Best lipsticks for dry lips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I just put honey on my lips and leave it on as long as I can (in the evening). I can only make it to 1 hour LOL. But it works great for me.

I use Elizabeth Ardens Eight Hour cream on a night before bed, and Carmex during the day. MACs Lustre range of lipsticks are quite moisturising and very much like a balm. These are the ones I tend to use during the day and don't have to apply lipbalm as much as I would otherwise.

Originally Posted by laurakitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put baby oil on my lips...weird, but it works!

That's horrible to use on your lips. I don't think mineral oil is very safe to use on your lips. I would use an oil that is safe to ingest, any vegetable based oils, like olive, grape seed, etc...

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem
frown.gif
I put on lip balm and Vaseline ALL the time, but my lips always get dry and flaky. I think for me part of the problem is working in a very dry work place - it's a big store with the high warehouse style ceilings, so all the moisture rises and it is pretty dry. So I feel your pain!

That's because vaseline is pure fat, your lips need fats and water. Besides, vaseline is too big to be broken down by your body, so it doesn't sink in either. Keep it only as a protective coat over another product.

If shea butter doesn't work, Reese, try mango butter, or cocoa. I've asked my supplier if there was any vegetable butter i should use preferably to others for lipbalms, and regarding that purpose, the answer was no, they're all good.

I make my own scrub using honey and brown sugar.

I use it in the shower so it's easy to rinse off, and it gets rid of any dry, flaky bits.

I use a lip balm as soon as I get out of the shower, and by the time I am ready to apply my lipstick my lips are smooth and primed.

My favourite lipbalm is Elf Therapeutic Conditioning Balm and my favourite most moisturising lipstick is Cover Girl Lipslick in Hipster, they're fab!

I have the same problem as you! I always prime my lips with MAC Prep+Prime before using any lipsticks.. especially those from MAC;-) Also I love rimmel lipsticks and the ones from dior, they don't dry out my lips at all! And Estee Lauder have great lippies too, they just smell a little strong LOL

I like to use TimeWise® Age-Fighting Lip Primer on my lips before I put lipstick on. It's the best lip primer I've ever used. It really makes your lipstick last all day. The best lip balm that I've found that helps keep my lips moisturized and helps heal them is Burt's Bees Medicated Lip Balm. I've tried so many different brands and it seems to be the only one that works for me that I can stand the taste and smell of. Also, I really like Mary Kay's Tinted Lip Balm as a substitute for lipstick sometimes, it glides on like a balm, but it's smooth, silky, covers just like lipstick, and it smells really good too.

I'm not sure how dry your lips are, but I usually apply a little C.O. Bigelow lip balm before putting on lipstick, and that does the trick for me.

I use a sugar and olive oil scrub at least once a month, and I scrub my lips with a warm cloth a few times a week, and then apply either Vaseline or a lip balm.  Doing this allows me to wear almost any lip product I choose: gloss/liner/lipstick or any combo of the 3. 

I have the same prob, my lips last only a while and afterwhich my lips becomes dry and sometimes i tend to be bite off my lips and it will peel off..sometimes its very painful.  I always keep my lips balm stand by in my pocket and each time its dry i just apply the lip balm. So far I find that the AVON lip balm works perfect for me.  Usually at night before I go to bed i apply the palmers cocoa butter on my lips and in the morning its soft and nice..it also seems to lighten my lips as it has become darker...

I cant use lipsticks frm maybelline, body shop and others where it tends to make my lips more drier. 

Hey there Ladies .... well this is my first post to the forum so here goes... I am a qualified makeup artist, holistic therapist and currently a Medical Student !!!

Your lips are like the rest of your skin only a lot more delicate ..... you need to keep them:

1. Cleansed - A Normal skin cleanser is fine for the lips nothing special is required
  2. Exfoliated -  ... a gentle daily exfoliant or weekly scrub is good ... those using honey, sugar, olive oil etc., these are all great natural products to be using
  3. Hydrated - hydrate from within at least 1.5L of water per day or if they are still struggling then Dermalogica Hydrating Booster gives them a drink from the outside and is one of my "emergency" products :)
  4. Moisturised
    • Natural balms e.g. bees wax are good ... mineral oils e.g. vasaline/baby oil are really not good for  your skin unless you have a medical condition that requires a barrier on the skin e.g. psoriasis and eczema.  - mineral oils occlude your skin and dont allow it to "breathe" or function properly - prolonged use means that your skin gets to the stage that it cant produce oils for itself and you end up permanently requiring the oil.
    • Applying a good moisturiser to your lips overnight can help keep them in good condition and there are many good ones out there on the market. A hydrating or nourishing masque can also be good every few days. 
    • For those of you who want to stay natural then a vitamin E Capsule broken and the oil added to a small amount of wheatgerm oil works wonders for the lips but also for dry areas of skin in general.
    • Daniel Sandler Face Primer is a fantastic prep for the skin under your lipstick or another silicone based primer works well - oilier primers then to make lipsticks slip
  5. Protected  
  • SPF's are good
  • Pigments in lipsticks provide protection also as they block light
  • Environmental factors play a big part - air conditioning, heating etc.
  • "Eating" gloss of your lips or biting your lips constantly remove layers from your lips and leave them unprotected and worn like constantly scratching your skin making them raw, sore and prone to dehydration.

Hope this is useful

Trevor

(The Makeup Medic - www.tkbridal.co.uk)

I went through the same issue. What i usually do is brush my lips when i when i brush my teeth. (sounds weird, yea i know.) It exfoliates the skin and gives you a nice plump too  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (since your lips swell a little after wards.) Apply vaseline OR carmex after. Other than that, my best recommendation for a good moisturizing lipstick is Rimmel London's "Moisture Renew Lipstick". Its extremely moisturizing, and the colors are very pigmented and buildable ... GOOD LUCK ! <3

Burts bees lipbalm(the honey not the other one) every night before bed ....also the olive oil/sugar scrub. I sometimes use my facial scrub on my lips if im being lazy. I wonder what causes dry lips?

I use a combination of products. I scrub first using Soap & Glory's Megamouth scrub, then I follow with EOS lip balm or You Stick Soap's lip balm. YSS, is an independent label, and their lip balms are amazing. Super moisturizing, feels great. It also has a slight shine so it doubles as natural looking gloss. I have the caramel apple flavor and it is just to die for. 

I've tried my lipsticks while playing around for Christmas looks, and i've tried them without lipbalm (i know, bad). Hands down to the Dior Addict, but it was the wrong color, so it had to go back to my stash. My MAC lipsticks after that were probably the most "moisturising", my Makeup Forever lipstick, however moisturising in itself, is so pigmented it only mirrors any flaw on your lips. So i would recommend the MAC or the Dior Addict lipsticks, even if in my opinion, it's always best to apply just lipbalm or a tinted lipbalm on chapped lips.

Back