All Things Natural Hair!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Co-washing is washing your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo, usually a cheap conditioner.  I know if I wash my hair with shampoo more than once a week, I find that too drying.   So you're rinsing your hair with water and using conditioner to cleanse and moisturize.  My hair loves it.  I've read there are some cleansing agents in conditioner.
Oh thank you. Can you just use any conditioner?

Co wa

What I do is shampoo my hair, rinse it with warm water and squeeze the excess moisture out. Then I take a big glop of any hair mask or deep conditioner and apply it to just the length of my hair about an inch or two from my scalp. I leave it for ten to fifteen minutes while I shower and then rinse it out with cool water. I always use a deep conditioner in place of a regular conditioner because I am lazy and wouldn't bother to deep condition my hair otherwise. That is pretty much all I do to my hair. What do you mean by cowashing? When I wash my hair I always use shampoo. I have tried just rinsing my scalp but that just makes my hair feel more gross. Is it bad for me to shampoo every other day?[/quote Co washing is washing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Conditioners have cleaning agents without the detergents like shampoos. There are companies that make "special" conditioner specifically for co washing but its not necessary. You can just grab a less expensive conditioner from vo5, suave, or even Aussie moist. Others great ones are from herbal essence and tresemme naturals. Use them like you would a shampoo, rinse and apply a leave in conditioner and seal with an oil. When shampooing everyday, does your scalp seem dry or is your hair falling out? If you question your shampoo use, maybe try to decreasing shampooing. Meaning, if you wash your hair with shampoo 3 times a week, switch out the shampoo for conditioner on one or two days. Try different variations that will work for you.

Co washing is washing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Conditioners have cleaning agents without the detergents like shampoos. There are companies that make "special" conditioner specifically for co washing but its not necessary. You can just grab a less expensive conditioner from vo5, suave, or even Aussie moist. Others great ones are from herbal essence and tresemme naturals. Use them like you would a shampoo, rinse and apply a leave in conditioner and seal with an oil. When shampooing everyday, does your scalp seem dry or is your hair falling out? If you question your shampoo use, maybe try to decreasing shampooing. Meaning, if you wash your hair with shampoo 3 times a week, switch out the shampoo for conditioner on one or two days. Try different variations that will work for you.

Originally Posted by BajanPrincess /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh thank you. Can you just use any conditioner?
I use a conditioner like Herbal Essence Hello Hydration.  I wouldn't use something as heavy as a deep.  You'll know it's a good match if you're hair feels moisturized the way you want it to feel.  If you need to cleanse your hair several times a week; I would wash once a week with shampoo and the other times with conditioner.  Miss T really spells it out!  Let us know how it works out for you.

I use a conditioner like Herbal Essence Hello Hydration.  I wouldn't use something as heavy as a deep.  You'll know it's a good match if you're hair feels moisturized the way you want it to feel.  If you need to cleanse your hair several times a week; I would wash once a week with shampoo and the other times with conditioner.  Miss T really spells it out!  Let us know how it works out for you.
I tried cowashing twice and it made my scalp really greasy and my hair mushy and gross and full of build up. One of my friends told me that I was gross not to use shampoo and that I'm going to get build up on my scalp which will cause hair fall. Is this true? Right now I'm really confused about shampoo being a good or bad thing. My sister still shampoos every other day and her hair has gotten pretty long.

It really sound slike your hair is very oily and the products your using are too heavy.  From what you wrote previously, your conditioner your using deep conditioner in place of regular; you probably shoudn't use the deep conditioner in your hair more than once a week. Pehaps you need to change the products your using.  When I co wash, I use a light conditioner to avoid build up and as Ms. T said there are cleansing agents in the conditioner. 

The reason I cowash is because sometimes I feel like there's build up and need to cleanse a bit, but I don't shampoo more than once a week because my hair is so dry.   I don't co wash consisitently.

