Tell me About Your Wedding

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wes and I wanted to elope. We had 2 friends chosen to be our witnesses and we were going to go to the town hall in Toronto to get hitched.

But then we decided to tell his parents about it, and even though they were not supportive at first, they wanted to have a bigger wedding for us once they accepted it.

We gave in and had a bigger wedding at a beautiful United Church in Toronto. The church truly was beautiful. We had the reception in the church hall in the basement of the church, it was really nice.

My inlaws wanted to spend 1100$ on catering, but we asked them to give us that money towards our first apartment instead. I wanted to have a very simple pot-luck buffet, and that's what we had.

I got my dress from the Goodwill, and bought the bridesmaids dressed from a store that was shutting down. They were black lace halter style dresses, with an angled hem. I paid 8$ each for them.

keehillqp2.jpg

Our first dance was to Nothing Else Matters by Metallica.

keewesfirstdancekd4.jpg

We had no honeymoon, but the wedding was lovely. In total, including out wedding liscence, our rings (I inherited my grandma's wedding band and his was a cheap one from sears) and everything else, it cost about 1000$.

This was a perfect wedding for us, truly. Neither of us felt the need for a big expensive wedding, to us, it was about our marriage, not a perfect wedding. We went with the flow and had no bad luck at all.

To this day, I only have two regrets about the wedding: Not having someone good to take picstures ( i have very few of them).

And until the morning of the wedding I was going to wear my knee high laceup combat boots, under that big pouffy dress, but my mother in law bought be a pair of cinderella type plastic shoes that killed my feet and I wore them instead.
frown.gif

Oh, also, we got married in Toronto so most of my family could not be there. My grandma used to make wedding cakes for a living and as a little girl I always dreamed of her making one for me. The one she made for my mom's wedding had 13 layers! But she could not be there, so I did not want a cake at all. Wes's cousin insisted on making one for me, and I let her, but I did not want it at all!

Anyway, I guess my wedding is proof that you dont' have to spend alot to have a damn near perfect wedding! My dress, for example, is really my dream dress and I didn't have to pay a bundle for it
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with spending a bundle if you have it!!
biggrin.gif
I just wouldn't put myself thousands of dollars in dept for a wedding, OR put it off so i can save for it. For me and Wes, we just don't have that kind of money, and all that money could be put to much better use (like the apartment instead of catering)
smile.gif

I'm not married and not in any sort of relationship.

But I'm glad you had your wedding the way you wanted to and were able to enjoy it!
smile.gif

My wedding was crazy. Me and Eric started dating in March, got engaged in September, and got married in December. Eric's mom paid for almost everything except for a few things I got from Oriental Trading and my dress.

Planning was HELL because I had to collobarate with the mother in law. UGH, the beginning of the end of our friendship!

My favorite color is pink, so thats what everything was based on. My daddy walked me down the aisle while I was carrying Alana, it was sooo sweet. I speant sooo much time online finding different ceremonies that I mixed up together to make it special to us. Eric and his boys wore jeans and button ups (Eric's was pink with a white tie, the boys wore white with a pink tie). And my girls wore denim jeans and a pretty much matching skirt. Afterwards we had fingerfoods and then we headed to Myrtle Beach!

That sounds beyond cute Kat!
smile.gif

I hear ya on the Mother in Law thing...yeesh. >.<

It was pretty cool. My brother dj'ed for us, and all the boys were playing with the soundsystem before the wedding. At the end when he meant to play that final march song a gospel song called "its almost over" started playing. I LOVE the picture that I have that shows the expressions on our faces as we realized what song was playing!

And a couple of pictures were ruined because I had a HUGE bruise on my hand. I was sick the week before the wedding and had to go to the ER twice. Therefore, two IVs on a dehydrated hand.

I would love to see your bridesmaid dresses!

We chose it because we always thought of it as "our song". I think the lyrics hit home for anyone who has done long distance ("so close no matter how far")
smile.gif
Also, alot of people were telling us it would never work, so the whole "never cared for what they say" thing fit as well.

Well I wasn't wearing the wedding dress when my wife and I got married!!! SIGH... lol Do remember one notable even at our wedding... I wore makeup.. A friend hit me in the head with a full can of Coke and my mom dabbed foundation on the wound so it wouldn't show up in the photos.. lol

A few years ago I did get to wear a wedding dress! A friends, were the same size... and damn if they aren't heavy!!! - Yahoo! Photos - $ Wedding Dress - 2005-07-22

Karren

Kee, that's amazing you got your bridesmaid dresses for $8 each!! And how did you manage to find nice wedding dress at Goodwill?? Every time I look all they have is ass-ugly ones, LOL. Maybe it's because mine's in a tiny town. It would have been so kickass if you could have worn those combat boots with your dress! And such sweet sentiments behind your first dance song *tear*

Kat, your wedding sounds like it was fun [except for the MIL part, poor you!!]. And you got your guy to wear a pink shirt?? Beyond awesome, LOL. If and when I get married, I want to put together my own ceremony too. No way am I saying some archaic vows and having my ceremony read "from the book". My boyfriend's brother got married in June in an Anglican church and their entire ceremony [aside from 2 readings his parents did] was straight out of the "Book of Alternative Services". Boo!

Originally Posted by rejectstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Kat, your wedding sounds like it was fun [except for the MIL part, poor you!!]. And you got your guy to wear a pink shirt?? Beyond awesome, LOL. If and when I get married, I want to put together my own ceremony too. No way am I saying some archaic vows and having my ceremony read "from the book". My boyfriend's brother got married in June in an Anglican church and their entire ceremony [aside from 2 readings his parents did] was straight out of the "Book of Alternative Services". Boo!

