Are You Bilingual? How Did you Learn?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a.

I can speak Thai and English

b.

Thai is my first language and I learned English from books, movie and internet

c.

I'm not fluent yet for english but can understand and can communicate in easy English conversation. I used more than 2 years to leaned.

ryoko, did you have any lessons at all? or just by yourself. That is pretty impressive, within 2 years!

By the way, I have been to Thailand a few times now - it is so beautiful there!

i speak farsi (iranian launage) as my 2nd launage.

ive been speaking it since i was a kid since my parents always spoke it to me. at one point they hired me an english touter when i was like 3 cause i keept speaking farsi insted of english. however, the tourter was philiepino (sp?). so i started to speak with that kind of accent insted. it was funny.

but now i have really no accent expcet for the midwest-slight minnesotan one that occationally comes out.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif ryoko, did you have any lessons at all? or just by yourself. That is pretty impressive, within 2 years!
By the way, I have been to Thailand a few times now - it is so beautiful there!

I used to take some english courses but I didn't get any good result so i try to find the way to improve my english by my self and i found some methods that work for me.

That's really cool! I like to hear stories like that since I want to learn before next year!

very encouraging!

A. Do you speak more than one language? what do you speak?

I speak English (my 1st language), Spanish and Turkish.

B. How did you learn? at home as a baby? at school?

Well, I obviously learned English as a baby but I learned Spanish in High School. I was taught for 3 years (the last year was mainly coursework which basically went over stuff so I didn't learn much then) and although I'm not fluent I could get by in a Spanish speaking country. I was a lot better than other people in my class because I actually wanted to learn. Other students just had the 'I'll never use it so why should I learn' attitude where as I loved learning another language. I'm now in the process of learning Turkish. I went there on holiday and was quite inspired by how Turkish people there have learnt English to attract tourists so I decided I'd learn Turkish. I've been teaching myself for around a year now through language phrase books, the internet, language CD's and Turkish speaking people. Language CD's are very good although phrase books can be hard to get a grasp of. When I'm on holiday (or speaking through email to a family friend who lives in Turkey) I ask what things are in Turkish and get taught new phrases then. And when you get a basic grasp and you hear someone say a sentence with 6 words in it and you know 5 of the words then you usually can guess the other word and then you've learnt something else. Also when someone tells me a word or phrase I'll write it down how I would say it and not how it's actually spelt, which makes it easier to remember.

C. If you learnt after childhood, how long did it take you to become fluent or reasonably fluent?

I'm not really fluent in Turkish or Spanish. I don't see myself learning anymore Spanish because I think I know all I need to know and I'm going to concentrate on my Turkish. But hopefully I'll get a lot better at Turkish in the future
smile.gif

I speak Ukrainian somewhat fluently. It took me about 2 years of self teaching to get to that point but I still have to work quite hard to maintain it because it's not a language you tend to hear much of in this country so it would be easy to start forgetting some things.

I can understand the basics of Russian and Polish mostly through similarities between these languages and Ukrainian. I'd really like to learn Russian properly though. I can also speak a little German and used to speak very good French as a young child because my cousin's wife was French and would speak it to me but when they moved to England I lost it which is a real shame.

I'd love to learn Hindi and Arabic. My boyfriend speaks fluent Persian and Arabic and he's trying to teach me some but I feel a bit hopeless at it.

I also speak Spanish of course, it was my first language. I was born in L.A. and it seems like everybody speaks Spanish there way more than English.

I also took some French in high school, but I only know the basics.

I really want to learn how to speak Italian so bad, I'm gonna get one of those cd's. I also want to learn Russian, cause they sound so sexy when they speak.

lol! I didn't know Russian was so popular.. and SEXY? Maybe I'll speak it more often, then.

P.S.-- I don't mind helping someone learn! =) Ask anything.

Russian language definitely is very sexy. But then so are Russian people. Some people think French or Italian sound sexy but I agree that Russian does it for me much more.