You should try what Miss. T suggested: Apple cider vinegar rinses are best used at least once a month. It helps to cleanse, get rid of build up instead of using a clarifying shampoo, and is suppose to control hairs natural oil production (sebum). To be safe, just do it once a month (acv) and co wash a few times a week if you need to.

Acv washes are best for people who use hair grease, a lot of gel and products.  You could also try a baking soda cleanse as well.  You mix a bit of baking soda and water an place it and massage it on your scalp for 10-15 mins and then rinse and condition.  What is your hair type?  Kinky, coarse, coily etc.and what products are you using?

Here a several websites you could look at that have a wealth of information.  CurlyNikki.com and kinkycoilyme.com.  You can look in their archives for articles on all sorts of hair issues.  Keep us posted.

I so agree with you Deenellie. Deep conditioners are for deep conditioning: meaning adding or keeping moisture in your hair. BajanPrincess, you are trying to get the oil out of your hair but your methods are keeping it in. You mentioned your sister but it sounds like your hair is very different. If so, you have find your own regime. You also stated that you're lazy when it come to hair ( specifically mention conditioner). You just can't be lazy or not take care of your hair properly and expect positive results. Washing hair with shampoo is not the end all of keeping the hair clean. That's definitely a hair myth. Maybe you need to talk to a doctor if the hair oil production is such a problem. Your glands could be over producing oil. It happens, especially on a persons face. I hope you find a solution, because it seems to be really bothering you. Good luck!

It really sound slike your hair is very oily and the products your using are too heavy.  From what you wrote previously, your conditioner your using deep conditioner in place of regular; you probably shoudn't use the deep conditioner in your hair more than once a week. Pehaps you need to change the products your using.  When I co wash, I use a light conditioner to avoid build up and as Ms. T said there are cleansing agents in the conditioner.  The reason I cowash is because sometimes I feel like there's build up and need to cleanse a bit, but I don't shampoo more than once a week because my hair is so dry.   I don't co wash consisitently. You should try what Miss. T suggested: Apple cider vinegar rinses are best used at least once a month. It helps to cleanse, get rid of build up instead of using a clarifying shampoo, and is suppose to control hairs natural oil production (sebum). To be safe, just do it once a month (acv) and co wash a few times a week if you need to. Acv washes are best for people who use hair grease, a lot of gel and products.  You could also try a baking soda cleanse as well.  You mix a bit of baking soda and water an place it and massage it on your scalp for 10-15 mins and then rinse and condition.  What is your hair type?  Kinky, coarse, coily etc.and what products are you using?
My hair type is kinky curly. I would say probably 3c or looser on top of my head with maybe some 4a in the very back It is really extremely thick. For shampoo I alternate between four: Terax Miele Hydrating Shampoo, Terax Collagene reparative Shampoo, Philip B Russian Amber Imperial Shampoo and Bumble & Bumble Seaweed Shampoo. I have 15 different conditioners but they are all hair masks or deep conditioners. I have everything from Redken to Schearzkopf, Terax, Bumble & Bumble, Rusk, Philip B, Healthy Sexy Hair, Alter Ego Italy, Carol's Daughter and Skin An Apothecary French Hair Paste. For leave in conditioner I use a kid one. I use the Circle Of Friend's brand leave in conditioners. Some times, I also use the Terax Hydrate Botanica Leave In Moisturizer and the Carol's Daughter Tui Leave in Conditioner. I only use one at a time and I use about a quarter sized amount. I also use a Moroccan Argon oil on my ends. I pretty much only put leave in conditioner in my hair on wash day which is every other day. I pretty much have super oily skin on my face as well. I used to have really bad acne. I always let my hair air dry by putting it in a damp bun.