Eric loves to wear pink! And he looks so good in it! OMG, you would not believe how long it took me to find everything. Especially since I was determined to have the "hands ceremony" intertwined and my best friend already used it the year before. But, of course, I think mine was better! There's no way I could do that "from the book" think either.

Originally Posted by rejectstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Kee, that's amazing you got your bridesmaid dresses for $8 each!! And how did you manage to find nice wedding dress at Goodwill?? Every time I look all they have is ass-ugly ones, LOL. Maybe it's because mine's in a tiny town. It would have been so kickass if you could have worn those combat boots with your dress! And such sweet sentiments behind your first dance song *tear*
Kat, your wedding sounds like it was fun [except for the MIL part, poor you!!]. And you got your guy to wear a pink shirt?? Beyond awesome, LOL. If and when I get married, I want to put together my own ceremony too. No way am I saying some archaic vows and having my ceremony read "from the book". My boyfriend's brother got married in June in an Anglican church and their entire ceremony [aside from 2 readings his parents did] was straight out of the "Book of Alternative Services". Boo!

Hilary, I got to chose every little thing about my ceremony, which is why I'm happy I got married in a united church. A catholic ceremony does not allow for anything besides tradition.
We personalized our own version of the normal vows. We chose the readings, only one of them was from the bible. We also had our own personalized version of this blessing done. I also had "On Marriage" by Khalil Gibran read during the ceremony, as it is very close to our heart.

The Prophet on Marriage

by Khalil Gibran

hrt.gif

Then Almitra spoke again and said...

"And what of Marriage, master?"

And he answered saying:

You were born together,

and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when the white wings

of death scatter your days.

Aye, you shall be together even in the

silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love.

Let it rather be a moving sea between

the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous,

but let each of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone

though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together, yet not too near together.

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress

grow not in each other's shadow.

We had the apolcalyptica version of Nothing Else Matters playing during the ceremony as well.

Originally Posted by mrs.jones1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Eric loves to wear pink! And he looks so good in it! OMG, you would not believe how long it took me to find everything. Especially since I was determined to have the "hands ceremony" intertwined and my best friend already used it the year before. But, of course, I think mine was better! There's no way I could do that "from the book" think either. He loves to wear pink?? Even better!
laughing.gif
By hands ceremony do you mean like a handfasting, where they wrap both of your hands together with a cord? I think that's such a beautiful ceremony, but since it's pagan in origin, I don't think it would fly too well with our crazy religious parents
bs.gif

Originally Posted by Kee /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hilary, I got to chose every little thing about my ceremony, which is why I'm happy I got married in a united church. A catholic ceremony does not allow for anything besides tradition. Your ceremony sounds so sweet
smile.gif
I really love that hand blessing! I'd never heard the Apocalyptica version of Nothing Else Matters, but obviously it's awesome too
smilehappyyes.gif

hmm well im not married, I just came in to read about everyone else's wedding.

I don't really care about how little or much is spent (obviously as long as it doesnt put me in debt for 20 years!) as long as it is well planned, and what you both want.

I envision something gorgeous and tropical with masses of orchids and a long lazy honeymoon. I went to a psychic and she said i'd get married in 2014 so only 7 years to go! LOL

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif hmm well im not married, I just came in to read about everyone else's wedding.
I don't really care about how little or much is spent (obviously as long as it doesnt put me in debt for 20 years!) as long as it is well planned, and what you both want.

I envision something gorgeous and tropical with masses of orchids and a long lazy honeymoon. I went to a psychic and she said i'd get married in 2014 so only 7 years to go! LOL

lol !! orchids too for me !i agree you don't need to spend a fortune to have a good wedding.

i want something simple, a buffet in somewhere calm, i'm thinking woods. or maybe on the seashore so we can take pics on the beach
smile.gif

i already decided my wedding ring would be a claddagh, i just love this ring and what it represents.

Originally Posted by Karen_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif We got married in secret, at City Hall with 2 witnesses. same here

James and I are starting to plan our wedding. We've not sorted out that many details yet but it'll probably be one of the hotels in the area or we'll go to Vegas. We know we won't be married in a church.

Kee. you looked gorgeous!!

Originally Posted by rejectstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif He loves to wear pink?? Even better!
laughing.gif
By hands ceremony do you mean like a handfasting, where they wrap both of your hands together with a cord? I think that's such a beautiful ceremony, but since it's pagan in origin, I don't think it would fly too well with our crazy religious parents
bs.gif

Actually, I will try to find the version that I used later on today. It's just basically like "take the hands of ******, these are the hands that will..." its really sweet, I'll make sure to hunt it down for you.

I love the thought of a small, inexpensive wedding. I cannot stand the thought of spending a ton of money on a dress I'll never wear again, or insisting my bridesmaids wear expensive dresses. I'd rather save the money to put towards a house than spend the money on a party.

I think this is the one I used. There are longer ones, but I think they get a little boring if you carry on for too long. Thats what happened at my bffs wedding.

Bride-, please face -Groom- and hold his hands, palms up, so that you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will comfort you in illness and hold you when fear or grief fills you. These are the hands that will give you support and celebrate with you in your accomplishments.

-Groom-, please hold -Bride- hands, palms up, so that you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times. They are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick or console you when you are grieving. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the year, for a lifetime of happiness. These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to fulfill your dreams. Together, as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.

Back