August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back to meal planning, shopping with a seriously-stick-to-it-THIS-MEANS-YOU! list, and going to the regular grocery rather than Whole Foods.  It's rather amazing that this alone will save several hundreds of dollars a month.  Groceries and restaurants are big downfalls for us.  We're foodies.  Need to stop being foodies for a while and focus on being housies!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have lived both directly next to and on top of a Whole Foods at various points. While I will probably shop there forever, I've started calling it Whole Paycheck.

Since I have Amazon Prime I decided last month to put toothbrushes, toothpaste, and deodorant on a subscription plan to avoid the H&B aisles. ( I get them shipped every 3 months. All are twin packs so it works great)

From subs I shall probably never need to buy shampoos, conditioners or hair masks ever again.

For August, keeping my subscriptions: Lip Factory, BB, Allure Sample Society, and Ipsy. If Ipsy is lackluster again in Aug. it will be cancelled.

Husband's birthday is Aug. 8th so buying presents for my baby. I am almost out of Pacifica Sea Foam wash (I use it as a bodywash sometimes) so when it is empty I can replace it.  That's it, my plan for August.

I really really need to go on a no buy/low buy in August. I have so much stuff! I finally got some good storage, but I can't keep adding to it. Clutter really stresses me out, like to the point where it's almost hard for me to sleep at night as I think about ways I can declutter... and yet I still have a bunch of subscription beauty boxes (especially Memeboxes), spend lots of money at TJ Maxx, Ulta, MAC, and Sephora, and can't stop buying things I don't need. I have a whole drawer full of lip products, and I barely use any of them! They will probably turn rancid before I get through them all. I just really need to stop this! I am especially a sucker for GWP promotions. I really need to put in a dual plan of using the products I have and not buying any more! I have a pre-paid annual sub for Birchbox and Beauty Army (unfortunately, since BA sucks), and I subscribe to PopSugar, Blush, Allure Sample Society, Ipsy. I also buy way too many Memeboxes. Here is my plan for August:

I already paid for PopSugar for August,  but I will cancel after that. I will not resubscribe even if there is a really good promo code.

I kind of want to cancel Sample Society, but they have been really good the last few months, and I really want the Too Faced Melted Peony. Ugh.

I will cancel Blush this month. They have awesome products, but I don't use half the stuff and the full sizes pile up. I need to avoid spoilers so I am not tempted.

I will get Ipsy for August, but I will cancel if I don't get items I can use up (which will probably happen).

No more Memeboxes! If I get another super awesome code or they give us Meme points, it might be hard for me to resist, but I already have quite a few more coming.

No more TJ Maxx/Marshalls beauty runs.

No more Ulta.

I will probably go to the Sephora VIB Rouge event,  but I need to have a list of a few things that I really want (like HGs that need replacing). After that event, no more Sephora until I seriously run out of something. 

No more MAC, even special collections. 

I need to stay out of threads that tempt me to buy. Examples include the enablers thread (duh), the Sephora promo code thread, maybe some of the Memebox threads, and the Blush Spoiler thread. 

No more clothes! 

I need to keep organizing my stuff and find a good system. I look forward to going through this month with you guys! 

Having a hard time today, there's a special summer Haus of Gloi collection (Indie bath and body products) that I totally missed when I made my purchase in July that just arrived today. Well anyways, I just realized the collection sells out in August and won't come back for a year. And even if it does come back, it may not be all the same scents. So I'm kicking myself that I missed it the first time around, and wishing I could get them. But I've told myself I can get their new fall collection after the no buy ends and I'm feeling better about it. Those darn limited collections are the bane of no buys!

But in other news, I've been finding lots of great furniture ideas that I want for my apartment. Doubt I can get them all, but Ikea will be a no buy savior (as it's on my ok to buy list!)

I stuck to my July No Buy religiously but I can already see some issues with August (even though it will be a Low Buy month anyway):

- I'm close to VIB Rouge with Sephora and I'm tempted to place an order to qualify before the 4x points event in a couple weeks where I would then make the $50 purchase to get some extra points and the free gift.

- MAC's A Novel Romance collection is coming out and I know I'll want several things from that.

- I'm trying to limit myself to 5 makeup items total.

- No limit on anything else but I'll be trying to keep other purchases minimal. If I notice myself getting out of hand I'll go back to a No Buy for those things.

Ok ok ok. I'm giving myself a $50 out of pocket budget for the month of August. I'm going to be FINALLY moving to Nashville at the end of next week (summer classes officially over! Grad school officially done! Thesis officially accepted!). SO even though I'm going to be paid my sign on bonus and will be paid even before my first day of being in the office, I have to be good. I think I will be buying a car, i doubt the boyfriend and I can share one car for too long. I will also have some furniture and other "starting out" costs to keep in mind. Yanno, toilet paper, new spices, etc all add up when you're basically only moving your clothes and starting fresh!!! I also didn't realize how expensive mattresses are... Oopsies.

SO I think $50 is good and will probably go to picking up the pulp fiction palette from sephora when point bonus time starts.

Okay, I'll be joining this thread for a 3 month replacement-only no-buy on August 4th. July was my b-day month so I treated myself a bit...which will be spilling over into August for the VIB Rouge event. I'm allowing myself to go, but I have a set list/budget that I need to stick to. And after that, the no-buy starts and lasts until holiday deals start!