I so agree with you Deenellie. Deep conditioners are for deep conditioning: meaning adding or keeping moisture in your hair. BajanPrincess, you are trying to get the oil out of your hair but your methods are keeping it in. You mentioned your sister but it sounds like your hair is very different. If so, you have find your own regime. You also stated that you're lazy when it come to hair ( specifically mention conditioner). You just can't be lazy or not take care of your hair properly and expect positive results. Washing hair with shampoo is not the end all of keeping the hair clean. That's definitely a hair myth. Maybe you need to talk to a doctor if the hair oil production is such a problem. Your glands could be over producing oil. It happens, especially on a persons face. I hope you find a solution, because it seems to be really bothering you. Good luck!
My sister's hair has a little bit of a looser curl pattern than mine and her hair is more soft and spongy while mine is dense but coarse textured. By lazy I meant I am not into really styling or doing much with my hair. I dont use chemicals or heat because the upkeep would be too much for me. I pretty much just wash, towel dry and go. Yeah but I thought that I should use a mask as a conditioner because I never deep condition my hair. When I use the mask though I never put it anywhere near my roots just on the length. I always thought being low maintenance with your hair was a good thing.

My sister's hair has a little bit of a looser curl pattern than mine and her hair is more soft and spongy while mine is dense but coarse textured. By lazy I meant I am not into really styling or doing much with my hair. I dont use chemicals or heat because the upkeep would be too much for me. I pretty much just wash, towel dry and go. Yeah but I thought that I should use a mask as a conditioner because I never deep condition my hair. When I use the mask though I never put it anywhere near my roots just on the length. I always thought being low maintenance with your hair was a good thing.
Low maintenance is a great thing but what you just explained is very different from how you came off before. Like before, since your sister has a different curl pattern you have to find a regime and solutions that work for your hair. Deenellie mentioned some sites to do a little research. Seek or at least talk ( call or ask for a free consultation) from a dermatologist or your doctor concerning over production of oil. I know on some sites I've read say to fight oil with oil. Maybe try adding a little oil to your conditioner or shampoo or even incorporating oil in a pre- poo routine.

My hair is coarse, dry and dense as well w/ tight coils. I would say my hair is a 4 combination of A B and C and it can be difficult to handle with the various textures.  If you don't want to co-wash w/ conditioner. there are cleansing creams out there that mositurize and cleanse gently. 

I use one called coconut cleansing cream or a cleansing pudding by As I Am.  I really love it.  So if I need to cleanse a bit during the week, I use the cleansing cream and it gently cleanses and moisturizes my hair very well.  There are other brands as well.  From what I understand, Pantene has come out with a "Natural" line of products and they have a cleansing cream.  If you can get that in your store, then maybe try that.  Shea Moisture is another good line.

If you're hair is dry, then concentrate on conditioning the hair and try to keep it off the scalp.  I've never heard of oily scalp and dry hair.  So as Ms. T says, if all else fails, you should see a dermatologist.  Co-washing and cleansing creams work well for me.  I use the cleansing cream more than I co-wash. 

On wash day, I pre-poo, shampoo & condition and deep condition.  You really need to deep condition with coarse hair, once a week.   It really helps soften & moisturize coarse hair.  Also the other important thing you must do at night is either use a satin pillowcase to sleep on or wrap your hair in a satin scarf.  The cotton pillowcases draws and absorbs moisture form the hair.  Satin pillow cases don't, therefore your hair should'nt feel dry.  I've found since using the satin pillowcases, I don't wake up with a brillo pad on my head. You can find them in most beauty suply places or of course on-line.

I also think you're using way too many different types of products on your hair.  Alot of the products you mentioned, may not be good for or working on our texture hair. They could be drying your hair out.  You should stick with a certain brand and see if it's working for you.  If not, then stop using them until you find the right combination; the process of elimination.  Carol's Daughter makes good products, I would work with that for now.  Read the ingredients on your products.  Make sure the first ingredient is water and stay away from products with alcohol, silicones and parabens if you can. They cause dryness.

Keep us posted.

