Birchbox December 2014 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ughhhhh I really want that rose gold eyeliner but I don't wanna sign up and get november's box just so I can pick my sample for december. This is a huge reason why I stopped signing up for birchbox.

I think I'm going to leave it up to chance this month.

Has anyone else noticed the pattern though? All make-up choices one month, all skincare/haircare choices the next...always alternating. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I think that's a smart way to do it! Because most of the time, if it was, say, one makeup product and 2 or 3 other products, the vast majority would probably go for the makeup item (judging by the comments and posts I've always seen, both on here and in other places), and then when many couldn't get it, there'd be a sh!#storm! At least this way, the PYS samples tend to be pretty comparable. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ughhhhh I really want that rose gold eyeliner but I don't wanna sign up and get november's box just so I can pick my sample for december. This is a huge reason why I stopped signing up for birchbox.
Yea, I just got the email informing that I get to pick ... for what would be my second box, if I were to resubscribe for November. =\

anyone doing the 20% off a yearly subscription? I think that is a pretty good deal.

I'm fine with anything but the mascara, the liner seems popular, I'm a little interested in the lip item and the highlighter but the last item I got in that brand the sample was so small.  Curious what the curated box will be.

I am torn between the eyeliner and the lip stick. 

I am getting the mascara this month so I don't need that, my issue is, I don't exactly do eye liner so I feel like the pencil will be harder than liquid (that I used the 2 times I tried in my life). 

I like the lipstick, except I am pretty sure I will be getting some lip items in my Ipsy bag. 

I finally did it- I got a second sub. I referred myself and got 50 points and early sample choice. My sub got 100 points for BBRED100, plus another 10 points because I posted the word awesome on my fake facebook account (the one I created to skip the WL for ipsy). I feel like the accounts need cute names but all I can think of is Mainy and Subby. Hopefully the BB gods will send Subby some chocolate. Mainy got coconut chips which were tasty, but I feel like I am missing out on the weirdly flavored pods. But please no more G & S stuff. The body lotion smells so bad I am thinking of just throwing it out.  :sick:

AHAHAHA This showed up on my FB feed today: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/whats-addiction-subscription-boxes

"Subscribers take their deliveries so seriously that blogs warn of “spoilers” before discussing the contents of a particular box. It’s like learning the gender of your unborn baby, only the reveal involves small-batch pistachios."

omg, that snark. What do you guys think?

AHAHAHA This showed up on my FB feed today: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/whats-addiction-subscription-boxes

"Subscribers take their deliveries so seriously that blogs warn of “spoilers” before discussing the contents of a particular box. It’s like learning the gender of your unborn baby, only the reveal involves small-batch pistachios."

It's pretty funny but I think it misses why a lot of people subscribe.  For me it is how I give myself a treat every month.  It also has the added bonus of being able to try products in a very low pressure environment.  I can try something for a week without a salesperson trying to talk me into buying it.  

Don't get me wrong, I laugh at myself when I'm devoting time to eliminating boxes each month.  In my mind, some people play angry birds, I have birchbox.  

Does anyone know what day the PYS emails are sent out to ACES members? I always get the email a day or two late, which is really annoying. 

It's pretty funny but I think it misses why a lot of people subscribe. For me it is how I give myself a treat every month. It also has the added bonus of being able to try products in a very low pressure environment. I can try something for a week without a salesperson trying to talk me into buying it.

Don't get me wrong, I laugh at myself when I'm devoting time to eliminating boxes each month. In my mind, some people play angry birds, I have birchbox.
Sums up my feelings exactly!

omg! hilarious!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's pretty funny but I think it misses why a lot of people subscribe.  For me it is how I give myself a treat every month.  It also has the added bonus of being able to try products in a very low pressure environment.  I can try something for a week without a salesperson trying to talk me into buying it.  

Don't get me wrong, I laugh at myself when I'm devoting time to eliminating boxes each month.  In my mind, some people play angry birds, I have birchbox.
Hmmmmm after thinking on it a while, it actually did bother me. So I wrote a long response to it on their entry. XD I wonder if they'll reply. Probably not.

Tsk tsk this snark, Marketplace. Is it because the main audience of subscription boxes is women, therefore it's okay to take cheap potshots at them? I notice there aren't any equivalent reports about how many games the average gamer purchases, compared to the number of AAA games released a year, and how no one could conceivably give any game a fair play to keep up with the releases. And there we're even talking about an industry which women hold a 40% audience marketshare.

I agree that this subscription box thing has led to the accumulation of a lot of Stuff, some of which people don't want, but I think you've missed the reasoning of why people might decide to join a subscription service.

1) It is, arguably, a "gift" for yourself, but more importantly, it's also an opportunity to get a good "value" out of something. For $10 or $20 a month, you get to sample an array of products anywhere between 2-5 times the value of what you paid. Trends have shown that in economic recessions throughout history, women have turned to buying "little" luxury products like lipsticks (and now, nail polish) because it's both cheap and accessible, but also makes the consumer feel good about herself. Now the price of a lipstick is about $10 -- so why not put that towards a subscription where you can get a lipstick and 3-4 other beauty products to try as well?

2) The subscription box boom has been highly disruptive to the way the beauty industry works, where newer brands are able to gain inroads into audiences through non-traditional means. The American public is highly conscious and focused on on brands as a marker of quality and are highly loyal to brands, so subscription services create new opportunities to access an marketbase who might otherwise not otherwise want to try your product if it weren't already bundled along with a product they already know and like. 

3) Subscription boxes are about curation, not accumulation. A subscription service isn't -shopping- for you. It's obtaining products, and making recommendations and curations based on what the service thinks  you might like. I don't subscribe to a wine monthly box because I don't drink wine. I'm not with a cheese of the month box because I'm lactose intolerant. Yes, it's "stuff" but who are you to make the judgment that it's less valuable to a subscriber paying for the service, than say, picking our your own video games to add to your 200+ games collection and not getting to play more than 2-3 a week?

Also, the fact that the innovators who really pushed this disruption forward -- the founders of Birchbox -- are two businesswomen who operate in a space where the majority of the decisionmakers, influencers, and people on the receiving end of the profit are MEN dictating how women should look and feel about themselves-- well, I'm not saying you need to be on their side, but it's a LITTLE unfeminist to say the previous status quo was somehow better.

Honestly, it seems like the reporter already had her own opinions about subscription boxes and just wanted to write quirky quips rather than exploring the business model of a disruptive and booming industry. If the critique is of accumulating stuff, there's plenty in there to discuss, but that's a separate issue apart from why people choose to subscribe to these services and what make them successful. It probably would've helped, you know, to talk to the owner of one of these services or I don't know -- maybe even someone who subscribes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back