A. Do you speak more than one language? what do you speak?

I speak English, Spanish, very little German, and even less Italian

B. How did you learn? at home as a baby? at school?

I learned Spanish at home. It was my first language. I picked up English during my first years of school.I learned a bit of Italian for less than a year in high school. I learned some German for 2 years in high school. I've forgotten a lot of it. I might just take it in college. I also want to learn many other languages.

C. If you learnt after childhood, how long did it take you to become fluent or reasonably fluent?

Oh, just took me a few of years to get my English perfected(this was during childhood). I learned to get my pronunciation right with T.V shows and just talking to people at school. I didn't think about it, just imitated.

For me, German was easier to learn for me than for other people in my class. I think being bilingual to start with might just make the process easier. I don't know, just learning the details and imitating pronunciation is easier. I did not get any practice outside that class, and it was only for two years, so I am not fluent in German at all!

My Spanish now has become a bit broken. I can get away with it just fine, but I cannot be as eloquent as I am in English. I only speak Spanish to my family. English is for everything else.

I speak Slovenian, Serbian, English, some German and I'm learning Italian now.

I learned Serbian from my father's side of the family.

I studied English in both primary and grammar school and I studied English literature at uni; which totals 12 years (I'm so old). I recently passed the Cambridge Business English Certificate with the highest mark, so I'm officially fluent in business English (I had to throw this one in LOL I'm proud as a peacock for passing)

I also studied German for 4 years, but I understand more than I can speak. I can manage basic conversations used for shopping and ordering food
wink.gif

I recently got one of those learn Italian audio books and I'm listening and repeating on my way to work every day. I really like it.

I studied Dutch for 10 years and let me tell you I'm really not fluent at ALL !!! Belgian school system is really not good.

Anyhoo.... I understand and can have a normal conversation.

I also studied spanish (3 years), german (6 months lol but hey I can order in restaurants, do some shopping and ask for the way if I'm lost)

English was my second language in high school.

Arabic (or Darija as Kbella mentionned it) is supposed to be my mother tongue. First day at school me no speak french at all!!!!!! But over the years I forgot a lot.

I can have a conversation with a salesperson in Egypt, they don't understand Moroccan Arabic but I do understand most of what they say.

oh! and I know some words in Turkish lol

excuse the spelling :

seni sevi yorum (I love you)

tcho gusel (very beautiful)

egulner (good morning)

tamam (ok)

piss orospo (******)

Originally Posted by ADSCOSMETICS /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol! I didn't know Russian was so popular.. and SEXY? Maybe I'll speak it more often, then.

OH for sure. Imo, Russian is wayyy sexy. It's prolly my fave. It's not as froo-froo as some other languages
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by ADSCOSMETICS /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol! I didn't know Russian was so popular.. and SEXY? Maybe I'll speak it more often, then.

Russian is supersexy be it guy or girl. I see guys speaking Russian in those mob movies, they are freakin suave! God forbid I ever run into a guy who speaks Russian and is easy on the eyes cause I'm screwed!

lol you girls and your Russian! I think Italian is sexy! Lots of languages are sexy!

Mmmm..

Russian is HOT!

I met a Russian dude in Vegas years ago who was managing a Russian kickboxer there and he was slick, honey!

I suspect he may have been, ummmm, "juiced", ya know??

Maybe that led to the sexy.

I can speak Chinese (Mandarin), English, and I can understand Shanghai dialect perfectly(I think it's called Wu)I don't speak it anymore because I had a terrible nanny a long time ago(long story) I can, but I have a retarded accent and everyone's used to me not speaking it lol

and I can read some latin (took 3 years at HS) rofl

Chinese is my first language,so was shanghai-nese lol

I learned english when I moved to the US at the age of 10, took like half a year to a year for me to be really fluent. I learned pretty fast because there were practically no asians where I lived and my dad forced me to write english everyday. I don't have an accent either(surprising to a lot of people)

I want to learn: Korean...soooo badly because I like korean culture and their shows, music etc. it'd be so much easier if I understood and didn't have to strain my eyes to read subtitles.

Back