-->

Welcome Guest to MakeupTalk

Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others in our MakeupTalk Forums
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get notification & email updates
  • Get your personal profile page and make new friends in our Community
  • Submit your reviews about Makeup Products and get feedback from other users
  • Send personal messages to other members

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

What cleanser to use with Retin-A Micro?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 34 OFFLINE   makeupchicky

makeupchicky

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
Reviews

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hi everyone! I'm currently using retin-a micro 0.04%...i am using Purpose facial cleanser with it, along with an oil free moisturizer. is anyone using retin-a micro as well? i notice that it makes my skin really dry and it's peeling a lot so i dont' want to use a strong cleanser. if anyone is using this, can you let me know which facial cleanser you're using along with it? thanks!
A wise man once said:

"The more time you spend with the wrong person, the less time you have to spend with the right one..."

#Post 2 of 34 OFFLINE   Jesskaa

Jesskaa

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts
  • Joined 15-November 06
Reviews

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

im using it too.. and my derm, told to use cetaphil products, I haven't hade a problem with it. I have combo skin.

#Post 3 of 34 OFFLINE   lovelyrose

lovelyrose

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 02-June 06
Reviews

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

I use Retin a micro too...and I use cetaphil or purpose according to what I feel like. The dryness only lasts for a few days, then your skin will stop flaking.

#Post 4 of 34 OFFLINE   makeupchicky

makeupchicky

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
Reviews

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

thanks girls! yeah, i noticed the dryness and peeling isn't too bad anymore. it's just that i started breaking out a litte after some clearing (could be stress) but did you guys experience something similar?
A wise man once said:

"The more time you spend with the wrong person, the less time you have to spend with the right one..."

#Post 5 of 34 OFFLINE   Lauren

Lauren

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06
Reviews

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

Some gentle ones I'd recommend are Cetaphil Gentle Wash and Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

#Post 6 of 34 OFFLINE   makeupchicky

makeupchicky

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Joined 29-October 06
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:39 AM

I do the same thing too. I use Purpose morning and night...at night, I apply Retin-A micro after I wash my face, then apply my moisturizer after 20-30 minutes. The Retin-A was working really well, but then i'm in my 5th week and i'm starting to breakout again...and i can't understand why because i didn't change my regimen...:frown:
A wise man once said:

#Post 7 of 34 OFFLINE   DC-Cutie

DC-Cutie

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 15-July 06
Reviews

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

I'm using Retin-A micor, with Desert Essence facewash. Then I use emu or jojoba oil as a moisturizer at night. Splash face with water in the morning and use SPF65 moisturizer
33 years old/African American/Golden Brown Skin Bobbi Brown (6.5)

#Post 8 of 34 OFFLINE   cathyx2

cathyx2

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 26-January 07
Reviews

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

I use Cetaphil for oily skin. It works well and does not dry out my face.

#Post 9 of 34 OFFLINE   singinmom

singinmom

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 27-March 06
Reviews

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

I've read somewhere that you are supposed to wait 30 minutes after washing your face before you put on the Retin A. Aveeno Ultra Calming face wash may help.

#Post 10 of 34 OFFLINE   Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts
  • Joined 24-May 06
Reviews

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

I use a Canadian version of Retin A. Make sure you wait at least 20 minutes after washing face, before applying Retin A. Also, make sure the moisturizer is not going to decrease the effectiveness. Ask the pharmacist or doctor that prescribed, just to be sure. The Retin A doesn't work on the cystic break outs I get. I use Neo Medrol, a prescription medication for those. The combination of Retin A and Neo Medrol is quite effecive for my skin. As per original question, Cetaphyl is a great cleanser and Cetaphly with baking soda makes a good scrub.

#Post 11 of 34 OFFLINE   blonde65

blonde65

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined 26-November 06
Reviews

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

When I used Retin-A I used Cetaphil too. I don't think you can go wrong with this stuff. They don't sell it over here so I buy it when I go to the States, good job it lasts a long time!

#Post 12 of 34 OFFLINE   speerrituall1

speerrituall1

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Joined 08-April 05
Reviews

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

My derm told me to use Aveeno with RetinA
Live, Love, Laugh!

#Post 13 of 34 OFFLINE   monniej

monniej

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05
Reviews

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

which aveeno product is this and how is it working for you?

#Post 14 of 34 OFFLINE   cherklop

cherklop

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 27-February 07
Reviews

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:43 PM

I love purity made simple by philosophy and paula's choice one step cleanser--both very non irritating non drying!

#Post 15 of 34 OFFLINE   Salope

Salope

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Joined 09-September 05
Reviews

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

I also use Retin A Micro and after reading up on it extensively, here are the important things I've found: - use only a pea sized amount on the face. Dryness will occur initially but should subside. If dryness persists, lessen use to every other day or every few days. Up your dosage as your skin allows. - apply the product to a completely dry and clean face. Wait 20 minutes after washing. - if dryness persists, apply moisturizer 20 minutes after application. 20 minutes seems to be the magic number with Retin-A. - make sure to use SPF to protect the newly generated skin and help reduce dryness. The sun dries out skin. I use a cetpaphil bar of soap and/or La Roche Posay gel cleanser. I've had no problems with these. I normally have combo skin but with Retin-A, I've noticed dryness ins my nose and chin which has never been an issue. I moisturize morning and night now, and sometimes in between. How long before the users here saw a marked difference in their skin?

#Post 16 of 34 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

I am using Retin-A Micro and hate the fact that I need to wait 30 min's. Are you sure you don't need to? May I ask how you know this? Also, have you heard that some moisturizers make Retin-A less effective? FYI, I am using the Retin-A Micro for anti-aging, NOT acne.

#Post 17 of 34 OFFLINE   SkinCareJunky

SkinCareJunky

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05
Reviews

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

My derm had told me that I don't need to wait 30 minutes after washing to apply Retin A Micro. However, I would need to wait with the regular Retin A. Though..I'm not sure why..

#Post 18 of 34 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

I think I heard somewhere that the more expensive, non-generic ones (like Retin-A Micro) are more emollient (that's why they cost more) so they are less likely to cause irritation. So I think you don't need to wait until your skin is 100% dry.

#Post 19 of 34 OFFLINE   pinkeeh

pinkeeh

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 25-May 06
Reviews

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

I use Cetaphil because it's so gentle

#Post 20 of 34 OFFLINE   CassBH

CassBH

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 10-June 05
Reviews

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Has anyone tried Cera Ve yet? Similar consistency to Cetaphil but I think it might be even gentler! Try it out. You can get it at Walgreen's.