August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there guys. My name is Mickayla and I'm going to be on the "No buy" "Low buy" support group for a little bit. I'm 17, a makeup artist, (and a baby sitter). I only am going to make 80$ a week and I really need to work hard and save for college. I decided this after I went through all my makeup for school and realized I own 61 lipsticks, ranging thousands side for palettes and eyeshadows, and way too many of everything basically. The only things I will allow myself to purchase is: Black mascara, Black Eyeliner. I probably won't run out of anything else to tell you the truth. And yes, all this makeup is mine and separate from my makeup kit. Also after debating taking a break from purchasing makeup and clothes, I then saw a really great deal from a former teacher of mine selling a bunch of Stila stuff she never used. FOR TWENTY DOLLARS. And I said to put it on hold until I got paid. Then this girl going off to college said she really needed it and I took a deep breath and gave the deal to her. Basically someone giving me a sign that "even twenty bucks for a ton of makeup is still a ridiculous amount of money to spend on makeup with what you have, seeings as you need nothing". :|

Luckily I get a ton of samples online and such so I don't think this should be too much of a problem for me! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

"even twenty bucks for a ton of makeup is still a ridiculous amount of money to spend on makeup with what you have, seeings as you need nothing"
I almost spent $20 on nail polish just now, and changed my mind after reading that. Thanks.

And of course, good job resisting!

I've been able to reign the spending in, so I'm back on track. I just need to keep reminding myself there will always be sales and things to buy.

I did skip Julep again, and cancelled ipsy, so I'm just down to my one Birchbox subscription.

One more week left in August! I've been tempted to buy a few things lately, but I managed to reason myself out of it. I'm hoping I can actually make it through the entire month without buying anything unnecessary.

SO I jumped off the no-buy bandwagon this summer, although I didn't purchase too much I need to get back to holding myself responsible! And not just with makeup - with takeout, clothes shopping, shoe shopping, everything. I need to build back up my savings and pay my credit card balance (about $800) before October when my interest rate kicks in. (I had 0% APR for 15 months.) I should be able to do all of these things easily if I stick to my guns and just don't buy anything I don't need. This month I spent quite a bit on fall clothes and spent $22 on candles at B&BW. SO that was about $300 total that could have gone to my CC balance or savings account. So I'm back on the no-buy until Christmas shopping & Sephoras VIB sale!

I may have just order $30 worth of Lorac stuff at Hautlook... On the bright side I managed to restrain myself and spend only $30. sigh...

Someone talk me down from the Marc Jacobs promo!
i actually didn't get it... not good enough of a deal, i guess?? somehow, i'm thinking i can get those deluxe samples later, and i don't need more polish (and you probably don't too)... 

After 27 straight days at zero....I caved. Stress got to me. BUT I caved for a grand total of $11.97 at the walmart so it could have been worse. However I am mad at myself because I caved on PINK LIPSTICK which I'm pretty sure I have enough to last for the next 19 centuries. Le sigh.

After 27 straight days at zero....I caved. Stress got to me. BUT I caved for a grand total of $11.97 at the walmart so it could have been worse. However I am mad at myself because I caved on PINK LIPSTICK which I'm pretty sure I have enough to last for the next 19 centuries. Le sigh.
Congrats for making it so long! I definitely didn't last that long, and I spent way more than $11.97  :lol:

I did pretty good for August sticking to replacing products only.  Sometimes I replaced things I just wasn't happy with but could have suffered through.  So, maybe a bit of a gray area.   I almost purchased today because I think I am a little bit stressed.  I sent my son off to college this week.  :sdrop:   But, I abandoned the cart.  Hopefully, I can stay away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made my last purchase for a while today. 3 items from the new MAC collection. All things I don't have anything similar of and all were on my list so I'm happy with myself. The plan is No Buy for September! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Will be focusing on using up lip products and playing with my MAC palette.

I avoided SO MANY purchases this month, and then the Ulta 10x day happened, and I decided it would just be stupid and shortsighted to not take advantage of that. And then I was like, "well screw it, I already blew my budget, I'm just going to buy more nail polish until I feel better."

We'll see how it all shakes out in my recap, but I don't think it will be good.

I have done better this month than any other attempted no-buy. I purchased some gifts and while I did make an unplanned Sephora purchase (today - ebates are 10%), it was for items I needed to replace such as a beauty blender, nail clippers (clearenced), and base coat. 

Sub wise, I forgot to cancel From the Lab in time, so I need to make sure I do that before Sept (note to self...do it while I'm thinking about it - there, done!). I cancelled one of my birchboxes (and when one of my annual subs is up, I will cancel and go down to one box). I did add Sample Society, but I skipped Julep and cancelled Square Hue. I successfully avoided getting the PopSugar LE Fall box, even though I REALLY wanted it. And to be honest, I only successfully avoided it because it sold out. If someone ends up with buyers remorse and wants to sell their box, I will probably jump at the chance. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back