Bare Minerals = ITCH!!!!!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently decided to try Bare Minerals for the second time. The first time I tried it was about 4 years ago. I remember liking it but not being too incredibly impressed. I went back to dept. store liquid foundations. (Note: I have very oily skin so Bare Minerals really appealed to me.)

The mineral makeup raves from this website made me want to try Bare Minerals again. A few people that I used to work with were also raving about Bare Minerals. So I went to Ulta and stupidly dropped $100 on foundation, mineral veil, warm radiance, hint blush, and summer bisque multitasking minerals.

Let me tell you, my skin starts itching the second this stuff touches my face. I thought maybe I should try a moisturizer underneath - hoping it would prevent the itch - even though my skin hates moisturizers. This was no help and possibly made the itch even worse. I know I didn't have problems with itching the first time I tried Bare Minerals. This morning I gave it another go and my skin was itching so bad that I literally RAN to the bathroom to wash it all off. My skin continued to itch - even after washing - until I put on some liquid foundation.

Since it's obvious that I can't use this stuff, I thought I'd post about my experience. I have been told that there is mica in Bare Minerals products and that may be contributing to the itch. I don't care what it is - just angry that I've wasted $100!

I think it's the bismuth that's making u itch. Sorri it didn't work .. .but u can still return it

I agree w/LVA. I tried BE as my first mineral makeup and my skin itched like crazy too. The bismuth did it to me. I have since tried about 10-12 other brands and have no issues.

Try some of the other ones out there. I think you'll like them better. Order the samples. They are a great way to start.

Good luck!

Happy New Year!!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that happened! Definitely try to return in, you shouldn't be out $100 when their product is causing the problem. Bare Minerals seems to cause problems for a lot of women. On me it just looked heavy and I felt like it emphasized my pores. Signature Minerals looked much better on me (and felt better too), but I haven't tried many MMUs yet.

I've known a lot of people who struggle with the BE infamous itch. Take a look at some of the other brands if you are interested in getting some makeup with better oil control than liquid foundation. For example look at at Aubrey Nicole or Oceanmist. Both have kaolin clay which has helped my oily areas unbelievably.

Oh...I didn't think Ulta would let me return makeup that has been opened. I will have to dig out the receipt!

I will have to investigate bismuth and some of the other ingredients in these products. All I know is that it was brutal!

I love clay masks so I will have to check out these brands.

I didn't realize that itching was such a common problem with Bare Minerals. At least I know that I'm not some sort of freak! I am sorry to hear that so many people have had this problem because that was the worst itch I've ever had (second to chicken pox).

Good news - I just found my receipt and they allow returns within 60 days. It has only been a little over 30 days. Ulta is right near where I work so if I don't take it back tomorrow I'll return it on my lunch hour one day. That's $104.86 back in my pocket!

i work at ulta..they will let u return it as long as u have the receipt or u used ur Ulta club card

Sorry it didn't work for you. There are so many better and more affordable MMU out there. You should try samples from them. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm sorry BE didn't work out for you.. but I'm sure glad you can get your money back!!!

There are various brands of MMU that doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride, so dont give up!!! Let us know if you try other ones!

i have the same problem with BE and i'm sure it's not just the bismuth because i've used other MMU's with bismuth (like Urban Decay) and feel perfectly comfortable with it... there's something seriously wrong with BE's formulation and maybe it's a good thing because it's what's making the online MMU business's prosper because people switch from BE to other brands offered only online.

Thanks for the info! I have my receipt and I used my club card so I'm good. I'll probably end up turning around and spending the $100 on other stuff there. I want more Urban Decay eye shadows.

When I first started using MMU I also started off with BM. The strange thing was that I didn't start to react to the Bismuth until about three months or so into wearing it. When I joined MUT I was so relieved to learn about the Bismuth and that it wasn't just me, now I'm using MMU without any Bismuth and my face is much happier :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm sorry you had such a bad itch but at least now you know what it was that caused it and you can stay away from it from now on!!!

I'm sorry to hear that bareMinerals didn't work for you! I'm glad you are able to rerturn it. On the other hand, bareMinerals works miracles for me! Everyone's skin is different, so it really depends on the person using it. I'm just trying to add a postive note about bareMinerals in this topic because bareMinerals does work great for some people.

I suffered from the infamous itch myself. The thing that sucks is BM sits there in their infomercials and such saying how great it is for your skin, yadda yadda yadda, but then they don't even have any warning about the bismuth and the vast majority don't even realize what bismuth is until we've dropped $100 on a product. Like someone else said, that's why everyday minerals and other online mineral makeup sellers are booming.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Every MMU that I've tried has made me itch, except for Urban Decay Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup, but that made be break out!

Bah...I really want to like MMU, but it seems like my skin hates it!

Im sorry Bare Escentuals didnt work out for you , but like others have stated there are better ones out there.

I cant use BE either or signature minerals , Signature makes me itch and it supposedly has the same ingrediants as EDM which I wear with no problem.So weird.

Back