Boycott St. Valentines Day

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by esha /img/forum/go_quote.gif boys suck. That's why I usually date girls.

Wow.. so my fiance and I love Valentine's Day. We show love every single day and give gifts all the time, but we like to do the traditional romantic weekend out at a nice hotel, and we find that the restaurants we like always have dinner / dessert specials on Valentine's Day, which is nice. Valentine's Day was a special time that my family and I shared while I was growing up, my mom would hide candy under my pillow when I was a kid, so that when I woke up, I had something exciting waiting for me. I also loved getting Valentine's cards from kids in elementary school, especially if it was from a boy that I liked. I guess that since my family raised me on loving every single holiday, that I still carry on that tradition with my own family and we enjoy it!

Darla hit it on the head. A Hallmark Holiday. I walk about seeing the shop windows full of dumb cuddly toys holding hearts, plastic roses and all manner of other crapola. I love the idea of a day when you can send an anonymous card to someone you fancy but the whole I love you you love me schmoozy kitch stuff is beyond the pale.

Mind you if he wants to go to the Chocolate Hotel and get me a chocolate heart, I won't stop him. :]

Ha! I agree with Sherbert and Esha! Maybe I AM one of the bitter singles. But even when I was in a relationship, I never enjoyed the holiday.

I once had a bf (who worked at the same bank as I did, different location) who got me flowers on V-Day and I thought it was SO sweet. Until I found out that the girls he worked with pretty much told him he 'had' to do it because it was V-Day. That totally ruined the sentiment for me.

On the other hand, I dated a guy who once bought me ONE big bright orange gerbera daisy (my favorite) because I was going out of town for the weekend. That silly little flower sat in a diet coke can and rode in my cupholder for my whole trip, and totally made me smile and think of my sweetie when I looked at it.

Seems like a lot of people think "OH she's a loser--she didn't get flowers for Valentine's Day"

and trying to go out when it is that busy

and paying twice as much for flowers, etc. just because it's February 14. I just don't get it.

I always loved Valentine's Day... even when I was single. My mom always went out of her way to make our Valentine's Day special. Don't get me wrong, she showed love for us all year long, she just liked making that day special for us. It wasn't always about gifts either, although we did get a few small gifts from our mom and dad.

Now I do the same for Connor and Isabella... I want them to grow up loving V-day.

Another reason I love Valentine's Day was when I first started dating Billy, we were together only a month and a half. I was extremely sick but stuck working on Valentines Day with no chance of getting off... even with how sick I was. Billy came to my work and said he had a surprise for me, and it turned out to be a gold heart necklace and matching heart earrings. It was sooo nice because I totally wasn't expecting anything... and it just cheered me up because I was SO sick.

Back