquid liner is something I had to really play with to figure the best way for me to use it.

I cant wait to get some liquid eyeliner to experiment with. I use pencil alot, I outline my entire eye, then I use a line softener on the tip of one of my eyeliner to smudge the eyeliner to make it look less harsh.

My eyelashes are very invisible... grr, but using eyeliner and mascara makes me look more wide awake.

You can wet the tip of a line softener to create dramatic looks. Im thinking of getting a line softener brush =D

why don't you try mac fluidlines? you might really like using either gel or liquid eyeliners now instead because the line is so much more defined than most people, or me anyway, can get from a pencil. Plus, mac fluidlines last til you wash them off ! Can be tricky to apply at first but doesn't take long to perfect it.

For e/s as a liner, I use an angled brush, apply really slowly almost right into my lashes. Then I take any old (small, firmer) eyeshadow brush and smudge it out, gives a bit of smokiness without a lot of effort

I prefer pencil just because I'd definitely screw up liquid! I recommend as a first-time, finding a liquid liner that has a felt tip (instead of the long brush hairs). If you get one with the thin brush, then I've heard snipping the hairs to make them shorter helps.

I agree with Becka. Fluidlines are ideal for me, the perfect compromise between pencil and liquid. They have the staying power and the "drama" of liquid liners, but are much easier to apply.

Im going to look out for the Mac fluidlines

Mac makeup are expensive arent they? What other makeup from their range would you recommend?

Are their brushes any good?

Thanks for all your comments!! Much appreciated xxx

I have tried liquid liners a couple times, but I can't get the hang of it. I've never had a really steady hand, and I can't get a thin line to look right with liquid.

I normally stick with a regular pencil liner or an e/s liner. I actually found an eyeliner brush from avon, it's really good. it is a very flat brush and is awesome when you want to get really close to the lash line. I normally use a wet eyeshadow with the eyeliner brush. hope this helps, if you have a steady hand, go for the liquid.

I think I might invest in a cheap liquid eyeliner to see how it goes, then if I like the it I will get Mac fluidlines.

I think I might reserve liquid eyeliner for special occasions when I want to have a more dramatic look compared to my normal daily makeup.

What do you guys think?

Does liquid eyeliner give you a more dramtic look?

When I used pencil eyeliner, I use a line softener to smudge it so it wont look too harsh.

i hightlighted the one you need for using your shadow as a liner. i like all three ways - i like to use shadow as a liner when i'm doing a smoky eye. i love my gel liners for percision and control. i love liquid liner for the intensity and straight diva, bling!

i use a traditional eye liner brush for the gel and liquid, and the small angle brush for wet/dry shadows. hope this helps!

thank you, I never knew you can use eyeshadow as a liner.

I love the smokey eye look, but I can never do it... I am oriental, and find it difficult to pull off.

I like them both.

If I want a softer, smokier line I reach for the pencil. If I want a sharper, more defined line I tend to reach for the liquid liner.

Im going to get liquid eyeliner =P

I havent tried it before, would be nice to see what I can do with it hehe

ty for your input! xxx

Like Aquilah said, the liquid liners with the felt tip would be good for a beginner.

MAC fluidlines cost about $14.50 and they last a loooooong time. I use mine daily and have barely made a dent in it! I think they might take a little more practice than the felt tip, but to me, they are well worth the investment.

I use liquid liner. I get a better dramatic look with it. Pencil for me takes awhile to do, tis why I own few pencils.

Back