What cleanser to use with Retin-A Micro?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not have to wait 30 minutes after you wash your face to apply retin A. You have to wait 30 minutes after you apply the retina A to use any additional products like a moisturizer.

In reference to a cleanser I would go with something organic (certified) with no chemicals or synthetics and use a soothing line. That goes for your moisturizer as well. Also, make sure you are using a sunscreen. Retin A will make your skin more sensitive and likely to burn.

Can I ask where you got that information? I am curious, only because all of the women I know who use Retin-A were told by their dermatologist that they should wait 15-30 minutes after washing to apply Retin-A. On the other hand, they were not given any specific instructions regarding waiting to use a moisturizer.

thanks!

I read the instruction insert that came with my prescription from the company.

If you don't have yours see if you can get one from the pharmacy (or talk to the pharmacist). Then you can read all the instructions directly from the manufacturer. That would be the best way to get accurate info.

I think each formula of Retin A is different. I did read the one that came with my RetinA Micro .04% and it did say to wait 15-30 minutes after washing face. Could be maybe you are using a different formula/brand name?

for those of you who use retin a, how long did it take till your skin cleared up. ive been on it since the beginning of january, and im still breaking out, and its not like one pimple here one there. so i am wondering if this product isnt good for my skin. i used the use the 3step system for oily skin by almay which worked good before using RAM, but then it just seemed like it stopped working. should i still keep using retin a, or should i try something else? what do yall think is a really good acne cleaner, treatment etc.? i was thinking maybe clinque, my friend swears by it, or proactiv but ive heard so many mixed reviews. plus i would rather something i can pick up a store rather than ordering online. Thx in advance

i have the emergency gel lotion by clinique and the bar of soap, but i was wondering if theres any other products that work really well together.

i am just so sick of having pimples all over my face. GRRR

I have been using Stievaa Vitamin A acid gel - Canada'a version of Retin A for close to 20 years. The active ingredient is Tretinoin.

I find that Stievaa is really good for controlling black and white heads. But I still get the occasional cystic acne break out. I use Neo Medrol - topical acne medication, requires a prescription - to control the cystic break outs.

The tretinoin also helps to exfoliate my skin because it helps to create new cells more frequently then if I were not using the Stievaa. As well, it helps to stimulate collagen so my skin has really healthy look.

You have only been on Retin A for 8 weeks. It is not a miracle drug - may take a long time before results are seen.

You need to talk to your dermatologist and follow their recommendations for a skin care routine. A lot of over the counter products can actually decrease the effectiveness of Retin A.

Or speak to a pharmacist as they are quite knowledgeable about drug and over the counter interactions.

definitly check with your Derm! They would know whats best for your skin if this isn't working out... Products don't all necessarily work for everyone the same.

I personally was blessed.. when i was in high school and i got retin..the very next morning all my bumps were gone! I couldn't belive it...

it was a miracle drug for me...and there was no peeling!

My friends were also in disbelief.. i thought it was the Acne GODs giving me a break..lol

As i got older when i was realy stressed about breaking my leg, i tried proactive to calm my irractic skin...and it worked for like a week...but then it was bad!

but now i use benzoyl peroxide Perscribed by my derm ( who actually appears on QVC to talk abotu Proactive...but alas..she knows i won't go back and doesn't push me)

In the meantime..lay off your skin...don't stress too much about it or you will make it worse!

Differin works really well if you find the retin a isn't giving you the results you want. However, you really need to give it more time first as it takes awhile for results especially if the acne was more severe.

Merging this thread with the other similar thread to avoid dupes. Thanks! :g:

OK, I need to ask...are you a dermatologist??? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> You seem to know your stuff! Can I ask where you got the info about why you do NOT need to wait to apply Retin-A Micro after washing the face but you DO need to wait when using regular Retin-A? I am not doubting that you are right, as I remember hearing something similar. In fact, I was told this is why Retin-A Micro is more expensive than the generic versions, because it is milder and has a more effective delivery system. Just curious where you found this good info :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, for those who are interested, I found that even "gentle" cleansers like Cetaphil and CeraVe were making my skin feel dry and tight before applying my Retin-A. So yesterday I bought an organic, natural cleanser in my health food store (no soap, no sodium laureth sulfates) and I have to tell you, I love it! It only cost $7. Here is a link if you want to check it out:

derma e Bodycare Products

I really like this stuff, especially for this drying time of year!

Cass

Sorry, just checked out this link and I realize that it takes you to the home page. The name of the specific cleanser I am talking about is the Lemon Aloe Cleansing Cream (comes in a jar). I will be recommending this to clients!

I'm going to join the gang and say cetaphil would work brilliantly. It's my favourite; I use it everytime I wash my face, and after a few quick splashes of water and blotting dry with a face-towel, I can put on my acne medicine straightaway! But, I'm just starting to experiment with some LUSH products in the evenings, so my cetaphil will be relegated to just the mornings for a while...

I see that this is an older thread, but I'll add my 2 cents in case anyone is interested.

I'm 53 and use Retin A for anti-aging, not acne.  I started using it when it first came out about 25 years ago.  I first started using it for acne, then stopped using it for a few years and have used it on and off for anti-aging ever since.

This might sound weird, but I use organic olive oil to cleanse my face and remove my makeup.  I have found that this really combats the dryness and irritation I get with Retin-A.  My skin is now very soft and has never looked better.

First I massage the olive oil into my skin and then let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then I tissue it off.  I usually follow this by gently wiping my face with a warm, wet face cloth.  If its a Retin-A night, I wait half an hour before applying the Retin-A.  If its not a Retin-A night, I apply my moisturizer while my skin is slightly damp.  In the mornings I sometimes use Acure Organics facial scrub or a gently cream cleanser or sometimes just plain water.

I started using this method of cleansing after a lot of trial and error.  My skin would become so dry it was actually crusty and I would have to stop the Retin-A and then start over again a couple months later.  I haven't had this problem since using the olive oil.

My dermatologist tells me to keep doing what I'm doing, and people always remark on how radiant and luminous my skin is.  I'm 53 years old and I have no wrinkles.

Its very important to wait the half hour after washing your face before applying the Retin-A.  At one point I used to mix my Retin-A with a basic face cream, but found my skin got much dryer and irritated.  Retin-A and water is irritating, and there is water in face creams.  If I want to use a moisturizer with my Retin-A, I now apply my Retin-A first, then wait half an hour for it to absorb completely and then apply my moisturizer.  I find this to be much less irritating.  I usually just use the Retin-A alone however.

I have other uses for the olive oil as well.  About once a month, I saturate my hair with it and leave it on overnight.  I put a towel over my pillow when I do this to protect my pillow.  In the winter when my skin is very dry, I will rub the oil into my legs before getting in the shower and it really helps to combat dryness.  I sometimes rub a little into my skin after my shower as well, but it can be oily so if I do this I use a towel to buff off the excess.  I just do this on my legs and sometimes my arms, not my entire body.   It makes my skin very soft and glowy.

Back