My hair is coarse, dry and dense as well w/ tight coils. I would say my hair is a 4 combination of A B and C and it can be difficult to handle with the various textures.  If you don't want to co-wash w/ conditioner. there are cleansing creams out there that mositurize and cleanse gently.  I use one called coconut cleansing cream or a cleansing pudding by As I Am.  I really love it.  So if I need to cleanse a bit during the week, I use the cleansing cream and it gently cleanses and moisturizes my hair very well.  There are other brands as well.  From what I understand, Pantene has come out with a "Natural" line of products and they have a cleansing cream.  If you can get that in your store, then maybe try that.  Shea Moisture is another good line. If you're hair is dry, then concentrate on conditioning the hair and try to keep it off the scalp.  I've never heard of oily scalp and dry hair.  So as Ms. T says, if all else fails, you should see a dermatologist.  Co-washing and cleansing creams work well for me.  I use the cleansing cream more than I co-wash.  On wash day, I pre-poo, shampoo & condition and deep condition.  You really need to deep condition with coarse hair, once a week.   It really helps soften & moisturize coarse hair.  Also the other important thing you must do at night is either use a satin pillowcase to sleep on or wrap your hair in a satin scarf.  The cotton pillowcases draws and absorbs moisture form the hair.  Satin pillow cases don't, therefore your hair should'nt feel dry.  I've found since using the satin pillowcases, I don't wake up with a brillo pad on my head. You can find them in most beauty suply places or of course on-line. I also think you're using way too many different types of products on your hair.  Alot of the products you mentioned, may not be good for or working on our texture hair. They could be drying your hair out.  You should stick with a certain brand and see if it's working for you.  If not, then stop using them until you find the right combination; the process of elimination.  Carol's Daughter makes good products, I would work with that for now.  Read the ingredients on your products.  Make sure the first ingredient is water and stay away from products with alcohol, silicones and parabens if you can. They cause dryness. Keep us posted.
Thanks but I think I will stick to shampooing every other day. I just feel gross and dirty not to shampoo my hair at least once in two days and my stepmother got pretty grossed out when i tried to just do cowashing. I like the hair products I use because they don't make my hair greasy. My texture is probably looser curled than yours so all the extra steps are unnecessary. I never tie my hair down or pre poo or do any of those things and my hair grows pretty fast as long as I eat properly. Thanks for your help though. The oily skin/scalp is most likely genetic because my Dad is the same way.

My hair is coarse, dry and dense as well w/ tight coils. I would say my hair is a 4 combination of A B and C and it can be difficult to handle with the various textures.  If you don't want to co-wash w/ conditioner. there are cleansing creams out there that mositurize and cleanse gently.  I use one called coconut cleansing cream or a cleansing pudding by As I Am.  I really love it.  So if I need to cleanse a bit during the week, I use the cleansing cream and it gently cleanses and moisturizes my hair very well.  There are other brands as well.  From what I understand, Pantene has come out with a "Natural" line of products and they have a cleansing cream.  If you can get that in your store, then maybe try that.  Shea Moisture is another good line. If you're hair is dry, then concentrate on conditioning the hair and try to keep it off the scalp.  I've never heard of oily scalp and dry hair.  So as Ms. T says, if all else fails, you should see a dermatologist.  Co-washing and cleansing creams work well for me.  I use the cleansing cream more than I co-wash.  On wash day, I pre-poo, shampoo & condition and deep condition.  You really need to deep condition with coarse hair, once a week.   It really helps soften & moisturize coarse hair.  Also the other important thing you must do at night is either use a satin pillowcase to sleep on or wrap your hair in a satin scarf.  The cotton pillowcases draws and absorbs moisture form the hair.  Satin pillow cases don't, therefore your hair should'nt feel dry.  I've found since using the satin pillowcases, I don't wake up with a brillo pad on my head. You can find them in most beauty suply places or of course on-line. I also think you're using way too many different types of products on your hair.  Alot of the products you mentioned, may not be good for or working on our texture hair. They could be drying your hair out.  You should stick with a certain brand and see if it's working for you.  If not, then stop using them until you find the right combination; the process of elimination.  Carol's Daughter makes good products, I would work with that for now.  Read the ingredients on your products.  Make sure the first ingredient is water and stay away from products with alcohol, silicones and parabens if you can. They cause dryness. Keep us posted.
I'm now going to check out the as I am because lately it's all people are talking about. The hair typing thing is weird but I might take the little assessment test to see what it says. Soon I'll be able to try carols daughter but my money is limited right now. I have seen the Pantene version but I use to use that line back when they first started but they have since changed the formula.... Bad. I can't stand that. Have you heard or tried curls unleashed or curly kinks? I've been debating whether to take the plunge and just try the curly kinks.

