Birchbox July 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you do that? I would ask on the other forum, but I don't know if that question would belong there.
They send out an email letting us know and we have certain choices we can choose between (this month it was 3 different shades of Ruffian polish and 2 different shades of Cynthia Rowley creamy lip stain) and in each email there's a unique link that works only for the corresponding account so you go to the link and make your selection. You have to do it asap though because they run out the same day.

Honestly, I'm most excited about continuing the pick a sample because this is the first time I've had multiple accounts and not had a single dupe box.

Color club is fine by me! But I'm a polish junkie and would pick nailpolish every time!

I'm going to be watching my email like a hawk. Thank goodness my work colleague tipped me off on the first pick a sample or I would of missed out!!!

Color club is fine by me! But I'm a polish junkie and would pick nailpolish every time!

I'm going to be watching my email like a hawk. Thank goodness my work colleague tipped me off on the first pick a sample or I would of missed out!!!
I looked back into my emails and saw the select your sample came in on June 25. 

I'm surprised Harvey Prince can't just tell you if it contains real gardenia products or just a scent dupe.  Maybe they are just hedging their bets either way.  
My theory is that the person answering their emails doesn't know, and this is their canned response. My question wasn't important enough to ask someone who might know about it. My other theory is that it might be completely artificial, and they don't want to admit it, in case it gets out, because it doesn't sound good from a marketing perspective. Either way, I am annoyed. I'm not willing to get hives and risk going on steroids over their perfume.

From a biology POV, it depends on what part of the gardenia she is allergic too.  Probably the pollen, but since they aren't sure it's always better to do a spot test.  Flower allergies are weird--I have a lot of pollen allergies but Queen Anne's Lace sets me off like nothing else.
I'm allergic to any kind of gardenia oil, including monoi and tiare. Not just pollen! I found this out, as I love natural products, and gardenia is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. So the answer should not depend on what part of it is in the oil. Just like someone allergic to peanuts should not use any product with any kind of peanut part in it. It's not complicated.

ETA: Also, I have not gotten the Sneak Peek Prize package yet. On July third, they told me they were waiting for one last item and then would send it. I kind of thought they were waiting on the perfume, since it was out of stock for a while, but it has been back in stock since shortly after that email, and I haven't heard a peep. I'm going to wait until the end of this month, and then send them a reminder email. I believe they are good for it. But experience has taught me that when I win something, sometimes I have to persistently remind a company to send my prize. Some companies "forget." This is notoriously true for Lucky Magazine giveaways, since it is usually the sponsor company responsible for sending the prize, however I have had it happen with other magazine giveaways as well. Sometimes I suspect an intern with sticky fingers. Like I said, I believe Birchbox is good for the prize. I've never heard anyone complain about their prize fulfillment. It's hard waiting, though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
My theory is that the person answering their emails doesn't know, and this is their canned response. My question wasn't important enough to ask someone who might know about it. My other theory is that it might be completely artificial, and they don't want to admit it, in case it gets out, because it doesn't sound good from a marketing perspective. Either way, I am annoyed. I'm not willing to get hives and risk going on steroids over their perfume.
I'm leaning towards your second theory. It would be pretty embarrassing for them to admit that there is no actual gardenia derivatives in their perfume. 

I'm allergic to any kind of gardenia oil, including monoi and tiare. Not just pollen! I found this out, as I love natural products, and gardenia is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. So the answer should not depend on what part of it is in the oil. Just like someone allergic to peanuts should not use any product with any kind of peanut part in it. It's not complicated.

ETA: Also, I have not gotten the Sneak Peek Prize package yet. On July third, they told me they were waiting for one last item and then would send it. I kind of thought they were waiting on the perfume, since it was out of stock for a while, but it has been back in stock since shortly after that email, and I haven't heard a peep. I'm going to wait until the end of this month, and then send them a reminder email. I believe they are good for it. But experience has taught me that when I win something, sometimes I have to persistently remind a company to send my prize. Some companies "forget." This is notoriously true for Lucky Magazine giveaways, since it is usually the sponsor company responsible for sending the prize, however I have had it happen with other magazine giveaways as well. Sometimes I suspect an intern with sticky fingers. Like I said, I believe Birchbox is good for the prize. I've never heard anyone complain about their prize fulfillment. It's hard waiting, though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I didn't mean it in a dismissing way. People who are allergic to peanuts are allergic to a specific protein; when they do allergy tests for specific plants they generally use purified pollen products. It isn't simple by any means. Im just curious to the process by which they purify scent for commercial perfumes. I know lavender scents alone can be bad allergy and asthma triggers for a lot of people. It's interesting.

Just used BBFAB100 on two accounts. Thanks for the 200 points BB and thanks to the people of MUT! What would I do without you! I wonder if BB will ever close the door on people being able to use codes on accounts closed and reopened in a matter of minutes!? I hope not!

Considering many full-size lipsticks are 0.04 oz, it's not an incredibly small sample at 0.01 oz, but the packaging sure does make it look tiny.
Seriously?!  There are full-sized lipsticks that small?!?!  Can you think of an example off-hand?  I can't even picture that!

I joined on the 12th.  Yesterday I got my clicky-truck, and today I see my box.  =)  #8.  Not too bad a'tall!  The only real groaner in the box is the vitamin.  (Assuming, of course, the eyeliner is silver, as shown.)

bb8_385x385_1_3.jpg

Well I did my July reviews, cancelled and re-subbed with 100 point code.  Hope it doesn't mess up my select a sample for August!
I don't think it will! I did on multiple accounts and it worked on my account and I know a bunch of other people did the same. I swear it was just a copout and they made it up. 

@@Pixels I used BBFab100
Ooh thanks! Totally didn't know about that code!

Seriously?!  There are full-sized lipsticks that small?!?!  Can you think of an example off-hand?  I can't even picture that!

I joined on the 12th.  Yesterday I got my clicky-truck, and today I see my box.  =)  #8.  Not too bad a'tall!  The only real groaner in the box is the vitamin.  (Assuming, of course, the eyeliner is silver, as shown.)

bb8_385x385_1_3.jpg
Yay thanks for posting! I subbed the same time and my box revealed today too. Sadly it's a dupe of a box I got on one of my other accounts yesterday (purple laqa, Whish shave cream, 100% Pure foils, Real Chemistry peel, and wonder eye cream) I was really hoping if I got another account, I'd get lucky and get a Posiebalm or BP hair mask. Back to the trade thread I suppose. I mainly did a 5th box because I thought with the magazine/refund it was too good of a deal. Although it sounds like you can only do the refund once?

For next month, I hope the pick a sample is something other than nail polish since they did that this month. I also hope they still sample posiebalm and add in the push up liners. Also, saw a lot of new Dr. Jart in the shop which I wouldn't mind trying!

I hope the pick a sample isn't a pick your choice of Coola products, or supergoop! Eek!

So far they've really only done pick your samples for color choices....

Hmm...

Seriously?! There are full-sized lipsticks that small?!?! Can you think of an example off-hand? I can't even picture that!
I think most are around 3 grams or 0.1oz..mac lipsticks are 0.1oz and the fullsized posie balm is 0.1oz so the sample is 1/10th the fullsize. I think the actual product is just glorified chapstick in a pretty tube considering how sheer and pricey it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back