I'm torn between stocking up on stuff at the VIB sale and not. I know there will be skincare-type things that I'll run out of over the next couple of months in my "stash" (really whittled down for several categories, go me!)--like my AM serum, my HG moisturizer, etc. On one hand, i want to buy it now just so I'm not buying stuff during my no-buy and to take advantage of the 4x points. On the other hand, I need to STOP HOARDING back ups, and this would go against that. What to do!

Okay, I'll be joining this thread for a 3 month replacement-only no-buy on August 4th. July was my b-day month so I treated myself a bit...which will be spilling over into August for the VIB Rouge event. I'm allowing myself to go, but I have a set list/budget that I need to stick to. And after that, the no-buy starts and lasts until holiday deals start!

I'm torn between stocking up on stuff at the VIB sale and not. I know there will be skincare-type things that I'll run out of over the next couple of months in my "stash" (really whittled down for several categories, go me!)--like my AM serum, my HG moisturizer, etc. On one hand, i want to buy it now just so I'm not buying stuff during my no-buy and to take advantage of the 4x points. On the other hand, I need to STOP HOARDING back ups, and this would go against that. What to do!
Having the same issue! The struggle is real.. I keep changing my mind about it.

Hmm, I would probably think about when the next big Sephora sale/points event is and maybe buy enough to last me until then. If you already have enough to last until, for example, the sale around November each year, then I wouldn't buy it. If you will run out at a time when there aren't any major sales, it would be better for you to buy now (unless you are having serious storage issues, I guess).

I'm totally guilty of buying backups, especially if stuff is being discontinued or 50% off on Hautelook. There have been a couple discontinued items that I have been very glad to have stocked up on over the years, but it seems like for every backup that gets used, two go unused. I think it's an anxiety thing, but something I need to stop, unless it's a super HG item. 

Resist the urge to hoard!  There will be other sales in the future where you can buy replacement items as needed.

I've been lurking for awhile but am talking myself into joining.  I did really well the whole month, considering some personal life setbacks, but in the last week have fallen hard.  I've been rationalizing that I really did good tho, using BB points and ultra points/GC.  The damage hasn't been to severe but need to reel it back in.  Doesn't help that I did a major Target haul today for everyday things.  I really am swimming in samples at this point.

I made the move to sign up for Gwynnie Bee today!  =)  And I also cancelled my Ipsy sub even before I got the first bag.  Got Birchbox and Sample Society.  That should take care of most of my beauty and clothing needs.  Hope this helps me keep my shopping in check, because we're making an offer on a new house tomorrow!

mellee, hope your offer goes well!

This may be the most embarrassing thing I've ever admitted on an internet forum. I just blocked a bunch of sites (including Sephora and Memebox) to put a speed bump between me and more online shopping. I've got to cut it out!

I keep adding products to my Sephora basket.  I keep looking for products all over the internet to add to my Sephora basket.  I am obsessed with finding "THE" products for me.  I must stick to the makeup I have whether its crappy or good for the month of August.  :rotfl:

Yesterday, I tried something different with makeup application.  Even products I have liked looked bad.  It was a disaster and I had a crisis thinking I need better stuff or a new face.   It was an " I am a hot mess day".

I have a feeling I will be going to CVS.  I have been having thoughts of its no shipping, cheap, etc.  Its just one eye liner and if I put it in the cart with laundry soap, a toothbrush and a pack of gum, its not really buying anything.  I think makeup has become my comfort food. 

Phew.  I got it all out.  Thanks for listening.

its not even august yet and im struggling already :c work stress is mounting to almost unbearable by now...

all it makes me wanna do is shop. perhaps this might be the "desperate" moment where I just use my giftcard.

Ok kids...I'm back for August. Originally I wasn't on a no buy for August. But my car died yesterday. Which means YAY new car!! It's so shiny! However this also means I am BROKE. My plan was to wait until October to get a car. Husband has a student loan that is a ridiculous amount of money (seriously, our most expensive bill other than rent...more than his car payment) that is paid off in October. So the plan was to get me a car then since we'd be used to paying a ton of money anyways. Buuttt apparently my car had different ideas about that. Our insurance also went up since it's a newer car.

That means I am B-R-O-K-E until October. Like zero spending money broke. My plan:

- NO. BUYING. ANYTHING. I am allowed today to go to the walmart and pick up a skincare item I am out of (and apparently is intregal to keeping me from breaking out because YIKES I'm a mess since I ran out) and a few random smaller items of my choice...since technically it's not august. This is not an option. This is not a "well I need it so its ok". Like I can not buy anything for 2 months. Only item that is allowed, IF I run out (which I won't in August, but might in September) is primer. That's it.

- STAY OUT OF THE INDIE and ENABLERS threads. They are just too tempting. Planning on sticking in here and the swap threads.

- When I TRULY can not take it, like about to die...I have $15 in gift cards to Target. I can spend that. Not a cent more.

This is going to be so hard. The outlet mall opens in 2 weeks and there will be a shiny new CCO full of MAC that I will want ALL OF IT, but I can not. I am allowed to go to the outlet mall with my mom and she can buy me presents, but no buying ANYTHING. It's 4x points at Sephora next week and I'm $90 away from re-rouging so my head says I need to go re-rouge and get the gift bag. Logic tells me I have an overflowing basket of samples already and I'll easily hit rouge again over black friday/xmas (I make hubby order my xmas gifts from sephora via my account) so there's really no point. I can do it. Even if I can't, I really have no choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back