I tried the curls unleashed sulfate shampoo,  my hair didn't like it.  Felt really dry afterwards.  I tried CK curl jam.  I have to say I was really impressed with how quickly my curls defined.  It was really crunchy though.  As I am would be a great investment.  But as we know everyone's hair responds differently to products.  If you go to As I am's website, at one time you had the option to buy a sample pack of all their products.  That would be a good way to test.  It was reasonably.priced.

I'm trying not to use real commercial products like Pantene.  I used to use it back in the day also.  I received free products of the Natural brand.  So I'll try it.  The only issue I have with the product is it has silicones in it.  But from what I've been reading not all silicones are bad?  I don't know.  I'm going to try their cowash.  I also have samples of Dark & Lovely Naturale.  I have an anti shrinkage gel.  I'll let you know what I think.

Lemeno products you're interested in.  I'm swimming in samples and if I have what you want I'm happy to share.  I have other natural stuff you might want to try.

Originally Posted by Mss T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm now going to check out the as I am because lately it's all people are talking about. The hair typing thing is weird but I might take the little assessment test to see what it says. Soon I'll be able to try carols daughter but my money is limited right now.

I have seen the Pantene version but I use to use that line back when they first started but they have since changed the formula.... Bad. I can't stand that. Have you heard or tried curls unleashed or curly kinks? I've been debating whether to take the plunge and just try the curly kinks.
curls unleashed are my holy grail items.  i like their boosting jelly and their second day curl referesher b/c it keeps my curls intact.  i got them as a gift. 

i'm unfamilar with curly kinks though

I tried the curls unleashed sulfate shampoo,  my hair didn't like it.  Felt really dry afterwards.  I tried CK curl jam.  I have to say I was really impressed with how quickly my curls defined.  It was really crunchy though.  As I am would be a great investment.  But as we know everyone's hair responds differently to products.  If you go to As I am's website, at one time you had the option to buy a sample pack of all their products.  That would be a good way to test.  It was reasonably.priced. I'm trying not to use real commercial products like Pantene.  I used to use it back in the day also.  I received free products of the Natural brand.  So I'll try it.  The only issue I have with the product is it has silicones in it.  But from what I've been reading not all silicones are bad?  I don't know.  I'm going to try their cowash.  I also have samples of Dark & Lovely Naturale.  I have an anti shrinkage gel.  I'll let you know what I think. Lemeno products you're interested in.  I'm swimming in samples and if I have what you want I'm happy to share.  I have other natural stuff you might want to try.
I will let you know. Having an abundance of products for natural hair is so new to me. I went natural when there was just the Jamaican locking products and and softsheen spray, lol. I'm loving the variety of choices.
curls unleashed are my holy grail items.  i like their boosting jelly and their second day curl referesher b/c it keeps my curls intact.  i got them as a gift.  i'm unfamilar with curly kinks though
I found it by just scrolling through curlmart. It has a few positive ratings but .... I'm just not sure. I'm becoming a little more judgmental of what products I want to invest in.

Yeah!  You're right to avoid buying alot of products.  Alot of us got caught up in that.  I highly recommend As I Am cleansing cream.  I tried the Pantene cleansing cream.  I have to say it was better than expected. hmmmmmmmm

58389_428309843922315_2034385163_n.jpg

Back